shape
carat
color
clarity

Spill! Who got Gene's new beauties?!?!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I won't pretend to be a merchant web designer, but just out of curiosity, what are the pros/cons of using an etsy interface? Are those sites more costly or cumbersome to run vs what (for example) Gene has in place today? From a customer perspective, etsy seems pretty easy/user friendly and up to date on sold vs available items.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
katharath|1396754708|3648220 said:
Unfortunately I also missed Barry's drop today too, not by much time either - and there were a few things I really wanted there, of course already sold. Such a depressing feeling, isn't it?? *sigh*. First world problems, I guess.

Same here. Feeling very grumbly about it. heh.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just received Gene's latest e-mail, and am wondering if the new gems have been snapped up already.

The single Rhrodolite Garnet caught my eyes, as well as the 3-stone Rhrodolite Garnet suite.

DK :))

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VapidLapid|1396801930|3648403 said:
I think Precision Gems' inventory is on Gene's server, while checkout is handled by paypal from their's so the lag happens if Gene doesn't sit home after posting new stones for hours waiting to remove their availability from his site manually as they sell. Paypal ought to have a system so that it doesn't process more than one transaction for any inventory number. I think paypal enjoys having the float of so many people's money for the few days while the transfer of funds clears to them plus the time it takes for the refund to process. I wouldn't fault Gene for that. Small businesses of one person can't really afford to own their own credit card processing, and many consumers like the protection they feel with paypal. I have noticed over the years Gene has tried to shake things up with his drops, sometimes sending out email announcements sometimes via twitter saying that sometime that day or another the drop will happen, but no specific time to make things more fair. The fact is Gene has quality product in limited supply with high demand and very fair pricing. The global market of internet shopping means that (m)any of the seven billion people can be trying to snag on of five stones in a drop. I would not call it an injury if I didn't get the purchase of a unique item that paypal processed more than once. More than that I would not call it an added insult to have waited a month for delivery only to find that I had been emailed regarding the refund, but hadn't read my email. If you are lucky enough to triumph on the transaction you are likely burning someone else just as they burn you when you lose out.

Vapid is correct (as usual) about how the payment system works. The payments actually go through Paypal, not my site, so I then must manually update the site. Making the returns is not really a problem on my end, it only takes a few minutes, but I do feel bad if someone thought they got a stone only to find out that they didn't. The same thing happens to me when buying rough with a few vendors. The good news is, there are always more stones on another day.

As far as an Etsy store, I'm not sure if an item is marked sold instantly or not, as I have never used it. But there is a fee for each transaction and listing. For me, it would amount to about $4000 per year in fee's. I'd rather manually process the returns, and keep my prices lower, not passing that cost on with the price of the stone. I used to take credit cards, but that was expensive, as there was a fee of 3% for the sale, and then in the case of a return, I would get charged another 3%. So it would turn out to be 6% and no sale! On a $1000 stone that's $60 plus another $0.50 in transaction fees. Large business can negotiate a much better rate with credit card companies, but for the small guy you pay.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another thing that happens a lot, believe it not, is people will buy a stone with the online cart, then a few hours later, email to cancel or return it. Sometimes a person will buy 2 or 3 stones, maybe think it over for an hour, then cancel 1 or 2 of them. So in this instance, the next person in line who sent in a payment would get the stone. So it can actually work to your advantage that the website doesn't instantly update.

Elyxia

Rough_Rock
People must snap the stones super fast. I actually thought I managed to get the single garnet seeing as I made the payment even before the new stone listing mail got in my inbox as I stumbled on the site as it just got updated but alas got refunded :cry:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was quick, especially it is weekend and not many people online etc...

Well done to those lucky peeps who bagged the Rhodolite Garnets, as they are beautiful.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The rhodolites are beautiful -- they tempted me a lot. But, sigh, I grabbed myself by the collar & walked myself off the site. ;(

--- Laurie

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too was very tempted, however, I do not have many pennies to spare at the mo, as I am working with Jeff White on a project for my big 50 next year.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone wants to sell a stone from the garnet suite, please let me know. I'd be VERY interested in buying off of you.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I got a refund for the single garnet too. :( The suite was fantastic! I'd love to get my hands on one of those.

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Someone PLEASE post photos of the single garnet. I was very very tempted also, but showed great self-restraint (for once)!

planet_jp

Rough_Rock
I got the single garnet.

A little background info. I've been an avid reader of Pricescope for several years, ever since I became interested in gemstones. I guess you'd call me a lurker (but definitely not the kind who would steal something someone else posted!) I've learned a tremendous amount from this forum. I've studied diamonds as well, but my real love is colored gemstones. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of disposable income, but I have collected a few inexpensive stones. I've been wanting something cut by Gene for so long, but whenever I saw something I wanted, it was either too expensive or gone in a flash. I just got lucky with this garnet - I must have pulled up my email just as he sent his. I quickly ran it past my husband and decided to go for it.

I'll try to post pics when I get it--I think there's a thread that explains how to do that? I can also start a new thread and show you the few others that I have. I'm planning to set the garnet in a Stuller sterling silver (say that three times fast) half bezel slide pendant.

So, that's it. Thanks for being here and being willing to share your knowledge.

Elyxia

Rough_Rock
Congrats planet_jp! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of it and also of your collection :naughty:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elyxia|1400534332|3676294 said:
Congrats planet_jp! Looking forward to seeing the pictures of it and also of your collection :naughty:

+1, well done!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats planet_jp!

I'm sure it will be stunning! Please share your feedback and pics once it arrives.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Planet JP,
Drops are fair and square because it is first come, first served and if you even think about it for a minute, it's gone. So I do not consider your getting lucky with Gene's garnet a lurking snatching act at all. Congrats on your new stone and I look forward to a thread (and pictures) of it in CS.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not alone in subscribing to gem cutters' newsletters (as well as other types of jewellery that I may be interested, such as pearls), in the hope that I would be forewarned about upcoming goodies and offers.

I appreciate the goods will be sold on a first come first serve basis, therefore, I have no hard feelings towards those who begged the ones that I would love to have myself. :D

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I feel bad that I got the garnet suite. I don't know so many people want that.
I am not in the email list yet but I check the web site almost every morning since I joined the forum not too long ago. I want to find something red or green, so I ordered as soon as I saw them. I also ordered the tsavorite Green Garnet at the same time.

I will post pictures once I receive them.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
MelodySaw|1400599718|3676789 said:
Wow, I feel bad that I got the garnet suite. I don't know so many people want that.
I am not in the email list yet but I check the web site almost every morning since I joined the forum not too long ago. I want to find something red or green, so I ordered as soon as I saw them. I also ordered the tsavorite Green Garnet at the same time.

I will post pictures once I receive them.

If you post pics we'll all forgive you :bigsmile: :tongue:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done, MelodySaw, in getting the garnet suite. Pics please!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the suite. We will only "forgive" you if you start a new thread and post pictures of them. :devil: :bigsmile:

sfilly

Rough_Rock
I bought the 7mm round light blue sapphire that's still listed. The paypal payment went through, but the stone still appears to be available on his website so I'm not going to get too excited until it switches to 'out of stock' or I know that it's in the mail. I loove the colour of it.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melodysaw and planet_jp, please don't feel bad for winning these stones - they are first come first serve, so good on you for being able to snag some beautiful stones! Hope you enjoy these and do post pics on PS when you get them.

That said, DIBS if you ever sell :cheeky:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
kama_s|1400612409|3676936 said:
Melodysaw and planet_jp, please don't feel bad for winning these stones - they are first come first serve, so good on you for being able to snag some beautiful stones! Hope you enjoy these and do post pics on PS when you get them.

Exactly! I figure for all the ones I've missed, it's just not meant to be, and someday I'll come out the winner :) But I do really enjoy pics when people get new sparkly things.

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
I would like thank all for being so kind and willing to share Your Insight and Knowledge. I will absolutely take a lots of micro shots of those beautiful stones. Also I definitely need helps to turn those beauty into gorgeous rings or pendants.

Thanks again.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to you both for snagging some good ones! :wavey: Looking forward to seeing your pics when they arrive.

--- Laurie

MelodySaw

Shiny_Rock
I still have not received my stones yet. I Can't Wait Any Longer !

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
sfilly|1400608826|3676875 said:
I bought the 7mm round light blue sapphire that's still listed. The paypal payment went through, but the stone still appears to be available on his website so I'm not going to get too excited until it switches to 'out of stock' or I know that it's in the mail. I loove the colour of it.
I noticed earlier that it's still marked as available? Did you email him about it?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Please post pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results