carat
color
clarity

Spessartite garnet from Gemselect?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrincessCath,
The stones you've picked out are either too yellow or brown for my taste. Personally, I rather have a more yellowish spessartite than a brownish one. Some have a combination of yellow and brown and look really terrible, so you have to be careful about that as well.

This is my spessartite that I purchased over ten years ago. I'm not sure if you love this color, but I love it, and when I look for a spessartite, I try to find ones that match this. The color is more intense than this photo conveys. Some are more yellow, and some are more brown, but you should get ones with as little brown as possible, as that impedes saturation of color. The darker ones typically have a lot more brown. Spessartite is one of the most over photoshopped gems, so you really have to be careful, especially if spending a great deal of money. Make sure the vendor has an iron clad return policy.

Honestly, I think it's really hard to find a decent spessartite these days, especially with certain size specifications. I think you're better off looking at amethyst. However, buy from a reputable seller, as much of it is synthetic, and sold as natural.

TLpearspessring.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
A friend brought some amethysts a few weeks ago and brought them round for me to look at. They were large, exceptional colour, beautifully cut, came with a 'report and appraisal' from the vendor stating natural.

They looked perfect right up until I checked for Brazil Law Twinning. Fortunately they were older type synthetics and so there was none to be seen, but newer types of synthetic will pass even that test.

She bought hers from an eBay seller - I forget the name but can find out - who had 99.9% feedback for several thousand transactions and despite selling a ton of the stuff had never been called out for selling synthetics.

Given that testing (especially if the Brazil law twinning test is positive) can cost as much or more than the stone, please always buy from reputable sources and if it's large, top colour and very cheap, assume synthetic.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
TL, your spessartite is drop-dead gorgeous, and I love the setting too. Pandora, thanks for the warning re: synthetic amethyst.

For the spess, thanks to you all, I now have a far better idea of the quality and colors available, and the corresponding price range. I don't think I could find something good for under $1,000. Also, if I do find a beautiful stone in a different size or shape, it would be a pity to pass it up because it doesn't fit my setting. I learned a lot about this stone in a couple of days, and would love to own one, but maybe right now is not the time.

OTOH I can find a good amethyst well within my limited budget. Speaking of which, I found this, in my setting size, at Art Cut Gems, a vendor I have heard recommended here. I don't think I would run a risk with synthetics there, right? I find it a bit dark, but Rick writes me: "It has the beautiful rich reddish-purple saturation of Zambian stones, while the cutting style provides flash and brightness." The cut is not a classic, but it's not off-the-wall either, as some concaves can be.

What do you think?

Amethyst ArtCutGems ConAme 4a.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I'll vouch for Rick any day of the week - I've had lovely stones from him and he's a very good gemmologist as well as a vendor of stones.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Pandora|1329246700|3126140 said:
I'll vouch for Rick any day of the week - I've had lovely stones from him and he's a very good gemmologist as well as a vendor of stones.

And very responsive too! What do you think of the amethyst? I like the reddish tinge, but a diamond halo will make any stone darker...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess Cath apologies for my lateness in replying. Please blame time zones and tardiness!

You asked my opinion on the Spess you had linked to. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of Spess which is why I didn't comment (sorry). I actually don't like orange if I see brown. I don't mind seeing a yellowish orange or a Spess that's very very red but brown is a "no no" for me.

I do like the Amethyst you linked to and the cut is very pretty.

Can I ask you a question? Most people have heard of sapphires and (non-gem gurus) will often look at a ring and instantly recognise a ruby, sapphire or emerald. People also (those not in the know) may perceive amethyst as a much cheaper gemstone. Of course we all know that good ones are gorgeous but there is this perception that they're not valuable. I only mention this because your name is Princess Cath and you may prefer a stone that has a bit more cache to it? ;)) I'm playing devil's advocate here because I actually do like the Amethyst but you need to be very happy with your choice.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
LD|1329251623|3126201 said:
Princess Cath apologies for my lateness in replying. Please blame time zones and tardiness!

Can I ask you a question? Most people have heard of sapphires and (non-gem gurus) will often look at a ring and instantly recognise a ruby, sapphire or emerald. People also (those not in the know) may perceive amethyst as a much cheaper gemstone. Of course we all know that good ones are gorgeous but there is this perception that they're not valuable. I only mention this because your name is Princess Cath and you may prefer a stone that has a bit more cache to it? ;)) I'm playing devil's advocate here because I actually do like the Amethyst but you need to be very happy with your choice.

Certainly LD, you have more than earned the right to ask this question. Truth is, I am a gem lover, not a gem snob. I have a lifelong fondness for amethysts. Also I wear a lot of purple, so it would go very nicely with many of my clothes.

That's the nice thing about being a princess: I make the gem classy, not the other way around. 8-) My amethyst in its diamond halo would look quite the thing.

About my sapphire ring, many people don't even recognize it as a sapphire (I get a lot of "Oh, what a lovely tanzanite!") because they identify sapphires with those opaque, inky things. That's my main concern with the amethyst: that it may be too dark. But if Rick is a great guy, and he says it's a sparkler, I am very very tempted.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
About amethysts, I live in France, and here the top jewelry houses use them in their collections. Here are designs by Cartier (I am not a fan of Cartier generally, too "classy" for my taste, but this one is nice) and Chaumet (from the "Catch me if you can" line, which I love.) Chaumet uses lots of yummy colored stones...

Amethyst Cartier.jpg

amethyst ring Chaumet.jpeg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrincessCath|1329259196|3126298 said:
That's the nice thing about being a princess: I make the gem classy, not the other way around. 8-)

Now that is a great attitude!

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1329551945|3128628 said:
PrincessCath|1329259196|3126298 said:
That's the nice thing about being a princess: I make the gem classy, not the other way around. 8-)

Now that is a great attitude!

Thanks, Minous! :)

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Amusing note: I went to Tiffany's yesterday (on an unrelated errand) wearing this ring. The salesman exclaimed "Wow, nice tanzanite!" Cute, esp. since I am rough on my jewelry, and a tanzanite ring would last me about a week.

So thanks to your comments here, I realized that within my budget I can only get an inferior stone. A good spessartite for my setting would run at least $1,000. Also, LD's remark that it was actually a pretty stone made an impression, I started looking at my sapphire with a new eye. All right, I know it will never be considered a good stone, but the color is unusual for a sapphire (tanzanite!!!) and I like unusual. The other night I was wearing it at sunset close to a emerald set in a bracelet, and someone remarked that they looked very similar in color. True, it turns bluish/green in some light conditions. Maybe it has some yellow fluorescence? Plus it's unheated, which it itself may make it a curio if the trend to fry sapphires goes on.

Whatever, it is a quirky little guy, and I have decided to keep it. Thanks to all from steering me away from a bad decision!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so pleased you've decided to leave it alone! From your description I'm wondering if it is actually a colour shifting sapphire? It sounds like it from your description, which, in my world, makes it sensational!

You can always buy an Amethyst or some such other stone and put it into a setting of your choice but as your sapphire (aka tanzanite :lol: ) is getting compliments, it sounds like a ring that shouldn't be messed with!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy your Saptanzathyst!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1330276138|3134938 said:

:lol: I agree - enjoy your stone! If it makes you happy and you love it - that's what counts :bigsmile:

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
VapidLapid|1330276138|3134938 said:
:appl: Great name for this tricky colour-change baby!

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
I'm not an expert of Spess, so I didn't comment earlier-- I really like the color of your sapphire, so I think it's wonderful that you've decided to keep it as is!

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and another thing: last night I gave the ring a bath in tepid soapy water (its first in many years.) It improved wonderfully the clarity and sparkle! :D
The color is more vibrant too. The closest match I could find on the net was the "denim blue" Montana sapphires, though I am almost sure it's not American.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad that you've fallen in love with your sapphire all over again (and saved at least $1K to boot :bigsmile: ). Cleaning any piece of jewellery can go a long way in helping them look their best. If the faceting is worn out, a bit of a repolish will do the trick. The stone has to be unmounted but there is very little carat weight loss and almost no change in dimensions.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1330367435|3135695 said:
So glad that you've fallen in love with your sapphire all over again (and saved at least $1K to boot :bigsmile: ). Cleaning any piece of jewellery can go a long way in helping them look their best. If the faceting is worn out, a bit of a repolish will do the trick. The stone has to be unmounted but there is very little carat weight loss and almost no change in dimensions.

Oh yes, Chrono, I can use the :$$): on other gems. Cash seriously needed for FCD project... https://www.pricescope.com/communit...dish-yellow-intense-possible-leibisch.172089/

As for the facets of this one, that's the beauty of sapphires: after many years of daily abuse, they are as sharp as ever. Not a scratch on the table either.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results