shape
carat
color
clarity

Sparkling Stones?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that I'm on my way to figuring out the picture thing, I planned on having a big photo shoot of some of my rings. So I get out a toothbrush and warm soapy water to get them all ready for picture day. I soak and scrub and take them outside for their big debut. And that's when I see they're still dirty. I think the technical term is schmutz. :-o :shock: I soaked them and scrubbed them for crying out loud! How can they still have dried bits, and fuzz and stuff caught around the prongs? Photo shoot was cancelled.

So what do you do to get your mounted stones really clean? What more can I do?

I am sorry I don't have pictures for you - talk to my uncooperative kids about that.

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
You are describing on ongoing battle I have constantly while photographing gemstones. With jewelry there are many more places for dust, dirt and stray fibers to hide. You might try a common jewelers loupe to inspect for dirt while cleaning, the subject needs to be spotless because the smallest spec of dirt will be magnified to extreme in the finished photo. You know all that though! :twirl:

Everyone asks me for secrets. Here's a link to a common tool I make heavy use of. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Giottos-Rocket-Air-Blower-Review.aspx

Good Luck!

Regards,

Jeffrey Hunt

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always use very hot water to rinse the soap off, and I use a leather chamois on stones that are a 7 and higher on the hardness scale. They make jewelery sized leather chamois.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results