shape
carat
color
clarity

Something you don't see everyday -- fancy deep green fcd

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I always find uncommon fcd colours interesting.

It looks like dark green diopside (and I'd rather save the $ and get one of those), which is not saying much, but it's a cool colour for an fcd anyway.

It seems like the girdle has/is the rough area that allows GIA to determine that the colour is certainly natural. I'm curious about the price since these are rarely offered for sale.

http://www.leibish.com/green-diamond/017ct-fancy-deep-green-round-vs2-165017-21908

_27455.jpg

_27456.jpg

_27457.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Cool!!! :love:

But... looks exactly like a treated one!!!

But for a collector....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's rare to see a forest green diamond with natural color, but I must say, it's rather unattractive to me. I wonder if it has any life or sparkle IRL.

I guess its for those collectors who want rare, and not beauty.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1424965023|3838502 said:
It's rare to see a forest green diamond with natural color, but I must say, it's rather unattractive to me. I wonder if it has any life or sparkle IRL.

I guess its for those collectors who want rare, and not beauty.

And it is not red!!!

Yesterday I met a friend from another forum who showed many untreated and treated FCDs - some forest green too - they don't sparkle!

Very interesting but these colors are not very interesting except the "radioactive" greenyellow HPHT diamonds.

This little diamond I think they will ask five figures - a GIA report would not be enough here imo.

They should send it to GIA for some research - never seen this color before ... ( I know there is a vivid green but the pics are a bit pimped)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a dark green FCD suffers from the same problem as a dark chrome green demantoid does; the dark tone hampers the amount of sparkle/fire typically seen in lighter toned diamonds.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1424966357|3838506 said:
I think a dark green FCD suffers from the same problem a the dark chrome green demantoid does; the dark tone hampers the amount of sparkle/fire typically seen in lighter toned diamonds.

+1

Same with Benitoite.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sad with Bennies......and too bad re this green diamond, too......
but a collector is still going to love it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to say I'm impressed with all the knowledge here about FCD's. Only on Pricescope will you find people who are questioning the beauty of rare and valuable FCD's. As with anything, most people feel that just because a gem is extremely expensive, it MUST be beautiful, right?? This topic answers that question with, "not necessarily." ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1424966750|3838508 said:
Chrono|1424966357|3838506 said:
I think a dark green FCD suffers from the same problem a the dark chrome green demantoid does; the dark tone hampers the amount of sparkle/fire typically seen in lighter toned diamonds.

+1

Same with Benitoite.

Most benitoite is a dead ringer for under-saturated blue spinel IMO.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1424972054|3838545 said:
I will have to say I'm impressed with all the knowledge here about FCD's. Only on Pricescope will you find people who are questioning the beauty of rare and valuable FCD's. As with anything, most people feel that just because a gem is extremely expensive, it MUST be beautiful, right?? This topic answers that question with, "not necessarily." ;-)

A 1000$ Taaffeite looks like a 10$ Sri Lanka Spinel - a Musgravite would be 3K!!! Another example .....

( But I love them and buy them - same with Bennies :oops: )

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1424973897|3838578 said:

A 1000$ Taaffeite looks like a 10$ Sri Lanka Spinel - a Musgravite would be 3K!!! Another example .....

A long time ago, I would wonder why people would pay so much more for a stone that was a look alike. For example, many pink tourmaline have a very similar shade to some pink sapphires, but of course the pink sapphire would be much more expensive if all else were equal (treatment, clarity, carat weight, cut, shape, etc. . . . ). I can also understand paying more for a sapphire over a tourmaline because of the increased durability/hardness, higher RI, and better luster. However, when two stones are so similar, like taaffeite and spinel, in so many of their physical characteristics (not just hue), I have a harder time justifying a taaffite, when I can get so much more bang for my buck with a spinel. This is just my opinion, and no one has to agree, this is a personal choice, but I thought I'd share my viewpoint in any case. :)

I personally don't care for benitoite because although its more expensive than blue spinel, at least spinel is much more durable. I feel spinel is a much better value, but I'm not a rare gem collector. I collect based on beauty and lack of invasive treatment.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have numbers, but I would venture to guess this is one of the rarest colors on earth. I LOVE it. Wish it were 10 carats and on my finger though lol!!!!!!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Here are two more deep greens which Leibish have had. The mq shape is also 0.17ct.

fancy-deep-green-marquise-diamond-l4069.jpg

18_fancy-deep_0_green.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think these stones are pretty. I find that the darker the FCD the less sparkle, brilliance and light dispersion that is unique to a diamond. I know that a red FCD is much sought after but I have not seen an image of one that shines and sparkles like a diamond. Any examples out there? How different does the best red FCD compare to the best ruby?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1424974475|3838583 said:

A long time ago, I would wonder why people would pay so much more for a stone that was a look alike. For example, many pink tourmaline have a very similar shade to some pink sapphires, but of course the pink sapphire would be much more expensive if all else were equal (treatment, clarity, carat weight, cut, shape, etc. . . . ). I can also understand paying more for a sapphire over a tourmaline because of the increased durability/hardness, higher RI, and better luster. However, when two stones are so similar, like taaffeite and spinel, in so many of their physical characteristics (not just hue), I have a harder time justifying a taaffite, when I can get so much more bang for my buck with a spinel. This is just my opinion, and no one has to agree, this is a personal choice, but I thought I'd share my viewpoint in any case. :)

I personally don't care for benitoite because although its more expensive than blue spinel, at least spinel is much more durable. I feel spinel is a much better value, but I'm not a rare gem collector. I collect based on beauty and lack of invasive treatment.

Yeah, it is a different world - you "use" gems and create ( like many here ) beautiful rings - so you need a durable and attractive gem.
I collect interesting material - don't care about bow tie, extinction or window ( but I am a bit picky now too :D )

I learn a lot - hope some here like it if I post unusual gems or color varieties but I understand nobody would buy a colorless Chrysoberyl for a ring or pendant.

Benitoite is a great collector gem but in jewellery I agree a spinell, saphire ( light blue Sri Lanka) or Tanzanite is a much better choice.

My "benitoite" is Montana Sapphire - many here love them - I think many have an ugly color and look like cheap qualities from other countries - but is it your US sapphire - maybe that is a reason so many like them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1424981869|3838638 said:
My "benitoite" is Montana Sapphire - many here love them - I think many have an ugly color and look like cheap qualities from other countries - but is it your US sapphire - maybe that is a reason so many like them.

The other big draw for Montana sapphires is that they are conflict free. That is very important to many people in this day and age.

BTW, if I were in the market for a colorless stone, I would buy a colorless chrysoberyl if it were well cut, because 1) amazing durability and 2) amazing brilliance and luster 3) no treatment 4) affordable (especially when compared to sapphire). Would I buy a colorless danburite though, no. For me, it's weighing all the options when looking for something, and there are many variables to consider.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
But Loverskites - please continue to post gems like that!!!!!

So interesting to discuss them!!! :appl: :appl:

And I would have no problem to see these 3 Diamonds in a glass lid box in my collection :naughty:

But we have to buy a treated if we want this color :(sad

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1424974475|3838583 said:

Yeah, it is a different world - you "use" gems and create ( like many here ) beautiful rings - so you need a durable and attractive gem.
I collect interesting material - don't care about bow tie, extinction or window ( but I am a bit picky now too :D )

I learn a lot - hope some here like it if I post unusual gems or color varieties but I understand nobody would buy a colorless Chrysoberyl for a ring or pendant.

Benitoite is a great collector gem but in jewellery I agree a spinell, saphire ( light blue Sri Lanka) or Tanzanite is a much better choice.

I'm very grateful to see a collector of rare stone's perspective. It's very different from what I've been exposed to on PS, for sure. Also, I always appreciate it when you post photos of your unusual gem varieties.

I'm kinda proud of this forum that it caused you to become more picky!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1424982016|3838639 said:

The other big draw for Montana sapphires is that they are conflict free. That is very important to many people in this day and age.

BTW, if I were in the market for a colorless stone, I would buy a colorless chrysoberyl if it were well cut, because 1) amazing durability and 2) amazing brilliance and luster 3) no treatment 4) affordable (especially when compared to sapphire). Would I buy a colorless danburite though, no. For me, it's weighing all the options when looking for something, and there are many variables to consider.

Then maybe some Sapphires from France would be interesting! Gemfrance offers some nice little blue gems from Auvergne - D. Gravier offered some last Munich Show - very nice!!!

http://www.gemfrance.com/2011-12-19th-more-sapphires-from?#1239

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1424982199|3838642 said:
But Loverskites - please continue to post gems like that!!!!!

As long as you share your collection with us through photos sometimes, I will :)
Well, I would anyway, actually :razz:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I don't consider the color ugly, but I do agree that the sparkle is probably not there. My yellow diamonds don't sparkle that much either, but that is all due to the fact they are not cut for performance as they are cut for color. I also probably have demantoids almost that color and the round one does sparkle a lot.

But, the real reason i [posted on this thread is that I see that Gem France is still touting his fantasy Congo Andesines. He has sold some to Dior who has put them in a piece of flower jewelry, and he proudly presents "Andesines from the Congo" at gem shows. I have a hard time believing in his credentials. I should try to do a background check, but I am too lazy. He's a piece of work. All natural Andesines from the Congo.

Annette

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
smitcompton|1425071099|3839326 said:
Hi,

I don't consider the color ugly, but I do agree that the sparkle is probably not there. My yellow diamonds don't sparkle that much either, but that is all due to the fact they are not cut for performance as they are cut for color. I also probably have demantoids almost that color and the round one does sparkle a lot.

But, the real reason i [posted on this thread is that I see that Gem France is still touting his fantasy Congo Andesines. He has sold some to Dior who has put them in a piece of flower jewelry, and he proudly presents "Andesines from the Congo" at gem shows. I have a hard time believing in his credentials. I should try to do a background check, but I am too lazy. He's a piece of work. All natural Andesines from the Congo.

Annette

Annette,

I don't understand this too!! I wanted to show some french sapphires - the only only one I found. I know him from Munich show when he started to offer these TREATED feldspar - 100 of boxes full of overpriced uniform calibrated stones in all shapes - a rare gem????

I never bought one ( to many red flags!!!).

These gems are :angryfire: TREATED :angryfire: ( diffusion) - there are many evidence and it is a shame that the vendor still offer them as untreated.

Whether you or me or other buy from that vendor is another question - I personally won't buy from him.

I want to apologize that I posted the link and forgot that some here will check the rest of his online store. :oops:
Btw. the vendor is overpriced!

You will find enough in the internet about andesine - I will not discuss this here and if anybody stills believes it is natural untreated it is not my problem!!

LONG LIVE OREGON SUNSTONE!!!! A beautiful gems and worth to buy and collect!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results