shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
There was an article by Chris Smith in the Spring 2012 issue of InColor stating that oil or "other fillers" may be used for clarity enhancement, and heat was being used to change color. I don't remember the details of the article, but I do remember that it was rare at the time. I think that's around the time when I sent in my first stone to be tested (a spinel).

The treatments sound kind of standard back then, but by now, there may be other things. When I talked to AGL this summer, they said the number of treated spinels is higher than in the past. I didn't ask for stats. For $65, it's worth testing an expensive stone.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Jerry Newman at Gemart sent me a bunch of sapphires for stud earrings for my DD. Sizes are 4 mm to 4.75 mm.

I'm keeping the largest pair, she thinks they look like the ocean. They are more teal in real life, but in the photo (far right) they're more blue.

I thought everyone would like a look at these in a real life photo. Also, they're not paired on his site, which makes them hard to figure out. I really couldn't think of another thread to put this in, so here it is.

The smallest pair is actually a pair of 4 mm demantoids, which are BRIGHT apple green with red sparks. The green is like that neon lime green that was so popular a year ago. Couldn't get it right in my photos. :nono: DD doesn't like green. The rest are all Montana sapphires, unheated, untreated. No grey to my eye, the darker pair (4.5 mm) pair is medium teal. All are very color shifty and pretty.

If anyone needs sapphires or demantoids for a project, Jerry has these pairs, as well as many singles. All are very sparkly, nice cut.

Just an FYI . . .

jerryssapphires.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tempting, tempting little demantoids :love:

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Unheated Purple Sapphire :pray:

agl-brief-sapphire-2.jpg 36_Purple_Sapphire___Precision_Cut.jpg

Faceted by Gene

6.210 Carats

Jua Round 9.658mm

Absolutely Gorgeous - Please add pics lucky PS'er!

$7863.00

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just saw Gene's drop and was about to post the same RTFrog! That is one fantastic stone! Yes, please - I hope whoever gets the stone is a PSer that will be very, very generous with pics!!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ it is a pretty color and so large but I don't think it would be eyeclean (at least to me)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If the color is true, the needle would never bother me. Love the cutting too, beautiful -- I'd have to stare at that most of the day.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I concur about spinel treatment; if the stone is $100 thereabouts, I wouldn't worry but if it is in the $500 range, I would definitely get an AGL brief. Oiling and resin filling is on the rise and I don't know how successful their heating is these days.

Gene's purple sapphire looks fantastic. I don't know whether the inclusion will bother me or not in this particular case because it might be masked by the colour depending on the strength of the light source and angle.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think the spinel will be eye clean?

S

SparkliesLuver

I wondered that too until I saw his grade of VS1. In that case I'd say yes. ?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1414413134|3773265 said:
I wondered that too until I saw his grade of VS1. In that case I'd say yes. ?
I've been told by friends who buy a lot from him that his clarity grading is on the generous side, in that he calls it eye clean but they can see the inclusions clearly.

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh, okay. Well then it may not be. Have to see it in person, I guess.

If someone wouldn't mind the inclusions for the color, cut and size, or if they're looking for an untreated stone, then I think it might be nice.

S

SparkliesLuver

Sorry for the double-post, but this looks gorgeous to me. I wish it were durable enough for an engagement ring since it seems like a color that people are after these days.

Sunset Rubellite/Pink Tourmaline
5.96 cts
11.88 x 10.07 x 7.91
Unheated/untreated
$5,400

http://wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/1080/16738

obt596-bhs_i1.jpg

obt596-b1_i1.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Ah. I suppose I haven't seen too many of them. My apologies! :oops:

I know his stuff is known to be on the high side, so probably.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a really strange and romanticized description; the use of "sunset" reminds me of the diffused orange sapphire days but that's another story. :bigsmile: I am curious as to the light source Ed used to bring out the orange yet keep the purple "on". A mixture of incandescent and natural type light bulb?

Sparklies,
I hope you don't feel as though I am picking on you or your choices; we all are attracted to different things. :wavey: I just wanted lurkers to be aware that there are pros and cons to all stones. What might be a con to me, could be a pro to another person!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is an obscene price for a tourmaline..... especially one that is neither a good true red nor a good vivid pink.

S

SparkliesLuver

It is a romanticized description, you're right. I wouldn't even try to guess his lighting as it seems to vary.

That's alright, Chrono. It's good for me to hear. I'm still learning, so I probably shouldn't post too much in this thread. :oops:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't feel bad Sparklie, we all can post in here, but it's always good to point out potential negatives and issues, as this is a consumer forum. :)

As for Gene's sapphire, I would like to see it on a lighter background. I noticed he used a darker background for this particular photo than his other shots of gems.

Nice huge sapphire though, and I'm glad it came with an AGL brief.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1414415487|3773280 said:
That is an obscene price for a tourmaline..... especially one that is neither a good true red nor a good vivid pink.

:appl: :appl:

http://wsfgems.com/tour.html

Scroll a bit down - a 4,49 ct oval pendant for 375 $

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask and you shall receive.

purple_gene.jpg

purple_gene2.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Is that Gene's?!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it's Gene's and it's beautiful!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's freakin' gorgeous! Wish I had the spare change. Thanks, Marlow.

S

SparkliesLuver

FrekeChild said:
SparkliesLuver|1414438988|3773468 said:
Is that Gene's?!
Yes

Woooooooooooooooooooow. :drool: :love: That was crazy fast, by the way! Didn't he just list that last night? :naughty: Can't wait for tons more pictures. ;-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene's purple sapphire made me gasp when I saw it as it is so beautiful. :love: I hope it will go to a good home.

As for 5.4k USD for an unheated pinkish Tourmaline? No thanks, as the colour does nothing for me for a start!

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results