shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry Minou *hangs head in shame* the pairs were a 'hit and run' - I saw and clipped - and I didn't actually pay attention to any of the details (maybe I should go to the corner!) - you'll have to Google them.

So I found his new website for you-
http://jefferydavies.com/jeffs-shop/category/26-spinel

For Ryan's I did put the link because he has some real gems (pun intended) at the moment but here you go-

Pink Tourmaline, 3.07ct. Mozambique- Precision rectangle step cut
7.49mm x 9.38mm
$335.00 USD

Peach Zircon 1.32ct.- Precision custom square cut
5.67mm
$85.00 USD

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! That's an eyeburner LK :bigsmile:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there are now treated (clarity enhanced) and very good synthetic spinels.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1411607801|3756618 said:
Yes, there are now treated (clarity enhanced) and very good synthetic spinels.

I agree with with you and pregcurious!

Prizes for spinel skyrocked so we have to expect fakes and esp. a lot of synthetic stones. I would be very careful with IF of EY stones with extremely fine color ( Mahenge like or Burma and of course fine blue like Luc Yen/ Vietnam) !! Again - a negative crystal or a small apatite or diopside or hercynite inclusion could be a treasure!!!

Even in small Luc Yen rough at the mine they discovered synthetic pebbles mixed under the natural - who will send a 0,15 ct Cobalt Spinel to a lab!!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the warnings Preg, Chrono, Marlow. Clarity enhanced, meaning oiled?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Think so - the Mahenge material I bought has sometimes larger fractures - oiling could help to sell them.
Same maybe with Luc Yen material.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LoversKites|1411631010|3756735 said:
Heat Treatment
Fracture filling (with oil, Excel, opticon, whatever...)
And you have to check for the synthetics: Flux melt synthetics spinels can be really convincing and the good old verneuil ones of course.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Dioptase|1411634962|3756743 said:
LoversKites|1411631010|3756735 said:
Heat Treatment
Fracture filling (with oil, Excel, opticon, whatever...)
And you have to check for the synthetics: Flux melt synthetics spinels can be really convincing and the good old verneuil ones of course.

Marlow said:
Think so - the Mahenge material I bought has sometimes larger fractures - oiling could help to sell them.
Same maybe with Luc Yen material.

I didn't know heating improved spinel before.
I found this excerpt from an article on spinel and heating.

"As described, these researchers concluded that this treatment was not being performed to improve color, since their experiments showed either little to no color modification or a less desirable color resulted from the heating. However, they did find that the transparency of certain spinels could be significantly improved by heating at temperatures between approximately 950°C and 1150°C."

Full article: http://static.squarespace.com/static/509c23aee4b011ec832b1737/t/5106eb7ce4b0195ed62de82c/1359407996288/Spinel%20Treatments.pdf

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if they've been successful at improving colour with heat but it supposedly helps with inclusions. As always, labs discoveries are usually lagging the treaters, so who knows if heating now also improves colour. Yes, clarity enhancement using oil and resin is getting becoming prevalent.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
And large and a reasonable price...

Weight(cts): 4.35 Ct.
Dimensions (L x W x D)(mm): 12.20 x 9.60 x 4.60
Shape: Oval
Color: Neon Blue/Green
Clarity: I
Treatment(s): Heat
Origin: Paraiba, Brazil
Hardness: 7.5 Weight(cts): 4.35 Ct.
Dimensions (L x W x D)(mm): 12.20 x 9.60 x 4.60
Shape: Oval
Color: Neon Blue/Green
Clarity: I
Treatment(s): Heat
Origin: Paraiba, Brazil
Hardness: 7.5

paraibatourmaline-2515.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I think sometimes cutting a cabochon is a better choice than a HI faceted stone - like this very much and the price is very very good.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was on my Paraiba quest I was considering this exact stone. The colour and glow is so lovely!
In the end I decided I wanted a faceted stone.

Adam of Paraiba International has great customer service by the way.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I wish their video -- or at the very least, photos -- had a view of it from the top. Has anyone seen any? They rate clarity "I" & from the side it doesn't look too bad; there must be more going on from another viewpoint. I also imagine there's a reason it is priced so reasonably, though it is an ideal color & looks like it has that Paraiba glow as much as photos can convey. Tempting, whatever the problems.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1411900513|3758085 said:
I wish their video -- or at the very least, photos -- had a view of it from the top. Has anyone seen any? They rate clarity "I" & from the side it doesn't look too bad; there must be more going on from another viewpoint. I also imagine there's a reason it is priced so reasonably, though it is an ideal color & looks like it has that Paraiba glow as much as photos can convey. Tempting, whatever the problems.

--- Laurie

Paraiba tourmaline is often clarity enhanced these days, so that's something to consider. I still think it's a good price, and it looks better to me than some of his other higher priced paraiba cabs. Maybe this one is old stock. :confused:

In any case, if anyone is interested, you can ask Adam about it in comparison to his other cabs, and the clarity enhancement, and perhaps a pic from the top.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very nice and is priced well too. I hope someone asks for a frontal view so we can all ogle it more.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
I hope someone asks for a frontal view so we can all ogle it more.

+1! :love:

S

SparkliesLuver

What a unique beauty! :love: I strongly considered this until I was honest with myself in that I'm not a pink person. But it deserves a lovely home!

3.39 ct. Pezzottaite Cabochon
10.4 x 8.3 mm
No treatment
$389

A superb way of presenting one of the rarest and most intensely colored gem finds of the last decade. Since the initial discovery of this rare beryl-related species there have been no more finds of gem grade material. Because the strong suit of these has always been their intense color (as opposed to their clarity), a cab is a great idea. This is a particularly large and fine example - striking color and a great polish. Many gems of lesser clarity were faceted, so a cab of this quality is scarce indeed.

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Feb13PezzottaitePage.htm

_22849.jpg

_22850.jpg

_22851.jpg

feb13pezzottaii.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love pezzotaite and the Gem Trader stone looks like a very nice one and quite reasonably priced. These little beauties are hard to come by!

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
Looks very nice and is priced well too. I hope someone asks for a frontal view so we can all ogle it more.

Here she is! :D

_22901.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That Paraiba is really really nice -- thanks for the other pic, Sparkliesluver. I was very very very very very very very very very tempted -- till I got out the beautiful seafoam tourm I bought from Gene; while not neon, it's so gorgeous, it quieted my expensive addict-voice right down. :saint: Somebody HAS to give that stone a home -- what a waste not to!

The pezzottaite is awfully nice too -- that's tempting as well. You are dangerous today!

--- Laurie

S

SparkliesLuver

Laurie, I'm glad you think so! Because, I just bought it. :Up_to_something: I've been working with Adam (basically since TL posted it) and he agreed to my offer early this morning. I think I could very well be the happiest girl on the planet right now!

Just trying to give a little something back to all those who have so graciously helped me. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1412257629|3760558 said:
Laurie, I'm glad you think so! Because, I just bought it. :Up_to_something: I've been working with Adam (basically since TL posted it) and he agreed to my offer early this morning. I think I could very well be the happiest girl on the planet right now!

Just trying to give a little something back to all those who have so graciously helped me. :)

Great size too, it's almost a 12x10, so it would work in lots of standard mounts (you just need longer prongs for a cab), or you could do custom. Looking forward to more pictures. :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

Yes, the size is amazing! Especially since I've had a difficult time finding the size in faceted stones. I love prongs/claws but I'm not sure how I feel about them with a cab. Definitely have lots of exploring to do. :) Is there a thread dedicated to cabs? Hmmm...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
YAY, Sparkliesluver!!! Good for you! I am SO glad you took it off the market so I don't have to wonder about it anymore. Absolutely can't wait to see how it looks in your hand!! And what you decide to do with it -- it is a fabulous size for such a stone, one of the great things about it. Pics the MINUTE it arrives, ok? :appl: :appl:

--- Laurie

S

SparkliesLuver

hehe Thank you, Laurie. Same here! Yes, you can expect to see some tomorrow night (as I'm sure my friend won't mind). ;-)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1412166400|3759741 said:
What a unique beauty! :love: I strongly considered this until I was honest with myself in that I'm not a pink person. But it deserves a lovely home!

3.39 ct. Pezzottaite Cabochon
10.4 x 8.3 mm
No treatment
$389

A superb way of presenting one of the rarest and most intensely colored gem finds of the last decade. Since the initial discovery of this rare beryl-related species there have been no more finds of gem grade material. Because the strong suit of these has always been their intense color (as opposed to their clarity), a cab is a great idea. This is a particularly large and fine example - striking color and a great polish. Many gems of lesser clarity were faceted, so a cab of this quality is scarce indeed.

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Feb13PezzottaitePage.htm

Pssstt - $ 389 is nothing!!! Beautiful :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1412262480|3760600 said:
Yes, the size is amazing! Especially since I've had a difficult time finding the size in faceted stones. I love prongs/claws but I'm not sure how I feel about them with a cab. Definitely have lots of exploring to do. :) Is there a thread dedicated to cabs? Hmmm...

Well, you could do lots of little prongs all the way around, or large claw prongs, or bezel, but I am always ambivalent about bezeling tourmalines, especially paraibas as they're heat treated, and have fractures/cracks usually, which makes them a bit more brittle. Whatever you do though, it would look fabulous in rose gold, or high karat yellow gold. You could do white gold to, but I love paraibas in colored metal. I"m sure the color will look great in any metal though. I would also leave the back open, for easy cleaning. Some cabs are set with a closed back.

Leon does have a lot of beautiful inspirational photos of cabs, including some moonstones too, and other kinds of cabs as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results