shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
so it's a good thing I can't buy their stones?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
blingergrrrl|1394518190|3631572 said:
so it's a good thing I can't buy their stones?
Yes. :wink2:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I've bought from them & they couldn't have been more pleasant & helpful, both on the phone & via email. I kept the stones I bought but could have returned them without problem if I'd wanted; their policies on that are fine.

The limit on int'l sales is odd. Why don't you ask them what's behind it? There may be a reason that would allow you to work around it; could be due to bad experiences they had in the past. Find out!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prima's chrysoberyl is described as yellow green on their website so I wonder what accounts for it having a bluish modifier in their picture.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemFix sticks to the policy re international deliveries posted on the web site, as Phoenix learned a couple of months ago. Think the primary reason for it is that GemFix uses the US Postal Service to send their stones & the USPS has a lower cap on the value of merchandise that can be insured when shipping internationally. Plus, some countries are such a hassle to deal with when you are an "exporter" that it's not worth it to a small merchant who won't misrepresent the nature of the contents (e.g., declare it to be a "gift" or "hobby materials") or the other country's own postal service has proven notoriously unreliable.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono,

I have a chrysoberyl that definitely flashes a hint of bluish green in strong sunlight. I would never refer to this as the color of the stone ( I would call mine a greenish yellow if asked to list the color for a sale). My supposition about the prima stone is that it exhibits even more of the this bluish green flash which is being picked up by the photo, even though the predominant color in North Daylight is still a yellow-green as they say. In other words, I just think its convention that tertiary modifiers are omitted in a quick color classification. Or its not an accurate photo. But I'm inclined to believe the former. Maybe the buyer will tell us...

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
The bi-coloured sapphire from Brad's drop is very nice. Lovely colour on both sides. 0.66ct

mar14bcsapph.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone knows what's with Brad's pictures for this month's drop? All his pictures look fuzzy and I'm just not used to it. I could ask him but this is more of a "hmmm...it's different" pondering.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1394700663|3633172 said:
The bi-coloured sapphire from Brad's drop is very nice. Lovely colour on both sides. 0.66ct

Oh that's mine!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Could just be blurring when editing. Weird since I usually find sellers sharpen images to make them more appealing. I'd guess he is experimenting a little. Shall someone ask him? I believe he would be honest about it.

There's been a lot of drama recently about editing photos so I wanna be safe and say I'm not suggesting that Brad alters his photos to make them look better than they are irl. On the two occasions I bought from him, even though they were cheap stones, they were very accurately portrayed.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1394712231|3633202 said:
LoversKites|1394700663|3633172 said:

Oh that's mine!

Omg! Really? That's so cool. Congrats. Share photos please when it arrives.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1394712520|3633204 said:
Could just be blurring when editing. Weird since I usually find sellers sharpen images to make them more appealing. I'd guess he is experimenting a little. Shall someone ask him? I believe he would be honest about it.

There's been a lot of drama recently about editing photos so I wanna be safe and say I'm not suggesting that Brad alters his photos to make them look better than they are irl. On the two occasions I bought from him, even though they were cheap stones, they were very accurately portrayed.

I actually was wondering if he usually sharpens them but was afraid to mess with the photos given all the comments/threads here about sellers editing their photos. Or he just had a blur on the lens and didn't want to go retake all the pictures? :p

Either way, I hadn't looked there until I saw the sapphire posted above, and what a neat bunch of stones he has on his page of new stuff. Is someone here getting the multi-star garnet? Please say yes, because I would love to see more pictures of that. :)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
deskjockey|1394739374|3633426 said:
LoversKites|1394712520|3633204 said:
Is someone here getting the multi-star garnet? Please say yes, because I would love to see more pictures of that. :)

Me too!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Did anyone see that Jeff Davies "party sapphire"? Looks really fun. Someone please buy it and describe it to me!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know *what* color it is! The video shows so many. Jeff, whose not usually given to hyperbole, seems pretty excited by it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's not for me. Too much brown.

--- Laurie

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
may13vspinelpairi.gif

Look at the color on this pair of beauties! I have a "no oval" buying policy but these might be the ones that change my mind. I have a couple of projects and Holy grail searches going on so could somebody buy these lovelies and remove the distraction for me? :)

http://www.thegemtrader.com/May13VSpinelPage.htm

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
niel did you send back the 2 tone sapphire? (i was offered it after you) can i ask why?

mochiko the tone of those stones is lovely! a beautiful lavender

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hippi_pixi|1396867825|3648831 said:
niel did you send back the 2 tone sapphire? (i was offered it after you) can i ask why?

mochiko the tone of those stones is lovely! a beautiful lavender

Yes I did. The blue was a bit more purple than I had expected.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Mochiko, those spinels are special! Good size for earrings too. I love the colors in them & the tone(s).

That diamond is a knockout, absolutely incredible, but I agree with Kenny -- if you have to register to see what a vendor sells, forget it! :nono:

--- Laurie

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1396871336|3648853 said:
That diamond is a knockout, absolutely incredible, but I agree with Kenny -- if you have to register to see what a vendor sells, forget it! :nono:

--- Laurie

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't think it's such a big deal. It would not stop me from buying from them.

but it does come off as standoffish

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
tsavoritestar|1397055960|3650483 said:
Has anyone posted about this one yet? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/454441418621987630/

I LOVE this color. I'm curious about how much something like this costs--I assume "SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE!! via PM" means it costs a lot :-p

Probably! The description says it's not dark but from the video it definitely seems darkish to my eye, especially considering that the video if probably flooded with light.

At first I read your username as 'tsavoriteeater' :tongue:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That red spinel definitely looks gorgeous in the photo, though I imagine that it might be darker when received, as that is often the case with his stones. Still looks to be lovely hued stone though.

CircularBrilliant

Shiny_Rock
LoversKites|1397056399|3650489 said:
Has anyone posted about this one yet? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/454441418621987630/

I LOVE this color. I'm curious about how much something like this costs--I assume "SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE!! via PM" means it costs a lot :-p

Probably! The description says it's not dark but from the video it definitely seems darkish to my eye, especially considering that the video if probably flooded with light.

At first I read your username as 'tsavoriteeater' :tongue:

Haha that would be an interesting choice of username... :tongue:

minousbijoux|1397072548|3650666 said:
That red spinel definitely looks gorgeous in the photo, though I imagine that it might be darker when received, as that is often the case with his stones. Still looks to be lovely hued stone though.

I'm pretty new to the colored-stone world, so that's good to know (I didn't even know what a spinel was until stumbling onto this forum!). I keep seeing so many pretties posted here, but have been too afraid to buy sight-unseen. Perhaps someday I will see something I just can't pass up :))

ohlala

Rough_Rock

he has it listed for sale at US$23,495 obo

i'm curious why on video it looks more red and the picture looks more purplish pink. i bought a stone (not from him) that looked very red/orange on the picture and in real life looked very purplish. in real life, i viewed the stone outdoors (sunlight), candle and everywhere pretty much...still was very purple...so, i sent back.

some vendor pictures and the real color differ too much :((

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fwiw, I would say from my experience that his photos tend to be pretty accurate for hue and saturation, but the stones are often darker in tone in hand than his photos indicate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results