shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not in my opinion. I don't know - there is definitely a bowtie to boot, but all I can think is that either its a really great deal (and Michael has definitely been known to have them), or there is something not evident like perhaps its not as saturated as it appears in the photos?

But someone should contact Michael and ask these questions! It has sufficient depth so it potentially could be a recut candidate...maybe this is very old stock of his and he just never raised the price? Beats me!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is that a recut will do 2 things:
1. Drop under the 4 ct mark because it is going to take a good bit of work to recenter the culet, hence the cut issues.
2. I'm not quite sure the final colour effect of the recut as I cannot see if there is any zoning.

This stone is definitely super deep at nearly 90% so it will be a challenge to set, facing up like a 3 carat sapphire instead of a 4 carat sapphire. I do not know if the silkiness is more apparent in person either. Still, $3K? What a price if one can overlook all that. Not sure how good SGL is either.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. Hey, for that price, let it drop under 4 carats if at the end of the day you walk away with a decently cut, unheated blue sapphire (if that color is really accurate)! I mean, what a coup!

it is good to question zoning and impact of cut on color, but that of course would all be worked out in advance with the lapidary.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems I'm on a roll! I found this from our beloved Stonebender - many of you have seen it on his FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/RyanQuantzStudios

His description: "Namibian blue chalcedony, round bullet cabochon. No kidding here, this is top quality stuff. Nice big round, high dome coming to a soft point. Eye clean, luscious color with an excellent adularescence seen as a silvery glow moving around inside the stone. Untreated. 11.03ct., 14.40mm $203 Shipped"

I keep going back to ogle. Then it dawns on me - post it here! Someone should snap this up!

5-14-13_stonebender_s_chal_1_preview.jpg

5-14-13_stonebender_s_chal_2_preview.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SWEET chalcedony! Look at that high dome and translucency.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1368482131|3446269 said:
Okay, what am I missing? Maybe not vivid saturation, not great cutting, but 4+cts, unheated blue Ceylon sapphire for $3,350?!!! Not too shabby!

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9583

Edited for typo

I think that was a lovely stone, Minous! Somebody just WOOSHed that stone outta there!

I like this one too http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9584 but I think Michael listened to you and the price went up a bit. This one seems like an even brighter blue, though.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are pics of what iLander is referring to, in case the link gets taken down. For $12,110, you can buy this unheated 4.66 ct Ceylon sapphire from Michael.

iLander, it might just be a case, as strange as it seems, of exactly what Roger Dery was writing about in his thread, where some vendors are still selling old stones at old prices, but when stones are cut from new rough, the same dealer has nothing to do but price it based on the new outrageous cost of rough. :(sad

5-15-13_litnon_sapph_1_preview.jpg

5-15-13_litnon_sapph_2_preview.jpg

5-15-13_litnon_sapph_3_preview.jpg

hippipixi

Rough_Rock
Was looking at opals trying to find one under 5mm and came across this beauty. talk about rainbow colored! I can't seem to post a photo from my iPad so hopefully someone will copy the pic for me 1.4 carats $1400 kind of lightning bolt shape? Or an s shape I guess

http://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/black-opal/item-359748

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Last post was by me. When I first signed up it was being very glitchy and I ended up with a few accounts I couldn't sign into. Used the wrong one on the iPad!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hippipixie|1368698813|3448026 said:
Was looking at opals trying to find one under 5mm and came across this beauty. talk about rainbow colored! I can't seem to post a photo from my iPad so hopefully someone will copy the pic for me 1.4 carats $1400 kind of lightning bolt shape? Or an s shape I guess

http://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/black-opal/item-359748

Here you go!

359748_1363349089.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Eye-popping opal! Wow. I'm blown away by the Litnon sapphire too, Minou. Color color color. And the chalcedony -- gorgeous translucence & color -- one of my fave stones, those are.

--- Laurie

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That chaceldony is gorgeous!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, if that photo is accurate, that is one amazing opal! Somebody needs to buy the opal so we can see what it looks like IRL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1368773158|3448815 said:
Wow, if that photo is accurate, that is one amazing opal! Somebody needs to buy the opal so we can see what it looks like IRL!

Ditto, especially in a man's pendant. It would look SO cool.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Damm! If I werent already over-extended
Pretty close to what we are all looking for. Someone has to buy this then come here and show and tell us all.

http://www.spectralgems.net/

latest.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this today too and wondered how much it costs. A hint of purple but certainly very attractive colouration.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono:

I was told the red spinel was 2154.75

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1369105676|3450937 said:
Damm! If I werent already over-extended
Pretty close to what we are all looking for. Someone has to buy this then come here and show and tell us all.

http://www.spectralgems.net/

I called about the stone this morning at 8:20 and it had just sold so I lost out on it :((

Maybe a PSer got it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1369106621|3450942 said:
I was told the red spinel was 2154.75

Good price considering how expensive fine reds are these days. Would be great if the new owner is a PSer too because I'd love to see more pictures of it. Does anyone know if it fluorescences?

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to buy that red spinel too, but with the time difference I think it sold at 1am our time, so I missed out. Roger did send me other pictures though. They are all quite similar but with different camera or light settings. I love that glamour shot.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1368664837|3447768 said:
Here are pics of what iLander is referring to, in case the link gets taken down. For $12,110, you can buy this unheated 4.66 ct Ceylon sapphire from Michael.

iLander, it might just be a case, as strange as it seems, of exactly what Roger Dery was writing about in his thread, where some vendors are still selling old stones at old prices, but when stones are cut from new rough, the same dealer has nothing to do but price it based on the new outrageous cost of rough. :(sad

This is the same one as posted at MCG - http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6952

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1369205718|3451701 said:
minousbijoux|1368664837|3447768 said:

This is the same one as posted at MCG - http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6952

Yes, Distracts, we've been noticing that for a while, Dana, Michael and one or two others have been offering these stones from a contact in Sri Lanka. Dana refers to them as "Anagee" stones, but whatever the case, they are showing up in multiple places at apparently different prices to boot! So if pays to have sharp eyes if one is seriously considering one of these stones. :)) :wink2:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, this one has me stumped. I freely admit that I've never met a well cut, grossular garnet of excellent saturation that I did not want to buy - from medium dark Tsavorites all the way to light toned Merelani mint garnets. But still, this stone is lovely! I didn't post it sooner because I knew it would be sold immediately. But it hasn't and I am shocked!

Prices of tsavs are escalating as we've heard. This one, just under the 2 carat mark, appears to be medium toned with excellent (vivid?) saturation. The video shows it to be brilliant as well. It is precision cut and its selling for just about $400/ct. Look around - I don't know where one can find a 2 ct, precision cut tsav with close to vivid saturation for $400/ct. Check out going prices - Jeff Davies just posted a medium dark with excellent saturation for $1,000+/ct! And Jeff has good prices!

I seriously considered buying this, but I'm embarrassed to admit how many I already own :oops:

Please - won't someone take me out of my misery and buy this stone?!!

http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/bright-green-finewater-oval-tsavorite

5-23-13_fc_2ct_tsav_preview.jpg

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
*gasp* That green is amazing!

I usually don't even go for greens but it's such an amazing hue!

I hope whoever gets it takes even more pics than it's previous owner!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yow, that is a beauty! Wish I had the money too, wish it a lot. He has a nice rectangle morganite too, but I don't have that money either since I'm getting things set right now. Where's my trust fund when I need it??

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Friends (who shall remain nameless but know who they are) have been trying to talk me out of this one. I can't help myself. I have a thing for chyrsoberyl (and corundum...oh, and spinel...and teal tourmaline...nearly forgot cuprian tourmaline...and garnets, almost all of them...and...and...)

3.11 ct. neon chryoberyl - well cut from Madagascar via Jeff Davies. $1,245

6-06-13_jeff_davies_chryso_preview.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results