shape
carat
color
clarity

Softer stones for e-rings? Thoughts? Experiences???

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
I was reading where someone suggested a thread about softer stones used for e-rings. Does anyone out there want to share their pro/con list from experience of using a softer stone?? Feel free to post any pictures of your own colored stone e-ring with your stories!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my spess is not a 24/7 wearable ring. doesn't bother me to not wear it 24/7. however, please note that i got it AFTER we were married and i was already wearing my 2mm 18k gold wedding band. no issues, no problems with the stone....that i know of.

MoZo

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Not exactly a true 'experience,' but... my mom had a pearl e-ring back in 1972. She works in dentistry and didn't wear it regularly, so it sat in her jewelry box. They had a break-in a few years later and the ring was stolen. She wears a channel set diamond band with a 1mm milgrain band as her 'wedding set' these days, but I've always thought it was sad that her original e-ring was stolen. If it had been more wearable for her lifestyle, it wouldn't have been in that jewelry box and therefore, wouldn't have been nicked.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
There is a women at my work who has a natural emerald engagement ring (Emerald cut... probably 9 mm square? the normal pepper inclusions that I could only see because she let me see it up close when I expressed interest) that she has worn daily for 20 years. I asked her about if she was worried about chips, etc and she says that has never had a problem, but that the ring is insured against damage just in case.

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Wow! great info already! Thanks everybody.

Movie zombie, is that your spess in your profile photo?? Very bright and lovely!

Good to know about the emerald lasting so well for so long, thanks for the input maebelle!

And it is very sad about the pearl e-ring rubybeth :'-( Something to consider, because I do want to wear it (the e-ring) as much as possible whenever I get it, so I would hate to lose it just knowing that I wouldn't had it been on my finger! My sister's house got broken into and some jewelry was stolen, she has a diamond e-ring so it pretty much stays with her and was not at home during the break-in and was safe.
I'd like to ask what stone you have in the ring that is pictured as your profile pic rubybeth? Is it a deep ruby? That is my birthstone, so I'm always interested in them!

Keep 'em coming y'all! I love reading everyone's experiences and opinions, they really help to keep me in check and expand my ideas about cuts/stones/settings etc!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have a tsavorite garnet (avatar pic).

It is worn ONLY when I am out - I also have a ring-box in my bag and it goes in there if I am carrying heavy shopping or doing anything potential dangerous.

I've had the ring since summer 2007 and despite being so careful it has already chipped on one of the crown facets and there is a decent sized scratch on another. Both can be fixed with a repolish so I will do that at some point in the future.

When looking at stones you need to consider the Mohs Scale - which only measures the ability to withstand scratching - but also the degree of toughness. For example, diamond is very hard to scratch (10 on the Mohs') but has perfect cleavage and so isn't that tough - hit it in the right place and ta dah... two diamonds. Jadeite is only a 6.5-7 on the Mohs and is easy to scratch, however it's structure means that it is extremely tough and hard to break.

Stones that I would rule out for an e-ring:

Topaz; Quartz family - citrine, amethyst etc; sphene; zircon; peridot, emerald (unless it's great quality with good clarity as emerald is very brittle) - how protective is Opticon btw?

Potentials:

Garnets (except demantoid); spinels; corundum - sapphire, ruby; chrysoberyl; although it's not that hard I wouldn't totally rule out moonstone - true 'rainbow' moonstone, which is actually a form of labradorite I believe, is incredibly beautiful - but would need a lot of babying and possibly the occasional re-polish.

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks Pandora!
That is certainly some helpful information, sorry to hear about your e-ring, but luckily it sounds fixable and your experience will most definitely help me (and others reading)!

I have looked into the Mohs scale, but interested to look further into the structure of potential stones.

That list is very helpful and I will research those listed further!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mum wore an Emerald engagement ring nearly every day of her life. Thankfully she knew how to look after it and apart from a tiny chip on the girdle it's in superb condition. So softer stones CAN be worn but you've got to take care.

I don't have one particular e-ring because I swap my rings around daily (with the exception of my wedding band).

However, the one ring I ruined many years ago was a Tanzanite. I hadn't realised that they needed care ( :-o ) and didn't think twice about wearing it every day, getting it in water etc etc. Needless to say, within a year it was completely ruined. One of my friends loved it though (despite it's horrible little cloudy self) so I gave it to her! Lesson learned though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also depends on the particular gem as hardness is not the same thing as durability or brittleness. For example, tanzanites are very brittle stones, and need exceptional care when being worn. They are a 6 on the Moh's scale, but there are other gems that are a 6 that are more durable than tanzanite. I think pearls are a 4 on the Moh's scale (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but they are amazingly durable. Garnets are a good in-between stone, they are not super tough like sapphire, nor super hard like diamond, but they can withstand more than say, a tanzanite, and I think even tourmaline, which is the same hardness.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, that's my e-ring in my avatar....and it is sparkly, that's for sure....despite my not having cleaned it in [GASP] a couple of years.

MoZo

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1296434985|2837769 said:
yes, that's my e-ring in my avatar....and it is sparkly, that's for sure....despite my not having cleaned it in [GASP] a couple of years.

MoZo
I am curious to know why...

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1296417154|2837493 said:
My Mum wore an Emerald engagement ring nearly every day of her life. Thankfully she knew how to look after it and apart from a tiny chip on the girdle it's in superb condition. So softer stones CAN be worn but you've got to take care.

I don't have one particular e-ring because I swap my rings around daily (with the exception of my wedding band).

However, the one ring I ruined many years ago was a Tanzanite. I hadn't realised that they needed care ( :-o ) and didn't think twice about wearing it every day, getting it in water etc etc. Needless to say, within a year it was completely ruined. One of my friends loved it though (despite it's horrible little cloudy self) so I gave it to her! Lesson learned though.

Is water really that bad for gemstones? (Don't want to thread-jack but I am about to set a spinel that I'll wear everyday and I am wondering how careful I have to be with it).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gempassion|1296451362|2837965 said:

Is water really that bad for gemstones? (Don't want to thread-jack but I am about to set a spinel that I'll wear everyday and I am wondering how careful I have to be with it).

Spinel is a durable gem, and it has a good hardness. I wouldn't be cleaning the house, digging ditches, or playing baseball with it on, but you don't have to baby it either.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I chipped the crown part of my fav bb tourmaline ring not so long ago on the glass part of an office door. It barely tapped the glass, but i heard the sickening "squeeee" as it chipped. Glass is supposed to be softer than tourmalines, no? Guess it just hit it at the wrong place. SO upset.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have a coloured gemstone e-ring but right hand rings which are only worn occasionally and with care. My Mahenge spinel has a tiny chip on one of the crown facets and my Loliondo spessartite has a minor facet abrasion on the crown. Both can be repaired with a polish but I’m holding off on it since you can’t see it with the naked eye.

You should not just think about the MOH scale but also the durability (brittleness), cleavage and thermal sensitivity. If you want a much softer stone, then consider cabochons because they don’t have any facets to wear down or chip.

Pandora,
I think emeralds are actually quite tough but it is the level of inclusions that make it impossible to determine say so in general. The cleaner the emerald, obviously, the more durable it is. Just like any other gemstone, the type, size and location of the inclusion(s) can affect the structural integrity of the stone.

Gempassion,
It’s not that water is bad for gemstones, per se; it is that tanzanite is thermal sensitive so going from hot water to a colder room can cause it to develop fine internal cracks, which over time, will make it look crazed or hazy.

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Very true Chrono, I'll have to keep in mind the properties of the stones and how they react to certain environments.

Sorry again to hear about the mishaps with such precious jewelery and thanks to all who have shared on this thread!

So what are thoughts on alexandrite as stone?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are some really lovely cabs out there...a very high quality one as an e-ring is a great idea.

i've seen a sapphire e-ring that had been worn 24/7 for almost 40 years......no special handling....and the faceting had been worn down to the point it appeared cab like until closer inspection.

MoZo

ps spess sparkles because it was well cut and a high end stone; lack of cleaning is because i am just lazy and don't think of it until i put it on just before i leave the house and i don't take the time to do it. spess is not a candidate for heat/chemical cleaning.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1296453871|2837987 said:
I chipped the crown part of my fav bb tourmaline ring not so long ago on the glass part of an office door. It barely tapped the glass, but i heard the sickening "squeeee" as it chipped. Glass is supposed to be softer than tourmalines, no? Guess it just hit it at the wrong place. SO upset.

Again, hardness is not equivalent to durability. Chips are often a reflection of a less durable stone, while scratches are a reflection of a less hard stone. Diamonds can chip, and they are the hardest substance known.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes MZ! That sounds like a much loved Ering.

Yeah...I haven't louped my tsavorite or tanzanite in awhile. And I don't think I'm going to in the future... :cheeky:
What I don't know can't hurt me right? :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gempassion|1296451362|2837965 said:

Extremes of water temperature can crack a gemstone. For example, if you were to wash your hands in very hot water each day whilst wearing your Emerald it might crack. It might not of course and very much depends on the stone but any of the less durable stones (or brittle) will have a tendancy not to like extreme temperatures.

So, no sunbathing in a Tanzanite and then jumping into a swimming pool!!!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
freewheelinrose|1296491507|2838199 said:
Very true Chrono, I'll have to keep in mind the properties of the stones and how they react to certain environments.

Sorry again to hear about the mishaps with such precious jewelery and thanks to all who have shared on this thread!

So what are thoughts on alexandrite as stone?

It's a marmite stone i.e. you either love it or hate it. I happen to be in the "love" category and it's the gem that, above all, I couldn't live without! Good ones are rare (i.e. in terms of colour change) and are also expensive. Unfortunately, it's also a gem that can be replicated with synthetics so if it looks too good to be true it will be! :(sad I adore most colour changing gemstones but Alex has a romanticism about it (for me) that the others don't. There have been many debates on this forum about them (fairly recently) and some photos so it's worth having a look if you're interested. One thing in its favour is that it is very durable and a good every day ring. I have gone through periods of wearing mine daily without any issues.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexandrite is part of the chrysoberyl gem species, and a very durable stone (no cleavage planes) and very hard. It's the third hardest gem at an 8.5 on the Mohs, after diamond and sapphire. I would say it's more durable than diamond because it has no cleavage. It's very easy to bang a diamond and chip it. In fact, diamond cutters use a special chisel to break up a diamond prior to cutting on the machines. My mother has two humongous chips in her diamond, and cracked a baguette, so even for the hardest stones, one must be careful. No gemstone is impermeable to damage.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover|1296507078|2838455 said:
Alexandrite is part of the chrysoberyl gem species, and a very durable stone (no cleavage planes) and very hard. It's the third hardest gem at an 8.5 on the Mohs, after diamond and sapphire. I would say it's more durable than diamond because it has no cleavage.

......... and more beautiful! *sigh* :love:

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Also, in reference to
Good ones are rare (i.e. in terms of colour change) and are also expensive.

I don't know if I brought this up in this thread, don't think so, but I'm very much open to a small ring. Of course, I'd love some large blingy ring but that is not an option (for now, who knows maybe we will win the lottery or something :) hehe)

So I just looked on one site that had a .46 ct alexandrite for a little less than $500. Before looking into colored stones I was considering ~the same sized diamond so if that is what it takes to get a nice, durable stone then I don't mind one iota. Of course it would be lovely to have some other little sparklies or even smaller side stones on the setting to compliment the center but if that doesn't fit into the budget, then so be it, but it won't keep me from looking!

Thanks for the input on alexandrite!!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
freewheelinrose|1296415426|2837457 said:
I'd like to ask what stone you have in the ring that is pictured as your profile pic rubybeth? Is it a deep ruby? That is my birthstone, so I'm always interested in them!

Hi, rose! The ring in my avatar is my spinel cut by Dan Stair. It's a really lovely shade of purple. I don't actually own any rubies, but I'm a big 'Wizard of Oz' fan, hence the screenname. :D Someday I'd love a stacking ring with rubies in it, like WhiteFlash's Danielle Jazz band. :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
free, do some more rearch, read some books, and find out what is the absolute best for a stone. then realize like most of us that even a high quality color stone....is going to cost as much as a decent diamond. yes, as i always say, there is something for every budget in the world of color stones.....just as there is in the diamond world. a fab alex for $500, well, i'd look at cabs. and this is just my personal opinion and i know others disagree: for me the center stone is the most important thing about an e-ring. the setting is secondary.

it sounds like you're a very practical person and are open to having something different maybe later. in which case, a lot of pressure is off that this has to be "the" ring. some of us are emotionally attached to our e-rings, others upgrade, and at least one member changes hers out as mood and outfit dictate. many of us with color stone e-rings just aren't that into diamonds.....and do not see having a color stone e-ring as "settling for less".

also, there have been posters who have elected to have a band as their e-ring, see:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/traditional-engagement-ring-alternatives.153689/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/traditional-engagement-ring-alternatives.153689/[/URL]

of course, such a ring wouldn't have to be a wide band but could be more dainty, see:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/traditional-engagement-ring-alternatives.153689/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/traditional-engagement-ring-alternatives.153689/[/URL]

in short after writing so much, welcome to the world of color......but beware: color stones are addictive!

MoZo

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1296493641|2838233 said:
there are some really lovely cabs out there...a very high quality one as an e-ring is a great idea.

i've seen a sapphire e-ring that had been worn 24/7 for almost 40 years......no special handling....and the faceting had been worn down to the point it appeared cab like until closer inspection.
MoZo

ps spess sparkles because it was well cut and a high end stone; lack of cleaning is because i am just lazy and don't think of it until i put it on just before i leave the house and i don't take the time to do it. spess is not a candidate for heat/chemical cleaning.

MZ - I didn't know you knew my grandmother! :bigsmile: She told me oh so proudly that she never took her ring off and even did gardening in it and that I was mad for babying mine as it hadn't done hers any harm... then I showed her her's under a magnifying glass and there was not a single facet left!

Alexandrite - I love alex. but I can't even begin to afford the colour-change that would make me want to own it. I saw a fabulous one in the coloured e-ring section at Tiffany in London - 2.7ct, emerald cut, it had a really strong change: teal green with almost no red showing and then a pure raspberry. It was over £50k GBP.

So many that I have seen really struggle to show the green without the red coming through all the time (if that makes sense) and have too much brown making them look awfully muddy. I looked at about 50 when I was in Sri Lanka - they were all small, most under 0.4ct and only one had a great colour change and it was still $$$ even over there.

LD has a great collection of them though.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora, gotta love your grandmother: 1-she still remembers the ring as it was when it was given to her i'm betting and 2-sometimes it is a blessing for older eyes to be viewing a beloved object......

so, the color stone e-ring thing: apparently its in your DNA?!

MoZo

back on topic: alex is certainly pricey....i'm glad i'm not that smitten. i've seen a nice piece but not stellar and even that came with a really big price tag. nice piece = at a high end jeweler that knew high end gems.

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
Well, if I did go with alex, I wouldn't mind something closer to the pinky/brown color on it sometimes as long as it was more like a champagne brown color and not a mud dirt color. I don't expect or even really desire (wouldn't turn one down at the right price, but it is not a must have) the very saturated ones. Needless to say I have never looked at any in real life, or at least never a collection to compare them side by side, but I don't think I would mind one a little brownish tinted stone, I'm an earthy type gal.

I am very sentimental about things and so I am trying to find something that will last and that I will be happy and proud to own. The more I look into things and the more y'all share I think that I would, at this point look most to either a sapphire (of course I find the rarest colors -peachy-pink padparadscha- most beautiful :roll: ) or a spinel. Emeralds and moonstones still float around in my mind. I have been sooo focused on searching for stones and rings that when I closed my eyes in rest I started vividly envisioning different styles of settings and colored gem stones! hahaha :) It is fun for me though, I enjoy the thrill of the hunt!

This ties into my other current thread, but the more I see on here, especially all these lovely examples, the more ideas I get and so this really has cause me to reconsider what I initially wanted. Before I wouldn't have wanted yellow gold, but now that I see it paired with these brilliant stones, it is something I might consider!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results