shape
carat
color
clarity

So, I bought this...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/pending-2-dot-35ct-best-color-tanzanite

I got it from OTL and I'm positive I've seen her around here… How did I do? As she pointed out, it has inclusions in the pavilion but she said they couldn't be seen face up and I wasn't noticing them in the face up pictures either. It doesn't seem to be a nice precision cut like I'm used to and there seems to be a lighter area in the center in one of the pics, but it looks more like table glare to me than a window… right? I figured for the size and the color, $120 was a pretty great price but I've never had a tanzanite before and my eyes are not the greatest. What do you guys think?

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think its really beautiful actually, and for only $120, totally worth the prospect of it appearing as it does in the pictures, especially the close up pic!

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
Okay so here's my take on it. It's a very pretty stone, but it may be dark- very dark. But on the flip side it might be just fine in person. My avatar is a tanzanite and it's lovely in person, but it comes across as crazy dark in photos. I always get compliments on it in person though. Also, even if it's dark tanzanite just seems to always sparkle. So you'll probably be happy in that regard. It's just not like an amethyst in that if you get a dark stone it won't do much.

Now please know that I don't know much about gems and I'm still learning. But this particular stone is one I've long enjoyed. I think you got a good price, but really it shouldn't be just about that. All that really matters is that you love it. If it arrives and it doesn't speak to you then sell it or gift it on to someone who will love it. Or you could forgo keeping it to set and just hold on to it because it's pretty. I plan to keep everything I buy, even if I decide I don't want to set it. I thought it might look nice to have a small dish with all the little lovelies that didn't make the cut on my dresser. That way I can still enjoy them even if I don't plan to wear them. :))

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input, both of you. I thought from the pictures it may be dark, but I've found many times already that stones other people would call dark really appeal to me, such as my amethyst and two of my garnets. I'm not interested in a completely blacked out stone or anything, but a darker face with brighter flashes coming from underneath is ok with me, especially if the price is right. I messaged the seller before I bought it too and she said the stone looks great in pretty much all kinds of lighting, so I guess we'll see. I was worried a little more about the cut than the color initially, just because everything I have so far has that precision cut "dazzle." If nothing else it'll make a fine "learner" stone considering I don't have anything not precision cut yet or any tanzanite or anything close to this color.

Also, I really like your idea of keeping your unset stones out in a bowl- talk about your (eye) candy jar! That's a really cute way to display them and one I hadn't thought of. So far I haven't wanted to keep anything I didn't set because having something to keep hidden away in a box doesn't interest me greatly. I'll have to consider keeping everything now...

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
It's definitely a step in a different direction from most of what you have :) Can't wait to see what you think in person :) Tanzanite is funny to me, most of what I've seen in person is either a little too light or a little too dark for my personal preferences. Then again, most of what I've seen in person is in the case at Costco. heh. Maybe I will have to go to the big gem show in March.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Haha. See… The only tanzanites I've seen in person that I didn't like were super light. Apparently I'm ok with dark, which may be a good thing for my wallet. But I can't wait to see what I think in person either!! Buying stones is FFFFUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Also, I really like your idea of keeping your unset stones out in a bowl- talk about your (eye) candy jar! That's a really cute way to display them and one I hadn't thought of. So far I haven't wanted to keep anything I didn't set because having something to keep hidden away in a box doesn't interest me greatly. I'll have to consider keeping everything now

NOT a good idea to put a bunch of loose stones in a jar!!! Gems all have different hardnesses---this will create scratches in the softer stones, possibly even abrade facets. Do NOT do this.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I am aware of that, but if I bought a stone I didn't deem nice enough to set or valuable enough to resell, I probably wouldn't be heartbroken to see a scratch on it. It would still have a better "life" in my opinion than sitting unwanted and unadmired in a gem box.

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
ChrisA222, I totally agree with you about keeping them in a jar. That's why I suggested a dish. People were just making a joke about candy jars.

I just think keeping a few gems I didn't want to set on a small china plate or mirrored tray would look pretty. The stones wouldn't need to be piled on top of one another, and I hope I wouldn't buy so many I didn't want to set that I could fill a bowl! It's just sometimes you come across nice pieces of vintage china in thrift shops and such and sometimes it's just that one piece. So it's a fun way to use just that one pretty dish and your stones don't sit unloved. In fact perhaps this way they end up being enjoyed even more than if they were set.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Hee hee, I bought the spinel OTL was also selling, and I thought HARD about the tanzanite... if nothing else, it will be useful to help determine what you like in tanzanite for very little investment! You shouldn't have ANY trouble selling it along if it isn't your cup of tea. Like others, I've only seen the pale-blue Macy's stones, and they weren't exciting, but I could imagine that in person you'd see a lot more color and life from that particular tanzanite, just like practically ALL stones look better in person. Good luck, let us know what you think! :D

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Well….. After all that…. OTL saw this thread and the fact that I had doubts about the cut. She is also currently having problems with her post office in Canada about registered mail items and the cost going way up. Because of those things, she offered to give me a refund, so the stone may still be available if she can get past the shipping issues. I felt bad taking her up on that, but she was really cool about it. :appl: Guess I will keep looking.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelli|1391003183|3603255 said:
Well….. After all that…. OTL saw this thread and the fact that I had doubts about the cut. She is also currently having problems with her post office in Canada about registered mail items and the cost going way up. Because of those things, she offered to give me a refund, so the stone may still be available if she can get past the shipping issues. I felt bad taking her up on that, but she was really cool about it. :appl: Guess I will keep looking.

I'm sorry that the sale fell through, but here's to hoping that there is a beautiful tanzanite in your future. Fwiw, tanzanite seems to be one of the frequently traded/sold stones on the FB gem group, so you might want to keep your eyes open there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results