shape
carat
color
clarity

so excited!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
DanielM finished my ring earlier than expected. Can't wait to see this baby in person!

More photos to come...

danielm photos (1).jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looking very good so far.

I am sitting with the popcorn bucket, waiting for the rest of the show.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has he mailed out the ring to you? I love the U-prong designs as it’s very open and elegant but not easy to nail down. Perhaps it’s my aging eyes but the U doesn’t seem to be even. One part has a slightly larger curvature than the other. Then again, the picture has been blown up significantly so perhaps it isn’t noticeable in person.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1300968648|2878788 said:
Has he mailed out the ring to you? I love the U-prong designs as it’s very open and elegant but not easy to nail down. Perhaps it’s my aging eyes but the U doesn’t seem to be even. One part has a slightly larger curvature than the other. Then again, the picture has been blown up significantly so perhaps it isn’t noticeable in person.

I'm not sure if it's been mailed out or not - have not received a tracking number. Thanks for the opinions on the possible problem. I'll look out for that when it arrives.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, how pretty! Now I remember, I saw it, but I see so many things posted here, sorry if I forget something.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. :) It's supposed to be here tomorrow. I'm SO inpatient! This is my first completed CS project where I picked out the stone.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Can I change the title of this thread to "so ANGRY!"?

I really hate our mail delivery person(s). It seems to be a different person all of the time, so I can't pin it on one person. We've had problems in the past so keep in mind that's where I'm coming from.

<rant>
First, my package should have arrived yesterday. Not a huge deal except I don't doubt that it could have been delivered but for some reason they just didn't. Second, they did "try" to deliver today but left a pick-up slip instead. I have to wait until Monday to pick it up!! The post office recording says next business day, which would be tomorrow, but the guy at the actual branch and the slip both say Monday. I asked him if there was some way for in the future to leave them a note so they will leave my package instead of the dumb slip. He said it's based on their judgement whether it would be safe. We have locked package boxes!! So that's not the reason. He then said, well, it was probably too big to fit. These locked boxes are very large (plus they could always leave it in the apartment office), and I'm sure my little ring package could have fit. Unless DanielM is shipping rings in freight crates.
</rant>

Sorry...just had to vent.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain. On the day I went to get my Daniel M package from the post office, they couldn't retrieve it for me because it was in a pile of packages that needed to be sorted. That was the only time I had such a problem with them. I had to wait over the weekend to get it after that. So sorry, but better late than never!! :bigsmile:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nooooooooooooooooo. You poor thing. I feel your pain.

I guess it just means that at least you'll have a lovely start to the week (I realise that's NO consolation but I'm desperately trying to find something positive to focus on for you).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know whats been up with the mail lately. ugh! :nono: I've got packages that also haven't showed though they should have by now. Sorry you're dealing with that.

-A

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I feel your pain! This has happened to me so many times, and I know that the delivery person hasn't even tried to deliver it. One of our local post offices admitted that if it gets late in the day, and the delivery person wants to go home, they will say they attempted delivery, but never even make a swing by the house. Which we had figured out, but were astonished to hear a postal official admit to.

UPS is notorious for this in our area, too.

I hope you get your lovely ring on Monday!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1300968648|2878788 said:

I picked up the ring this morning, and I have to agree with you, Chrono. I'm going to snap some pictures later on today, but I'm pretty disappointed. Top down it's gorgeous, but the side views are all a little wonky. Not sure how to proceed. It's a fairly inexpensive piece, so do I just accept it for what it is? Or do I send it back?

I'd love input from others with the u-prong setting. Not sure how many people are checking in on this thread. I might have more response if I started a new one. Oh well.

I'll be back with pics later.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Post some photos of the profile and prongs, and we can give feedback. It might be an inexpensive setting, but that's not really the point, you know? If it's going to annoy/upset you every time you wear it, it's something you should probably follow up.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, back with pics. They aren't as crisp as I would have liked, but hopefully you can see what I mean.

The underside isn't finished as well as I'd like, either, but that's just nitpicky. I wouldn't send it back over that.

I'm afraid it will bug me. I just don't know what the range of acceptable is for a more economical piece. If I were spending more, I'd send it back without much hesitation (beyond the normal hesitation of "I hate to be a pain, but..."). Maybe that's my answer?

Thoughts?

uprong montage.jpg

underside.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
If it will bother you, then I'd send it back. Even if it wasn't super expensive, it won't sit right with you if you don't address it and if you give them a chance to make it right, then they're better vendors for it, AND, they'll keep your future business. Which, is a good thing for you if you're looking for more pieces down the road.

ETA: I am also very wishy washy on this type of thing because I don't want anyone to feel bad. BUT, it's business and they aren't going to think you're being nit-picky. It's your money.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
lavatea ~

My vote is to send it back. Whether it is an expensive ring or not is not the point. I have never worked with Daniel M but so many other PSers have and they have a good reputation. Don't ever feel badly about addressing something you've paid for that wasn't done right the first time; give them a chance to fix it.

~ faegrace

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there's anything about the set that is bugging you, then sure, address it with him and see what he says. Its totally worth it, IMO.

-A

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I see why this bugs you, it would bother me, too. Definitely let him know, and see what he says.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt he'll rebuff you! Don't stress about it! Ask & send it back!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry that my concerns are true. You’ll have to balance out how much this is going to bother you in the long run versus the cost of the setting and the time, cost and hassle of shipping it back and forth to resolve the issues.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to keep you guys updated. I e-mailed Dan and Caren expressing my concerns. In less than an hour, Dan had responded telling me to send the ring back so they can try to make it right. He did explain that each ring is handmade to fit each stone. I don't think that's the problem in this case, but I guess we'll see what happens once they get the ring back in hand.

So far I'm thoroughly impressed with their customer service and willingness to try to fix this.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I'll keep you posted.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
lavatea ~

Glad to hear! Thank you for keeping us posted and I hope it returns home in perfect shape. :)

~ faegrace

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Here's an update for anyone interested. I returned the ring to DanielM a while ago. I never received anymore communication from them, but the ring did show back up in my mailbox a week or two ago.

The prongs are now perfect, but the stone is not set straight in the prongs. It's tilted a bit now. It really bugs me, but I'm not sending it back. I know it's silly, but I don't want to go to the hassle/pay the shipping/risk the stone during a re-set yet again. It's a shame, really, b/c the ring is beautiful otherwise. And from the way they handled the first return I'm sure they'd probably take it back without a problem.

I don't think I'll use them again, though. Maybe custom isn't for me. Perhaps I'm too picky.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lavatea - I am so sorry that the "fix" of the ring only created new problems - I know how disappointing it is when a setting isn't done right.

And I'm not talking "perfect" - my standards are balanced and symmetrical and well-finished - and I thought from your original pics it was probable the U-prongs were not symmetrical - and I'm like you, I like the underside to be nicely finished. Having the prongs fixed only to have the stone set tilted is just unacceptable. I'm of the belief that a setting sent back for "fixing" should undergo an even stricter QA inspection by the jeweler before being returned to the client, and I'm kind of shocked that the re-done ring was sent to you still not mounted correctly.

I've had several rings done by DanielM - including one U-prong - and honestly I've inspected that U-prong several times since receipt because sometimes I think the "U"s are not symmetrical, but the prongs and the stone are all even, and, like you commented, the setting is fairly inexpensive. For something I only think I see sometimes, I decided it was not worthwhile to send back. But it has given me pause in the sense that I have not yet sent another project their way... While several of their newer designs really please me and may bring me back into the fold, so to speak, I would not go with another U-prong or similar-type setting.

Sorry to be so longwinded, but I also want to say - you are not too picky! -- and while only you can decide if custom work is for you - don't forget that by having a piece made ourselves, meaning sending in our treasured stones directly to the jeweler and working with them and then receiving back the finished project -- we are essentially the final QA step that normally would be performed in a jewelry store by - I'm not sure who, but I know there are buyers and managers and sales teams and I'm sure their own QA people whether in-house benchmen or whatever - so by the time a piece makes it out onto the sales floor, several inspections and QA have already taken place to weed out any less-than-perfect piece.

At least, that's my perspective - I feel I get more of choice going custom and most of the time a significant price break as compared to if I bought a similar ring at a jewelry store ... but much more of the QA onus is on me to make the right choice of stone and to choose a suitable setting, and then to inspect the stone and the setting to make sure they meet my standards.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know you are not alone in your experience, and that I empathize with your current situation -- these gemstones have been handpicked by us, and we take a lot of time and energy (and money) to find settings that speak to us and jewelers or benchmen we can trust to turn our stones into wearable treasures. When it doesn't turn out and it doesn't seem it can be corrected, it is a real loss.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
How disappointing. A tilted stone would drive me batty, to the point I'm not sure how often I would end up wearing the ring. Could you post some pictures?

I just wanted to add: Most of the time when I have a stone set, it's custom. For the most part, I've been pretty happy with the cost/quality ratio. I get that handmade work usually has some flaws or variations if I'm inclined to look for them, which I usually am. However, a tilted stone is not normal, handmade variation, it's careless workmanship, and to me, that is unacceptable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results