shape
carat
color
clarity

so close to the end! come advise!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
At long last, the end is neigh! Thank you to everyone who has been so much help on my endless requests and questions.

So for the longest time I have been searching for that 'one' stone <snort, aren't we all>.. This had always been in mind, a blue sapphire. .but nothing was right. Things came close, but no. Eventually, it came to the point where our finances were needed elsewhere for more important things and we decided to put it on the back burner for the time being. I wear a simple white gold and diamond band which husband gave me on our wedding day which I interchange with or sometimes wear with a pretty little dainty diamond and tanzanite half eternity that is equally sentimental which H gave me recently while away.

my engagment ring was a rip off, expensive disappointment from a high street jeweller, after a series of crap with regards to said ring and trying to rectify the situation I stopped wearing it all together and thus found pricescope on the hunt for a blue gem to replace it.

A few weeks ago I spotted a beautiful Afghan tourmaline that I'd missed out on via loupetroop- totally gutted and very surprised at myself- it isn't predominantly blue, a sapphire or a sparkly round cut which is all I'd expected to use- I contacted brad on the recommendation of another PS' er (thank you!!)

I've completed the purchase today and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival, and my mind is buzzing with ideas. I'd love your Input- you guys are a fab sounding board and full on inspiration.

We will be having a simple band made (possibly a diamond half et) to sit flush next to the ring so that's something to bare in mind possibly. I am thinking of using yellow gold (though warmer, not quite rose but not a bright bright yellow) as my husbands wedding ring is y.g. I am keen on delicate double prongs? I think. Im finding it difficult to find inspiration.

One of my favourite bits about this project will be the gold itself- from my name you may guess I have links to Cornwall, UK. .. its a hugely sentimental and special place for me, and a jeweller who I have previously bought from offer something I think it special- it's called cornish tin and gold- You can read more here- http://www.cornishtinandgold.co.uk/

Orginally I thought I wanted super sparkly etc, but when it comes down to it, its all about simplicity, timeless design, emotion and sentiment. So im not sure about additional stones, diamon accents etc, but I am open to absoloutly everything. So please do suggest anything you may show this beautiful gem off to its full potential.

The stone!
8 x 4.75 mm and 1.33ct and and totally clean under 10xmagnification according it Brad.

Pictures to follow.

All being well I hope to have this project done by new year.

Cornish X

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
and finally, one of my favourite cornish beach's and the first place I thought of when I first saw the stone. Bliss!

img_20141001_142434.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm super excited for you. However, it's best to wait to have the stone in hand first. Sometimes, inspiration will strike as the stone will "tell" you what colour metal is best, what design (halo, accents, plain, etc) and etc. Light in the UK is weaker than most parts of the U.S., so it might behave differently where you are.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone, congrats. I would just caution, as many others here would, that if this is going to be an e-ring replacement (???), then do not wear it everyday. Tourmalines are not the most durable stones.

That being said, I'm going to state the obvious for me, and ask you to put it in rose gold. The rose gold will bring out the blue in the stone more than any other metal.

Enjoy your lovely new gem, and keep us posted on the details of your ring design. :appl:

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
I promise to take care of it TL! I wont be wearing it to work (I tend to just wear my band) as its an active job with a high chance of knocking it- that said I am super careful with my rings, but accidents do happen. I am not surprised you say rose gold, I find some rose gold just too red? Im not sure it would suit my skin tone. Should I play around with the stone and a copper coin to get the best feel for it?

Thanks Chrono! I am excited to get it in hand. Im fully expecting it to look different in hand and hoping it looks best in overcast weather since thats pretty standard year round here haha. We'll see. .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold is also too brash for me but I like the softer look of 18k rose gold which looks like yellow gold with a hint of peach.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1412170976|3759777 said:
Should I play around with the stone and a copper coin to get the best feel for it?

Sure!!! I would personally love to see it photographed on a copper penny or pence (in the UK).

There are many alloys of rose gold, and 18K rose gold will be less coppery looking than one with less karatage. You can even do a white shank with a rose gold basket.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put the stone on a 2p when it arrives and see how the colour matches. I think rose gold looks very different in the UK climate and seems to be more red and harsh looking than elsewhere. Having said that, I've developed a girly crush on it!

Yellow gold would look warm and would be my first choice (especially if you want to harmonise the set with your husband's wedding band). I would urge caution with white gold (not sure if that was an option) because it will make the ring look very very very very cold and from everything you've said, I don't think you would like that.

I would be tempted (especially if looking for the traditional) to have it set with a baguette on each side (all standing on end - not sideways) so you basically have a trilogy but with emerald/rectangular cuts. One other thing - double prongs look beautiful but have a habit of getting caught on clothes. With a tourmaline, I would sway away from those.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
This is the colour gold I am hoping for. . its the only pic I have that sort of resembles what I have in my mind..

screenshot_2014-09-26-17-20-18.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never seen that colour rose gold in the UK but if you find it, please let me know because it's spectacular.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a gorgeous metal colour and think the tourmaline will be great in it!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
LD are you UK based?

I am super keen to have this particular jeweller set it- I can't help but feel all romantically gooey over the idea of having cornish shipwreck in my gold!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1412171494|3759788 said:
I've never seen that colour rose gold in the UK but if you find it, please let me know because it's spectacular.

Words I never thought I would hear come from your mouth, as I know how much of a rose gold fan you are. . . . NOT. LOL! :lol: ;-)

Anyways, I agree with LD that is a beautiful alloy of rose gold.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Interesting about double prongs. I have just completely ruined an expensive knit jumper TWICE over (what was i thinking rebuying it?) after catching it on something 2 minutes after putting it on.. Sounds like i'd be prone to catching it!
I really don't fancy bezel setting it, but whenever i try to google baskets for this particular cut they're all just a bit blah to me..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1412171756|3759794 said:
Interesting about double prongs. I have just completely ruined an expensive knit jumper TWICE over (what was i thinking rebuying it?) after catching it on something 2 minutes after putting it on.. Sounds like i'd be prone to catching it!
I really don't fancy bezel setting it, but whenever i try to google baskets for this particular cut they're all just a bit blah to me..

Good, I wouldn't bezel a tourmaline unless I had a top notch expert jeweler to do it, and bezels also tend to make stones look smaller.

Double prongs would be nice as they would protect the corners more.

This is one of my all time favorite baskets. I'm not sure if you're going custom, or doing a standard mount, but this is just an idea. I've seen some standard mounts with interesting baskets like this, and not just your basic four prong basket. I think baskets are a very overlooked part of a ring.

paraiba-tourmaline-diamond-ring-profile.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double prongs should not catch more than single prongs. If it is, it's the workmanship. Your local jeweller should buff the metal down to keep it smooth and make sure the contact point is snug (so that it won't catch). If you can catch your nail or hair under it, the prongs aren't well done.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1412171680|3759792 said:
LD|1412171494|3759788 said:

Words I never thought I would hear come from your mouth, as I know how much of a rose gold fan you are. . . . NOT. LOL! :lol: ;-)

Anyways, I agree with LD that is a beautiful alloy of rose gold.

lol It comes from working a lot with copper TL - I've sort of developed a bit of a crush on it!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually (and bear in mind I'm a ring risk taker here) ............ I WOULD bezel (or semi bezel) that stone BUT I'd make sure the ends were protected as much as I could.

Chrono - in the UK double prongs that are pointed (in fact any very pointed prongs) are actually frowned upon and when they're made I don't find them to be as "safe" as other prongs. They look spectacular but I can't tell you the number of bench's that have tried to persuade me against doing them!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1412171862|3759797 said:
MrsCornishWed|1412171756|3759794 said:

Good, I wouldn't bezel a tourmaline unless I had a top notch expert jeweler to do it, and bezels also tend to make stones look smaller.

Double prongs would be nice as they would protect the corners more.

This is one of my all time favorite baskets. I'm not sure if you're going custom, or doing a standard mount, but this is just an idea. I've seen some standard mounts with interesting baskets like this, and not just your basic four prong basket. I think baskets are a very overlooked part of a ring.

paraiba-tourmaline-diamond-ring-profile.jpg

What a spectacular basket.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1412172227|3759801 said:
Actually (and bear in mind I'm a ring risk taker here) ............ I WOULD bezel (or semi bezel) that stone BUT I'd make sure the ends were protected as much as I could.

Chrono - in the UK double prongs that are pointed (in fact any very pointed prongs) are actually frowned upon and when they're made I don't find them to be as "safe" as other prongs. They look spectacular but I can't tell you the number of bench's that have tried to persuade me against doing them!

I love the look of pointed prongs and double prongs, but yes they do snag on things. You can still get double prongs, but make the edges smooth instead of pointy. I have some rings with double prongs like that, and they don't snag at all. I use the double prongs more for securing the stone better. Of course, you can do single prongs as well, as its a smaller gem, and doesn't need as many prongs for securing it. It's more to protect the corners.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am not a fan of rose gold-but that color is beautiful and would look so pretty with that stone.But I fear that the color is 'monitor only' so I wonder if this could be duplicated by a goldsmith.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1412171643|3759791 said:
LD are you UK based?

I am super keen to have this particular jeweller set it- I can't help but feel all romantically gooey over the idea of having cornish shipwreck in my gold!

Sorry - I missed this question before. Yes I am in the UK!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
LD i'm getting dejavu.. we've had this convo before I think, we aren't far from each other iir ( im south glos to be slightly vague)

anywho- thank you so much for your input guys! I do worry that that particular gold may just be jazzed up by my screen and good photography/lighting and unlikely to be recreated easily. Though Im hoping I can find a gold I am satisfied with. I just cant love yellow gold, it feels so dated to me (sorry, dont hate me YG lovers!) .. I find most rose gold in the UK to be so copper red it doesn't float my boat at all, it's like the latest fad here. My jeweler (who is probably going to be a bit upset that I wont be using him to set this stone..) pratically recoiled in horror when I dropped the words rose gold into a conversation one day. I should imagine he probably thought I meant the same sort that is currently lining the display windows of some of the jewellery stores in the nearest Mall. (I may still use this particular jeweller if i don't get the service I hope from the cornwall based one, i'd love the cornish tin and gold aspect but am extremely nervous about the logistics of having a custom ring made with such limits on our communication with me being miles and miles away)

But tbh I am finding the longer i have WG jewellery the less tolerant I am of it (and i agree, it is not right for this stone at all, it'd look all icy and washed out I think) .. it scratched SO bloody easy, I am forever paying out to have it redipped. Its annoying. Paladium has a real greyness to it that i just can't get with (though my friend had the most gorgeous hammered paladium and YG bezel set diamon and sapphire stack, but she's cool and edgy like that.. I couldn't pull that stuff off)

does anyone have any examples of a half bezel for this kind of cut? I can't imagine it. I dont think filigree and overly fancy baskets are for me either, mainly because I worry about it sitting too high off of my finger? it all feels very unknown and exciting!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love the cut of your stone!

re red/rose gold: i'm a big fan of 18k but not 14k..........
while it may take some time to find someone willing to work with you in 18k red/rose gold, it is worth taking the time to find that bench jeweler.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the Tourmaline, Congrats!

how about something like these? classic elegant and timeless, instead of double prongs, how about Tab Prongs? (I'm sorry I can't remember who these belong to :blackeye: )

step_baguette.jpg

trapsthreestone.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you haven't worked with the Cornish jeweller before then I would urge caution. If you've seen his/her work then maybe use him/her.

I have a contact in Birmingham who may be able to mix the colour gold you want and also make a ring for you (they do CADS). They're not the cheapest but they're very very good and everything they've made for me has been exceptionally well made and exactly how I wanted it.

Not sure if they can also source Cornish gold but it's worth asking?

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
LD- if i used diamond side stones i intended to just let the jeweller source them, but given that value for money seems to be so much better getting things from the states, should I consider sourcing them myself and getting them shipped to me?

dandt, i love that!

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
LD, Id love to know more. I wish PS had a PM feature.
The cornish jewellers I bought my tanz eternity ring from, im currently in contact with them on another matter and I have to say so far im pleased with their customer service. Stupid question alert, but even if they get their patent sorted, does that restrict me asking the jeweller i use for most of my bits and bobs to source cornish tin and use in the same way as they are? or does it just restrict said jeweller from advertising it as a service?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results