shape
carat
color
clarity

Silly Pad Question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anybody seen/got a Pad that is orange/pink in some lights (definite mixture of the two) but then in incandescent light goes very pink and in natural daylight goes very orange? Almost a colour shifter?

Is that possible?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmm...mine does the opposite, more orange indoors and more pink outdoors..

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 12:16:35 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Mmm...mine does the opposite, more orange indoors and more pink outdoors..
That''s really interesting. So do you actually see the whole gem shift in colour to a distinct colour change? I don''t mean just bits of the gem but an actual full body colour shift - does that make sense?

The reason I''m asking is the one I''ve received seems to be doing it and I''m wondering if the colour shift would mean it''s a colour change sapphire rather than a Pad? I''ve never heard anybody say that their Pad has shifted in colour, hence my question.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know if I''d call it a color shift, I think the incandescent indoor lighting has a stronger yellow component which brings out the orange more, and outdoor lighting is more blue and brings out the pink more. I have a color change garnet that goes pad-color to golden, which is a distinct color change, so compared to that the pad doesn''t change, it just favors one half of it''s personality over the other depending on the lighting.

Sorry if that was rambly, hope if helps? Maybe TL or Linda can chime in
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea but I wonder if it has to do if any colour shift. I, too, have a colour change garnet that goes from pink to gold depending on the light source, and sometimes, I get a mix of both colours.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This definitely isn''t a CC Garnet. I know the colour you''re both referring to as I have some myself and this is completely different (and this has tested as a Sapphire). Soooooooooo ............ ! If Pads don''t colour shift per se then I''m guessing this is a Sapphire that looks like a Pad but is actually a colour changer if that makes sense! I''ve managed to capture the incandescent colour in a photo (and the orange/pink combo is easy to see) but I haven''t tried to photograph it in daylight. If I get time tomorrow I''ll do it and post up piccies for you to see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t mean to say it’s a CC garnet but thought it might be a colour shift sapphire that might shift from orange to pink and sometimes shows a blend of the two? Sort of like what my CC garnet does, except this is in a sapphire. Does something like that even exist?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can''t really help you here...I''ve seen mine go pink AND orange depending on the day outside. It also does that inside. I actually haven''t been able to peg its personality yet, but I also don''t wear it enough.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's the bottom ring MTG is it a CC Garnet? I know the top one is your Pad
2.gif

Sorry Chrono - I knew what you meant! I'm having a bad day and for some reason can't "verbalise"!!!

I have absolutely no idea whether it's possible for a Pad to be a colour shifter (I doubt it) and it's more likely just to be a Sapphire colour shifter that just happens to be Pad coloured!!! I've got two colour change sapphire bracelets with numerous sapphires and each one changes to a different colour so I'm sure that this colour way is possible - it's just whether a Pad can be a colour shifter too!!!

Sorry to interchange the words colour shift and colour change. This stone definitely has a strong shift and not a change to across the colour wheel.

ETA: Thanks TG. It's interesting that both you and MTG are seeing your Pads take on different personalities. I guess that makes sense when you think a Pad should show two colours but I was very surprised by this one!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, the bottom is a CC Malaya garnet.

I''m always so annoyed at how badly that pad photographs
29.gif
Ah well.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 1:38:16 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Can''t really help you here...I''ve seen mine go pink AND orange depending on the day outside. It also does that inside. I actually haven''t been able to peg its personality yet, but I also don''t wear it enough.

Mine also do that. Depends on the different lights. Some lights bring out more orange and some lights bring out more pink.

That is the beauty of the padparadscha.

If you can, look up Widgets beautiful pad. It looks pink, and in a different light, it is a beautiful orange color.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure I should add anything to this post since my pad has no cert or proof of it''s authenticity or possible treatments. BUT it does quite a bit of color shifting and even looks different at different times of the day outside. Sunrise and sunset are particularly nice as the stone seems to come alive. The best thing my brain is coming up with (long day) today is that it takes on the color of raw salmon. I''ve worn it every day now for a year and a half and I still find the shifting and different looks fascinating.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2009 5:08:23 PM
Author: brandy_z28
Not sure I should add anything to this post since my pad has no cert or proof of it''s authenticity or possible treatments. BUT it does quite a bit of color shifting and even looks different at different times of the day outside. Sunrise and sunset are particularly nice as the stone seems to come alive. The best thing my brain is coming up with (long day) today is that it takes on the color of raw salmon. I''ve worn it every day now for a year and a half and I still find the shifting and different looks fascinating.

EXACTLY Brandy. That is when they say that pads look their best, I know mine do too. Thank you for posting this.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Linda and Brandy. I''d never heard that Pads shifted colour so it''s incredibly interesting to know they do! I''ve just done a search for Widget''s Pad and during that found a few photos of interest.

First this one. This was posted by Coloured Gemstone Nut to show the different colours of Pads. Mine goes from a little stronger pink colour like the gemstone top left but during the day looks like top middle (a sort of salmon/orange/gold colour).

Pad%20Sapphire%20Suite.JPG

Then Widget''s which is more the colour I see in incandescent light. (picture to the left - interestingly Widget put it next to the stone I''ve referenced above as being the daylight colour).

Untitled-Stitched-01.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LD would you post a picture of your pad?? I would love to see it.
18.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m struggling with my camera at the moment and nearly everything is coming out blurry. I can''t get this little Pad to look right in the photos and I''ve only taken some tonight (none in daylight yet) so please bear that in mind!

Top row taken in incandescent light but in the shade. You can see the two colours in these photos.
Bottow row taken in incandescent light but not shaded.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 6:55:38 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I can''t get this little Pad to look right in the photos and I''ve only taken some tonight (none in daylight yet) so please bear that in mind!

Haha, I feel your pain! Pads are frustrating to photograph!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LD those are great pictures and very beautiful too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 12:23:07 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I don't know if I'd call it a color shift, I think the incandescent indoor lighting has a stronger yellow component which brings out the orange more, and outdoor lighting is more blue and brings out the pink more. I have a color change garnet that goes pad-color to golden, which is a distinct color change, so compared to that the pad doesn't change, it just favors one half of it's personality over the other depending on the lighting.

Sorry if that was rambly, hope if helps? Maybe TL or Linda can chime in
1.gif
MTG,
Are you kidding? The gem labs can't even make up their mind on what a padparadscha is, so I don't think I can give poor LD any input - LOL!! I am the last person on earth to ask, but I will show you this Harry Winston ring, because after all the definitions and everyone trying to figure out what a padparadscha is, I think a picture is worth 1000 words. In my mind, this is probably what qualifies as a perfect padparadscha (and that's not a huge comfort, believe me!!
emcrook.gif
)

My only suggestion to LD is that if she loves the stone and didn't pay a huge premium due to it being a padparadscha, then she should keep it, love it, and add it to her amazing collection. It's a very pretty stone, and I do see orange in both shifts of color.

HarryWinstonpadRing.jpg

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
wowzer.gif
Seriously!! That Harry Winston is a beautiful color.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
TL- That is a beautiful colour whatever it''s called and a beautiful ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh TL - WOW I'd give that ring a home!

I agree to everything you say. This is definitely a keeper because I didn't pay a lot (and it has a yucky window that I need to do a Houdini with) but I love it's multiple personalities and I definitely see the two colours in real life (although in some lights more than others). If it's a Pad - great. If not, I don't care because it's very pretty!

Anyway, here are the daylight photos - taken on a dull, rainy, grey, windy day though a gem box lid because I knew I'd be chasing it around the garden if I didn't leave the lid on! So this is the more peach/orange colour.

B U T I know why this changes colour. I had a brainwave and tried it under the UV light and it has fluor!!! So without further ado, here are the pics ...........

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fluor! I LOVE LOVE LOVE fluor and this has it really strong!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since we are talking pads, Weblorn/Gemnut has this little beauty up on ebay. While very small (just over 0.5ct), I think the colour is very nice.

pad-triangle.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2009 6:54:55 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Oh TL - WOW I''d give that ring a home!

I agree to everything you say. This is definitely a keeper because I didn''t pay a lot (and it has a yucky window that I need to do a Houdini with) but I love it''s multiple personalities and I definitely see the two colours in real life (although in some lights more than others). If it''s a Pad - great. If not, I don''t care because it''s very pretty!

Anyway, here are the daylight photos - taken on a dull, rainy, grey, windy day though a gem box lid because I knew I''d be chasing it around the garden if I didn''t leave the lid on! So this is the more peach/orange colour.

B U T I know why this changes colour. I had a brainwave and tried it under the UV light and it has fluor!!! So without further ado, here are the pics ...........
I wish people would drop the padparadscha marketing name and just call all these gems pink-orange sapphires. To me, there is too much distinction between pink and orange, unlike red and pink, which are typically the two colors in a ruby - another marketing name. I''m glad you''re enjoying it and loving it for what it is, and it is a lovely stone.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I just found this thread on Pad''s that talks some about color shifting pads. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pad-sapphire-going-colorless-in-some-light-condition.94507/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results