shape
carat
color
clarity

Sidestones for mahenge spinel?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
All I''m coming up with are white diamonds. Does anyone else have suggestions what would compliment the vivid pink/red of a mahenge?

stats on Gemburi mahenge.JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
demontoid

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would set it with diamonds also, but then as much as I love color, I''m not one for mixing colors much within the same ring. I''m afraid colored sidestones might detract from the gorgeous pink color of the Mahenge.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, white diamonds would be my first choice, but I think green compliments hot pink / red. How about some tsavorites? I know someone who wants to surround her tsavorite with a couple of pear mahenges or pink sapphires, so this would just be the opposite, and I think it's easier to find pears tsavorites. Tan has a lot of them. Yellow diamonds are also another option, maybe some cape diamonds in yellow gold????

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Something light yellow would be my suggestion too (if you''re not crazy about classic white), either diamonds if budget allows or sapphires. But depending on the cut used, even yellow beryls might look nice. A nice shade of yellow gold (preferably 18k) could certainly enhance the whole arrangement, but two-tone could look nice too.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would try holding sapphires (white) up against this stone. Sapphires wouldn''t sparkle as much as diamonds and I think might compliment the spinel better while staying in the background. Now I haven''t tested this idea of mine yet. So if you do please tell me/us what you think of the sapphires next to the spinel.

HTH

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2010 11:50:53 AM
Author: colorluvr
I think I would set it with diamonds also, but then as much as I love color, I''m not one for mixing colors much within the same ring. I''m afraid colored sidestones might detract from the gorgeous pink color of the Mahenge.

I agree. I''d want the colour of the spinel to shine.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
depends on your intent for the ring - if you want a more classic look, diamonds! if you want a more fun/casual ring, another colour like yellow or green would look fabulous!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t much like the look of the tsavs or yellow sapphires. This stone has too much of a "cool" undertone.

I do, however, like the look of these lavendar blue spinels. What do you think?

mahenge & blue spinel.JPG

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I
30.gif
that combo uppy! What about spess as sidestones?
31.gif
I''m putting demantoids as sidestones for my o/R mahenge.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a more balanced picture with correct proportions.

mahenge & blue spinel2.JPG

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very pretty with the lavender stones. I love the idea of demantoid or some other green stone though, because it reminds me of something in the garden!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s what it looks like with tsav sides.

mahenge & tsav.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
with demantoids

mahenge & demantoid.JPG

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
My favourite so far is the pear shaped side stones.

I thought of using yellow diamonds for my Mahenge spinel and even bought some yellow cz melees so I could visualise the result, in the end I scrapped the idea.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I have some warm omc diamonds that I thought would be beautiful, but I don''t really like the warmer colors with the mahenge. The demantoids I''ve posted are growing on me though.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I do like the lavender. I got the idea of the champagne at an estate sale today. There was an old carved emerald ring for sale with a champagne colored halo. I know your stone is red and this one was green, but it looked so pretty with the warm stones! There were two dealers fighting over it.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Tsav cushions, bitte! However, I just love cushion three stone rings, so I might be biased.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I vote for something orange - fanta orange. Love to see a collage with orange if you can find something Uppy.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
here''s a pic with some spess

mahenge & orange spess.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you''re going to do a green side stone, I would stick with tsavorites over demantoids. Most demantoids shift to a more olive or yellow color, unless you get the really expensive kind. At least tsavorites hold their green better. I like the blue spinel sides, they are cool, and let the hot spinel really stand out. I like cool and warm stones together.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
now these look pretty cool

mahenge & mandaring garnet.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say, unlike Gailey (sorry Gailey), I don't care at all for orange next to hot pink. I think these two hot colors compete too much with each other. I have a hot pink tourmaline and a very orange spessartite and I never wear them next to each other, they just cancel each other out so to speak. It's also really difficult to find spessartites without brown in them, and I don't want to see brown around this beautiful gem.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah i think the pink and orange are an awesome combo usually, but I think with the photoshop job you did above, the sidestones really take away from the center...

What about a pink diamond halo?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Although I think a pink diamond halo would look stunning, I don't want to go the halo route. My ering is a halo, and I don't want to duplicate that look.

Right now I'm leaning toward either a Leon pave split shank (starryeyed), or pear diamond sidestones, or the colored sides (at this point the lavender-blue pears are leading in my mind).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about morganite? not sure if its popular on here as I am an infrequent lurker - but it would be pretty to me :)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
sparkly dementoid cushions of squarish proportions

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pink diamond split shank then.
3.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results