shape
carat
color
clarity

Side Stones for grey silver violet spinel.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
So as many of you know I have a love of antique jewelry. I also love spinels, lately I have had a fascination with grayish, silver spinels. When I first started to collect them the stones I was buying were too dark and lifeless (rookie error you should see my gem box). I had good luck getting some small precision cut stones from BB and Uli but I eventually wanted some larger stones. I found a vendor on ebay who had some really nice stones with clarity that was too good (TL posts and warnings ran through my head). I ended up buying a smaller stone that the owner guaranteed was natural spinel. I sent it to AGL and had it tested, results showed natural spinel. Since then I have made other purchases and have sent some to AGL ( all tested natural). I have to say the cutting on his stones is really nice too. Usually high crowned and very sparkly.
Silvery spinels are awesome, in my opinion. They have incredible luster and usually throw flashes of pink, blue, violet and white. They are different and maybe a little gothic or macabre but I like that.

I recently bought two little 29point AVC diamonds that are high in color L with really nice clarity. I would like to pair them with one of my silvery spinels but think maybe the spinel is a little large for the diamonds. Opinions welcome.

A note on the photos. I recently got a pop up photo tent and it helps but this was all done with natural lighting. My next purchase will be some sort of ott light.

spinelw-AVC.jpg

spinelw-AVC1.jpg

spinelw-AVC2.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
some other pics of my grayish purple/blue/pink family

spinel33.jpg

spinel44.jpg

spinel55.jpg

spinel66.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice collection Treenbean! I am also drawn to those types of colours and I appreciate the beauty of these shades so I really love this photo!
Great cuts on all those single shots!
I think depending up on the setting, those diamond could work well with the spinel.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi- Thanks. I knew there would be fellow grey lovers out there. I will probably set it as it is on the plate, a three stone with lots of open-ness to it trellis maybe? White metal. Glad you like the photos I am trying to get better.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of open work - trellis would be beautiful with that. Something soft, antique-ish, flowing, organic... I could see those colours working with WG - or would you throw in a little bit of RG if it worked with the tones of your spinel? Maybe put RG claws to set the AVC side stones to warm them up? oooh...!!! Spider claw prongs in RG?!? (I have a claw prong fetish!)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love the last picture of the "family" together. nice collection.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice collection Treebean. Can you spill the beans on who the ebay vendor is?

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi- hehe I see I have your creative juices flowing! I love the whole prong idea. I like where you are going with this.

MoZo- Thanks, now if I can only figure out what to do with them all.

TL- You're punny! The vendor is colorgemshop http://stores.ebay.com/colorgemshop His name is Marnar and he is very nice. all but two spinels in the family photo were purchased from him. He discloses treatments and has followed through on all of our deals. He is also open to reasonable offers.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous unusual spinel! What is its size/dimensions?

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely collection!! I find I don't mind gray in spinels either, particularly lavender/purply ones. I have one ebay stone in particular that would look right at home with your little family.

As far as the cushions for setting go, I like the three together! I wouldn't mind seeing what the little AVCs would look like on either side of the elongated stone positioned NW (the first of the "other" spinels that you posted).

I also like Enerchi's idea of incorporating RG, but I would use RG prongs on the spinel, and WG prongs on the diamonds to keep them as inconspicuous as possible.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could be wrong, but I don't think you have to have grey spinels checked out as natural. I don't think they synthesize grey spinels due to the fact that it's not a desirable color, and they're pretty inexpensive too. Often the neon blues, reds and pinks are what are synthesized. Someone may want to chime in on that though.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Nice collection! I have an EC spinel in a similar color range and I love it.

I have purchased two stones from colorgemstore (name on ebay). The first was a spessartite and they willingly got a cert for it when I asked (for $20), and the stone was much prettier than their picture. I do need to mention, however, that the ametrine I bought from them had a huge window, but I didn't pay enough to send it back, so I resold it in a "lot" of stones on DB. Just wanted to give anyone looking at their ametrines a heads up. I should have know better because it was waaay cheaper than the precision cut ametrine I bought previously (from a different vendor).

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Erinl- sizes: L to R in the "family photo" Back row. pinkish grey 4.10, grayish violet 3.05, silver oval 3.30, grayish purple 4.81. front row 1.52, 1.39,1.96, uli Z .60, BB 1.04. The stone sitting with the little AVC's is the 3.05 cushion.

Petit- Thanks! I dunno why I like them I just do. I will try to take a pick with the oval. I would love to see your stone too.

TL- I didn't know that! I thought because they were so clean they could have been some sort of hydrothermal whosawhatsit. It did bring me peace of mind and more trust in the vendor.

Colorluvr- Thanks. I've only purchased spinels from him. I do like some of his other stones though. Good to know about the ametrine.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey: Treenbean - any photos of the kind of setting you are looking at?

Been drooling over the antique treasures on this site - www.newyorkestatejewelry.com - just a little inspirational! :naughty: :Up_to_something:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
As a self confessed "prong addict"... they had me at hello!!! That's a gorgeous setting! :lickout:

Your side stones may be smaller, but I don't think they would not work. It would obviously look different and perhaps depending upon the height you mounted the centre/sides at, I think it could work nicely - but that's just my opinion ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treenbean|1329839828|3130815 said:
Erinl- sizes: L to R in the "family photo" Back row. pinkish grey 4.10, grayish violet 3.05, silver oval 3.30, grayish purple 4.81. front row 1.52, 1.39,1.96, uli Z .60, BB 1.04. The stone sitting with the little AVC's is the 3.05 cushion.

Petit- Thanks! I dunno why I like them I just do. I will try to take a pick with the oval. I would love to see your stone too.

TL- I didn't know that! I thought because they were so clean they could have been some sort of hydrothermal whosawhatsit. It did bring me peace of mind and more trust in the vendor.

Colorluvr- Thanks. I've only purchased spinels from him. I do like some of his other stones though. Good to know about the ametrine.

Well, I could be wrong, and perhaps they're synthesizing grey spinels too these days (I wouldn't put it past them), so I guess better safe than sorry. Perhaps Pandora or another gemologist or someone more in the know about synthetic spinels could speak to that.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Treenbean|1329841739|3130830 said:
That is a really good website and I was surprised by some of their prices.

I was thinking something like this but it seems I should have bigger side stone? http://artofplatinum.com/vault/antique-cushion-platinum-engagement-ring

That's a really pretty setting and would look great with your stones.
Have you thought about doing fine milgrain bezels on the AVC's and then claws on the spinel, the bezels will add size to the AVC's making the proportions work better in my opinion. I also personally like the idea of bezels on the diamonds because I find claws (even fine claws) on small cushions can hide the cushion shape, they can end up looking like rounds.

I also like the idea of all white metal for this project, if you were to add a little pave on the band or gallery black oxidization behind the diamonds would look great with the spinel and add to the vintage, slightly gothic look.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Enerchi! You are my enabler right now lol.

TL it would be Good to know.

Mike R- I like how you think. Good idea about the bezels.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mike R said:
Have you thought about doing fine milgrain bezels on the AVC's and then claws on the spinel, the bezels will add size to the AVC's making the proportions work better in my opinion. I also personally like the idea of bezels on the diamonds because I find claws (even fine claws) on small cushions can hide the cushion shape, they can end up looking like rounds.

I also like the idea of all white metal for this project, if you were to add a little pave on the band or gallery black oxidization behind the diamonds would look great with the spinel and add to the vintage, slightly gothic look.

NOW who's the enabler?? :Up_to_something: Mike, that sounds amazing - any photos of what you are thinking? (Although you describe it beautifully)

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Mike R|1329845135|3130877 said:

Ooooh... that DOES sound lovely!!!

Treebean, I'm curious about your baby AVCs. Did you purchase them as a pair, or separately?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Mike R|1329845135|3130877 said:
Treenbean|1329841739|3130830 said:
That is a really good website and I was surprised by some of their prices.

I was thinking something like this but it seems I should have bigger side stone? http://artofplatinum.com/vault/antique-cushion-platinum-engagement-ring

Mike R-- do you have any pictures of examples of black oxidation under the melee? That sounds gorgeous!

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi|1329846043|3130891 said:
Mike R said:

NOW who's the enabler?? :Up_to_something: Mike, that sounds amazing - any photos of what you are thinking? (Although you describe it beautifully)

Thanks, I think it would look great! Because I'm trade I cant share my pictures, but if you do a google image seach for "tiffany lucida three stone ring" you will find a claw bezel combo. Their vesion is a little chunky and the look can be much prettier than this.

I will share for education a cropped (so its not spam) image of black rhodium on 18ct white gold, the look works great with purple gems.

DSC04740.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh MY!!! :love: That is breathtaking!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Yes to this idea Treenbean!! that looks perfect and IMO, it would enhance the look of your AVC's. I really like that goth/vintage feel of the black rhodium - good one!!
(enabling is so much fun :naughty: :Up_to_something: :wink2: )

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Petit- I called GOG and they pulled L and M colored stones to find a good match then I wired them money and voile. I think they are SWEET.

Mike R -That photo is amazing I love the darkened metal to make the melee pop! Is that your work? Who is Mike R? Anyone know who Mike R is? I wanna see the rest of your work!!!

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Treenbean|1329861626|3131151 said:
Petit- I called GOG and they pulled L and M colored stones to find a good match then I wired them money and voile. I think they are SWEET.

Mike R -That photo is amazing I love the darkened metal to make the melee pop! Is that your work? Who is Mike R? Anyone know who Mike R is? I wanna see the rest of your work!!!

Thanks, yes that is my work.

I was thinking a dark finish on the milgrain could also look really good, then maybe just polish the top of small beads created by the milgrain, this would give great depth.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Mike R- Good god man! Put your company or website in your profile! Your work looks awesome....

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Treenbean|1329866313|3131198 said:
Mike R- Good god man! Put your company or website in your profile! Your work looks awesome....

DITTO this!!! Can you give us a clue where to find you? Sorry if this is posted somewhere but I am unaware... your work is stunning!

Treenbean, sounds like you could be falling under this spell!! :naughty: I sure would be :bigsmile:

Mike R

Shiny_Rock

8-) Thanks Treenbean. I haven't put the website on my profile because I like to post my ideas without feeling or looking like a spammer.

Enerchi|1329872265|3131279 said:

DITTO this!!! Can you give us a clue where to find you? Sorry if this is posted somewhere but I am unaware... your work is stunning!

Treenbean, sounds like you could be falling under this spell!! :naughty: I sure would be :bigsmile:

If you search RDG on PS you will find me, Your a great co-enabler.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:o :o :o Mike - you are making ZahraLeyla's AMAZING piece of art for her OMC - OMG!!! (<---tee hee, cute!)

WOW! You know what you are talking about when it comes to jewellry as an art form, for sure!

Thanks for the info :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results