shape
carat
color
clarity

Show us your green garnets!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had many, sold off several (some that I shouldn't have, but alas...), and these are my four current ones. While the umbrella disclaimer for this thread is that greens don't always come through in photos as they do IRL, I would still love to drool over the various shades and shapes! I know there are some serious beauties out there, bring on the eye candy! :Up_to_something:

2.49 ct oval cut by Gene, 4.1 ct pear from Prima (inclusions in both of these aren't bothersome in person), 1.9 ct mint from Peter Torraca, mint cushion from Gene (I think around 1.5 ct?).

img_9219.jpg

img_9221.jpg

img_9222.jpg

img_9226.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have 3 tsavorites, a Merelani mint, 2 Namibian and 1 Russian demantoid (and a partridge in a pear tree). Used to have a Mali, which I sold, and I also sold a second mint that was too similar to my newer mint to justify keeping.

Quick pic I snapped of all of them...really washed out and not a good pic at all, but it's the best I could get. Left to right: Lisa Elser tsavorite, Gene tsavorite, Barry mint, tiny Russian demantoid, princess cut tsavorite, Gene Namibian demantoid, and in the gem box is a Jeff Davies Namibian demantoid. Pic doesn't do any of them justice except maybe the Lisa Elser, which is showing up nearly as vibrant and bright as it is in real life.

img_20150904_200526929-2.jpg

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Just bought my first, a demantoid from Madagascar from Kosnar Gem Co. Can't wait to get it, it looks lovely! They're very kindly cutting a matching imperial topaz for me, so I won't have it for a little while -- I'm making a ring with birthstones for both of my (mostly grown) children, and am using somewhat unusual colors of their birthstones that match their eyes & personalities. Enjoying the eye candy!

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Great thread! I don't have any green garnets but I like to look. :love:

jstarefireb, I really like all of your setting choices.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I have too many green garnets! A lot of them, I've sold.
These are what I left with.
Ever since I started collecting I've been pretty lucky in this department. It started with this mint heart

100_6206_______.jpg

img_5652_______.jpg

img_1155_______.jpg

img_6861_______.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
And these .... That'll be all garnets that I'm left with for now :tongue:

img_6109_______.jpg

img_7162_______.jpg

img_5511_______.jpg

img_6140_______.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I completely forgot this pair...alreay in earrings..total 2.xct each one slightly above 1ct :tongue:

img_9227.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1441420166|3923849 said:
I have had many, sold off several (some that I shouldn't have, but alas...), and these are my four current ones. While the umbrella disclaimer for this thread is that greens don't always come through in photos as they do IRL, I would still love to drool over the various shades and shapes! I know there are some serious beauties out there, bring on the eye candy! :Up_to_something:

2.49 ct oval cut by Gene, 4.1 ct pear from Prima (inclusions in both of these aren't bothersome in person), 1.9 ct mint from Peter Torraca, mint cushion from Gene (I think around 1.5 ct?).

Of course they are all beautiful and I'm sure I've told you that a gazillion times. :)) But you know what I'm struck by in your pics? How varied they look by shape - the 2.49 oval looks so big! I mean, I KNOW your 4.1 ct is a very big, but the oval holds its own next to it. This is probably true of ovals in general, I just didn't notice until seeing such great comparison photos. Love your collection.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I love this thread! I've never owned a green garnet, but this makes me want one!! :think:

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Green garnets and chrome tourmaline have to be the hardest stones to photograph. I have tried different camera's, the iPhone and nothing seems to show the intense green you see in real life. A really nice tsavorite or chrome tourmaline can only be fully appreciated in person. These are my favorite stones, unfortunately good rough has become very scarce and expensive the past few years.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! How gorgeous. I did not realise green garnets are THAT pretty. Thanks for starting this thread.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh how I love these gems, definitely going to enjoy this thread!! So many beautiful gems here already, love all of your pics.

I've also owned and sold a decent amount of them, lol (you can add me to the club - I will also only post pics of my current greens). I used to collect both tsavs and mints, but I eventually realized that I prefer mints overall. I still want to get another tsav at some point, though. I sold all of my tsavs and then kind of missed them...picked one up recently though, it's shown below. And one of these gems pictured was purchased "preloved" from a lovely PSer with excellent taste, whom I'm sure will recognize the gem ;-)

Pics one and two show my three "larger" mint garnets - first is 1.76 cts, 7.3 mm Portuguese round cut by Andrew at Gemfix; then 2.39 ct, 7.5 mm Gene cut; then an oval 2.12 ct, @9.5 x 7.5 if memory serves, from Yvonne Raley. Interestingly, while it has the "worst" cut (not precision), the oval has the best color and is easily the most saturated. It glows in sunlight, similar to how a paraiba glows IMO. The gemfix round looks the "mintiest" and has no yellow at all, with the blue mod, but it's also the smallest; the Gene gem has arguably the best cut, it's chunky and gorgeous and a sparkle bomb, but it definitely shows more yellow than either of the others (which really show little to none). I've been debating for a couple of months on selling one of these, but I simply cannot decide which one to sell, since they all have definite strengths and weaknesses. And I like them all!! So they all remain with me for now :)

Pic 3 - Picked up a tsav after I realized that I missed having one :). Stephanie at Metalicious sourced it and set it, it's about a carat, 6 mm round. This pic shows it looking it's very best; it varies a bit in lighting.

Pic 4 - my 5 mm pair of Portuguese mints from Yvonne, 1.15 cts total weight, they are set in my three stone ring with a mahenge center. They look yellower in this pic and not as nice as they are IRL, but it's a decent pic.

_33996.jpg

_33997.jpg

_33999.jpg

_33998.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
A few more pics of same gems - believe me, I could easily fill a thread with pics on each one of these. (Also a pic of some mint melee I got but haven't used yet. They look gorgeous IRL but pretty washed out in the pic; they're so tiny that it makes them even harder to get decent pics of, 1.8 mm). The hard part isn't just getting the color right - they can look so washed out or too yellow even when they're not - but my two rounds can show beautiful dispersion, especially the Gene gem. I can't ever get it to photograph though :(. My pics truly don't do these justice, but I tried!

_34002.jpg

_34003.jpg

_34004.jpg

_34005.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is just nothing I don't like about green! Here are a few that I have known and loved. Some I still have, some have been adopted by new families, including, most recently, my all time favorite mint merelani, a trillion nicknamed Precioussssssss. I am pleased to say that all adoptive families are PSers. :))

First, Roger's pic of his stone, then two of my photos of Roger's stone, then Preciousssss.

2-21-13_roger_garnet_mint_preview.jpg

rd_merelani_mint_1_overcast_pm_5-30_0.jpg

rd_merelani_4_overcast_pm_5-30_0.jpg

merelani_mint_inside_0.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then more of Precioussss and her partner in crime, Tsavorite. Oh, I forgot stats! I think the Roger stone is a little over 2 carats, Precioussss is right around 2 cts, and Tsavorite is a bit over 2.

trillion_merelani_mint_pre.jpg

merelani_mint_1_diffused_daylight_6-15_0.jpg

trill_tsav_diffused_0.jpg

tsav_indirect_daylight_2_0.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then Mr. Cush. A big presence for a little guy, at just over 1 ct IIRC.
Next up is an unnamed, nonprecision cut, 4+ ct fellow who lives with another 4 ct cushion cut mate at the bank. I'm embarrassed to say they don't get much attention. They are medium dark stones and I had an impossible time photographing him - you can see how manipulated the backgrounds in the photos are and yet it still does not come close to the saturated color I see. As close to a "vivid" tsavorite as I've seen.

tsav_cush_table_shot_9-07-14_0.jpg

tsav_cush_hand_inside_9-07-14_pre.jpg

tsav_old_7_3-07-14_preview.jpg

tsav_old_4_3-07-14_preview.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drooling here...one of my favorite colors for garnets. Unfortunately, like with many stones, I was late to jump on the bandwagon. Was fortunately enough to buy the trillion from a friend - exactly the color I was looking for. Other than that just some babies. Would love to own a mint someday and a larger tsav.

tsavs.jpg

And while I am dreaming...I was so tempted by this tsav and diamond bracelet - a perfect match with my other two bracelets (shown).

Unfortunately, it was a little bit out of my price range ;(

tsav_bracelet.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, this will be it for now. I have a few more that are at the bank and that I don't have pics of. But here is what I DO have pics of. A darker toned, saturated Merelani Mint or a lighter toned tsavorite from Gemrite. Its over 2 cts and looks very big to me, but I don't remember how big it is. A round merelani mint that I have to do something with. My guess is that its about 2 cts (I think its around 7mm). Then two I've actually set - a Namibian demantoid from Jeff Davis and a tsavorite from Gene in his Jua round.

8-30-13_mint_merelani_supernova_preview.jpg

round_merelani_1_5-30_0.jpg

new_greens_3_pre.jpg

new_greens_4_0.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1441489994|3924076 said:
Drooling here...one of my favorite colors for garnets. Unfortunately, like with many stones, I was late to jump on the bandwagon. Was fortunately enough to buy the trillion from a friend - exactly the color I was looking for. Other than that just some babies. Would love to own a mint someday and a larger tsav.

tsavs.jpg

And while I am dreaming...I was so tempted by this tsav and diamond bracelet - a perfect match with my other two bracelets (shown).

Unfortunately, it was a little bit out of my price range ;(

tsav_bracelet.jpg

Your stones are gorgeous! Wow, they are all so saturated. The little ones carry such a big wallop, and the trillion? I can totally see why you jumped at that one. Woah.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous greens everyone! :love: I have just recently jumped on the green garnet bandwagon. :) Here is my first purchase, a 0.61 ct Namibian demantoid purchased from caratsgems on eBay.

img_20150817_0.jpg

img_20150817_171658.jpg

img_20150817_1.jpg

img_20150817_2.jpg

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I was also late to the green garnet party. I couldn't imagine any green being more wonderful than colombian emeralds. But then I saw green garnets IRL and realized there is room in my heart for all ;-)

Everyone has such wonderful greens. Fun thread!

_34016.jpg

Rothschild55

Rough_Rock
Hi Jstarfireb,
I love your collection of greens, they are so pretty. May I ask where you got the setting for Gene's Tsav-2nd from the left-is it from Sally at Heart of Water? I think it is a really lovely setting;-)
Thank You!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
It's funny, I know that we have the green garnet fans in here bc I've personally bought green garnets from at least two of the posters in this thread :)

Minous - every time I see pics of that round mint I go crazy for it...LOVE it so much!!! And your big tsav - wow!! Didn't know you had that gem, that is beautiful!!

Sungura - did Yvonne make your 5 stone ring too? Very pretty! (I remember she did your pear ring). Your beads reminded me that I have some too, lol. I love long tiny beaded necklaces with genuine gems. Here are a couple of mine - they are each about 32-34 inches long. One is demantoids, mints, moonstones, and mahenges; the other is demantoids, mints, alex, yellow sapphires, blue tourmaline. Both made for me by Yvonne, with silver accents. I've been meaning to have her restring them with 14k gold instead (may sound silly but these beads are actually pretty pricey, so I don't mind spending more for gold accents when I restring them) - plus I want to break up the color blocked mahenge/green one and mix them all up.

Sorry the lighting is so bad, I just snapped these pics quickly. These actually look very pretty in sunlight, although they could use a nice cleaning.

_34027.jpg

_34028.jpg

_34029.jpg

_34030.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Minous - Means a ton coming from someone who has seen so many and has owned some real beauties. I originally passed on the trillion believe it or not. My friend told me she was selling two stones she knew I would be interested. I could only afford one and picked the other one (a cuprian I love as well). Lucky for me, the tsav didn't sell (her picture was horrible but I trust her eye as she taught me a lot of what I know) so I got a second chance...meant to be, right? I think your asscher (and NKOTBs) has me itching for a mint :)

Lovesvintage - thanks for the reminder that I should check caratsgems again...I bought my chryso from them and love it.

katharath - ahh..I have some of yvonne's beads too (tsav, mahenge and red spinels). I bought them unstrung and really need to make them a priority after seeing yours :)

So much green beauty on this thread...

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Loving the eye candy so far! Thank you all for posting! I know there are more goodies out there (ahem, TL and Chrono! :naughty: ), keep 'em coming!! :D

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love green, wish I bought a few more green stones a few years earlier. Thank you everyone for sharing your green gems.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread, love mint and other green garnets. I have others, but I can't find the pics right now, including some demantoids. Here's my favorites for now.

tlmintgarnetmahengedetail.jpg

tlglowingmintgarnet.jpg

tltsav_cab_1.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1441542692|3924242 said:
Fun thread, love mint and other green garnets. I have others, but I can't find the pics right now, including some demantoids. Here's my favorites for now.

tlmintgarnetmahengedetail.jpg

Love your stones TL! I especially like the glowing heart shape ring :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results