shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your gemstones that look like other gemstones...

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
I bought a lot of tiny tanzanites to match my light purple spinel and also picked up two highly saturated gemstones for a reasonable price. Photography was limited and unrealistic, but they were cheap enough to gamble on, to see what this vendor was like. The zircon looks like a paraiba tourmaline (neon blue) and the spinel looks like a medium blue sapphire. I highly suspect the spinel is synthetic even though a lab says it is natural. I believe the zircon is natural. I'm looking forward to seeing my tanzanite lot, so I can play with the design of my ring, but also to use the spinel as a "learning" gemstone, to practice my loupe and handling skills.

I am fascinated by gemstones that look like other gemstones. Has anyone purchased an "imitation" specifically for the amusement or appreciation of the imitation?

(I will post photos of the zircon/spinel when I receive them)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an imitation Paraiba Tourmaline.

screen_shot_2013-10-29_at_12.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a simulant (natural lookalike stone) is the word you might be looking for. I have not purchased a simulant just for kicks but found that sometimes the colouring or appearance is coincidental. I have a sphene that looks sort of like a yellow green demantoid. This stone is in major need of a photograph update though so no pictures of it for now. There's the usual blue spinel that looks like sapphire, red spinel that looks ruby-like, etc.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretzel|1383027441|3546609 said:
I bought a lot of tiny tanzanites to match my light purple spinel and also picked up two highly saturated gemstones for a reasonable price. Photography was limited and unrealistic, but they were cheap enough to gamble on, to see what this vendor was like. The zircon looks like a paraiba tourmaline (neon blue) and the spinel looks like a medium blue sapphire. I highly suspect the spinel is synthetic even though a lab says it is natural. I believe the zircon is natural. I'm looking forward to seeing my tanzanite lot, so I can play with the design of my ring, but also to use the spinel as a "learning" gemstone, to practice my loupe and handling skills.

I am fascinated by gemstones that look like other gemstones. Has anyone purchased an "imitation" specifically for the amusement or appreciation of the imitation?

(I will post photos of the zircon/spinel when I receive them)

I have a sphalerite, which to a novice, could be confused with a orangy yellow diamond.

Spinels are often confused as sapphires and rubies, the most famous being the "Black Prince Ruby" in the State Crown of Great Britain - it's actually a spinel. I have a lot of spinels that could be confused as sapphires, rubies, pink sapphires or padparadchas.

I do agree with Chrono that sphene and demantoid look a lot alike.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have a light blue zircon that looks like an aqua, a Mali garnet that looks like a peridot, and some spinels that look like sapphires...

Zircon:
182477_747991646724_14300210_40741233_8262375_n.jpg

Mali (in the pave setting):
179884_747991616784_14300210_40741231_3955356_n.jpg

Don't have pics of the spinels at the moment.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Andean opal, that is colored like a neon blue tourmaline.

_11404.jpg

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
Those blue and greens are yummy! I will remember the term "simulant" for the future. Is "imitation" reserved for synthetic then?

I agree, sphene and demantoids look alike. I have yet to see either in person but they are top on my list for buying.

What is that gem, Kenny?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1383065215|3546790 said:

Is that color natural? If so, it's a really beautiful color. It's also a little sleepy.

Neon blue apatite is also often used as a very affordable substitute for paraiba, although the luster is waxy, and it's a softer stone.

apa.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
periwinkle|1383073550|3546887 said:
that opal! nice blue!!

I agree -- neon gems always look so fab with that silkiness and opacity. I quite crave a silky neon orange gem. Fire opal? Sunstone?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My spinel is often mistaken for a sapphire. The other day a friend looked at my ring & declared, "Well, I don't need to ask what THAT is!" I was delighted -- "You know spinels, then?" "Huh?" she answered, "Spin who?"

_11410.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Xrisus|1383065215|3546790 said:

Very cool opal!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1383083630|3547000 said:
My spinel is often mistaken for a sapphire. The other day a friend looked at my ring & declared, "Well, I don't need to ask what THAT is!" I was delighted -- "You know spinels, then?" "Huh?" she answered, "Spin who?"

:lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some spinels are also often mistaken for tanzanite, I had that happen to me as well.

They always give you an odd look when you tell them its a spinel, like, "it's a what??"

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1383085679|3547021 said:

Some spinels are also often mistaken for tanzanite, I had that happen to me as well.

They always give you an odd look when you tell them its a spinel, like, "it's a what??"

I know my future SIL will have a similar problem when people ask her what her stone is. I don't know what people will assume it is, maybe peridot? I dunno. It doesnt exactly look like one but what else is green? But chrysoberyl will probably get annoying when she has to explain it lol

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
@ TL: It is its natural color, it seems Peruvian opals can come in various shades of blue, green, blue/green, and pink. Copper is a key element in the coloring of these opals, so I guess it makes sense that the color can be that electrifying blue. The opal is relatevely small, only 9mm x 7mm x 3mm, which I think is the only way you get this kind of opal (a nice pure color without the dendritic inclusions that so often accompany the peruvian opals). Even if it's small, the color is pretty cool looking!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1383101369|3547192 said:
@ TL: It is its natural color, it seems Peruvian opals can come in various shades of blue, green, blue/green, and pink. Copper is a key element in the coloring of these opals, so I guess it makes sense that the color can be that electrifying blue. The opal is relatevely small, only 9mm x 7mm x 3mm, which I think is the only way you get this kind of opal (a nice pure color without the dendritic inclusions that so often accompany the peruvian opals). Even if it's small, the color is pretty cool looking!

Thanks Xrisus.

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1383190514|3547948 said:
Tariq wali|1383183295|3547886 said:
look like a fancy white dimond

...and do tell what it is?

just specific gravity available of this stone no more identification available, SG =5.3

not sure ,may be it is witherite may be not.

dscf3198.jpg

dscf3182.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
My "fun" 5.15ct ruby (residue with possible glass) is often mistaken for a rubellite tourmaline by people who know gemstones, until they loupe it or look at it sideways with light shining through it. It's a Viet Nam ruby so it has more pink and even though it was an inexpensive stone (sold with full disclosure) it doesn't have that cloudy opaque look that many treated rubies have.

_11469.jpg

viet_nam_0.jpg

_11471.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the sake of full disclosure, I have to say that mistaking rubellites for rubies (and vice versa) is something that I do all the time.

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
I know I will probably never own a paraiba tourmaline, but I have a small round cuprian from Litnon and also a pretty little oval blue zircon from Litnon which is my favorite stone that I own.
image_781.jpg

image_780.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iolitedreamer|1383353721|3548902 said:
I know I will probably never own a paraiba tourmaline, but I have a small round cuprian from Litnon and also a pretty little oval blue zircon from Litnon which is my favorite stone that I own.

This is great. Sometimes I think people should not spend the money on cuprians because there are so many alternatives to the vast majority of cuprians that are not the true neon, other worldly glowing stones. For the majority which are very pretty but not super saturated, and glowy, I would say zircon all the way! I love zircon, especially the often vivid blue, and can't help but feel that it is undervalued as a stone. Occasionally, if I sell a stone or an old piece of unworn jewelry, if I know the recipient is just starting out and new to the world of colored stones, I'll add a zircon in their package. I don't have many, but I LOVE the reaction when they open up the package and fall in love with the freebie! :lol: :lol: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
Pretzel, I bet it will be awesome :) Can't wait to see you post photos!
Minoubijoux, thank you! That is awesome that you do that for folks. I agree with your thoughts on zircon. I want to get some more eventually.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results