shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your gemstones that look like other gemstones...

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1383427039|3549201 said:
I love zircon, especially the often vivid blue, and can't help but feel that it is undervalued as a stone.

Minous, I could not agree more. I love zircon. I have a spectacular blue pear zircon that I just haven't found the right setting for, and saw a yellow zircon at Intergem once that could have been a diamond, it was so stunning.

I can only contribute my garnet to this particular thread. It's a yellow grossularite and pretty brilliant, doesn't look tannish as it does in this photo. I have had 3 people gasp and go, "is that real?" To which I reply, "yes! A real garnet!" Lol.

g3_hand_sm.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jereni: that is a great example for sure. Grossular garnet is another one that is a great pretender, masquerading as a fancy intense yellow... :sun:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
No offense to the OP, but gems that look like other gems is a pet peeve of mine. Yes, I know it's stupid. :rolleyes:

I can't bear to own them. I don't want a purple sapphire that looks like an amethyst, or whatever other example you can think of.

This is why I have very few stones. 8)

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
To each their own. :)

I think it demonstrates the amazing diversity of nature, that two different gems can have such phenotypic similarities. A beautiful, poetic metaphor.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander,
Different stones for different folks. Perhaps the person like purple but prefers a hardier stone, so an amethyst isn't a good choice but a purple sapphire can be worn everyday. Just something along that line. ;))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Pretzel|1383540063|3549920 said:

I think it demonstrates the amazing diversity of nature, that two different gems can have such phenotypic similarities. A beautiful, poetic metaphor.

Oh, I agree, and I'm glad you didn't take offense. ;))

Chrono said:
iLander,
Different stones for different folks. Perhaps the person like purple but prefers a hardier stone, so an amethyst isn't a good choice but a purple sapphire can be worn everyday. Just something along that line. ;))

True, that is a good reason, Chrono.

But I think I'm weird. I don't like sapphires that tend toward citrines, or green stones that look like emeralds, etc. I really wish I didn't have this issue, I would have purchased a ruby colored spinel long ago.

This quirk of mine really limits my gem purchasing. Which I guess is a good thing. :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1383573213|3550047 said:
Pretzel|1383540063|3549920 said:

Oh, I agree, and I'm glad you didn't take offense. ;))

Chrono said:
iLander,

True, that is a good reason, Chrono.

But I think I'm weird. I don't like sapphires that tend toward citrines, or green stones that look like emeralds, etc. I really wish I didn't have this issue, I would have purchased a ruby colored spinel long ago.

This quirk of mine really limits my gem purchasing. Which I guess is a good thing. :bigsmile:

Not to threadjack, but I want to ask one follow up question, iLander. Do you know why it is that it bothers you? Its not a status thing, is it (that is, you don't want your green sapphire to be mistaken for a less valuable tourmaline or prasiolite or something)? Because you don't strike me as someone who cares too much about what other people think (in a good way, of course)...

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
Not to un-threadjack 8-) but my zircon, spinel and tanzanites have arrived! Won't see them until tomorrow evening though. Too excited to wait!

I also commissioned a ring from the person we are considering to set the spinel, just to get an idea of the workmanship. Gotta love when plans come together!

You may return to the scheduled thread-jacking! :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretzel|1383679354|3551007 said:
Not to un-threadjack 8-) but my zircon, spinel and tanzanites have arrived! Won't see them until tomorrow evening though. Too excited to wait!

I also commissioned a ring from the person we are considering to set the spinel, just to get an idea of the workmanship. Gotta love when plans come together!

You may return to the scheduled thread-jacking! :lol:

Oops, got a little carried away there, heh heh heh :oops:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was I thinking?!! :roll:

More importantly, we will try and wait patiently for pics of all your pretties.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Here is my other peruvian opal that can resemble a glowy tourmaline, sorry for the odd orientation, something happens when I upload it that flips it.

_11665.jpg

Pretzel

Rough_Rock
Hehe, I genuinely don't mind minousbijoux. Just happy to generate a conversation.

Xrisus- I am in love with these blue opals. Never liked silk or opaque stones before but I am officially converted!

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
What a cool thread! Great idea Pretzel!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results