shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me your color modifiers!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Often we seem to look for colored stones with little in the way of secondary modifiers of color. However, do any of y'all occasionally run into a stone where the modifier actually seemed to bring a special character to the gem? I received this spinel which had an orange modifier to it, which I don't typically care for, but it made this stone GLOW! I actually have a hard time getting a picture of it, but it looks almost like an ember from a fire. I know folks on here have some wonderful pieces, thus I was wondering if others have stones where extra character was brought by a dreaded modifier of color.

_17289.jpg

_17290.jpg

_17291.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus,
I love the saturation of your spinel. For me, sometimes I want or don't want certain modifiers but I almost always want the most intensely saturated stone. Yours just glows; it jumps out at me in the pictures so regardless of the modifier, it catches my eye in a positive way. I don't think modifiers make a stone glow but the intensity of saturation is doing this. I don't think modifiers is as dreaded as it sometimes seems like in CS.

Blue sapphire and spinel - I love a touch of violet. I think it helps bring out a slightly velvety feel.
Emerald, tsavorite and green grossular garnet - I only go for those with a blue modifier because I like that look.
Spessartite - I like a hint of red to the orange, which can give it a "hot burning look" if sufficiently saturated.
Ruby, red spinel, red and pink tourmaline - love a touch of purple. I think it deepens the hue and gives it a more regal feel.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I completely agree, and wish I could digitally capture what I see. I think the closest analogy I can make is what you state about spess; and I think that the orange combined with the saturation of the stone gives that "burning" glowy look you speak of-just in a different gem species. For comparison sake I took a picture of the stone with my most "Mahenge of Mahenge" stones, the smaller round (the oval is just another redder Mahenge I was too lazy to take out of the picture). The smaller pink round is intensly saturated more so than the orangy round (and even more than the picture) but the glow of the orangy stone sure holds it own. Funny enough, the orangy stone does not flouresce, unlike the other stone.

I agree about emeralds, NKOTB recently posted her emerald with a blue modifier that was just awesome...like most of her stuff! I also will happily clone your Luc Yen color change spinel!

_17341.jpg

_17342.jpg

_17343.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Xrisus - I have to admit that I looked at that spinel at least 50 times, I *almost* bought it so many times, lol!! When I saw your pics here I "recognized" it right away :) I couldn't decide if I would like the orange modifier or not IRL, so I never went for it. I think I would have though, because it really looks lovely. I'm happy that you got it! It really pops, and it's a great addition to your collection.

I would really like to see a thread that is specifically about mahenge spinels with comparison pics. (I just need to search as I'm sure there is at least one around here). There are so many shades of pink alone, not even factoring in the reds, and then you factor in the secondaries and you have this array of beautiful mahenges... I think that's why I keep buying them. There is so much variation in color among them and I'm just fascinated with it. I will admit that I bought yet another little one yesterday ;-).

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
:)
I recognize that one. I actually did purchase it and the seller sent it and one without the modifier to me so I could choose which look I prefer with paraiba melee for a project she is working on for me. For this project, I preferred no modifier so I returned this stone but it was amazingly glowy and fabulous! I'd love a pair of studs in that color. Would be gorgeous! Enjoy it!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
A Mahenge with paraiba melee would be mind blowing, please share pics when you have it finished!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Katharath-I completely agree with the fascinating variability between spinels, especially "mahenge" specimens. As Chrono was saying, the level of saturation combined with their hues can really lead to some great eye candy. Just for you-I revived the "Show me your Mahenges" thread with most of my mahenges in one pic...I hope we also get to see your latest addition!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
:) I hope so! She did a ring for herself with a mahenge with yellow diamonds. She sourced a very similar mahenge for me and I am having her make me the same ring but with paraiba melee for the surrounding petals. I can not wait to see it! Patience.....

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that Mahenge in her ring is spectacular...to get something similar-lucky you!!!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Xrisus|1398736245|3662340 said:
Katharath-I completely agree with the fascinating variability between spinels, especially "mahenge" specimens. As Chrono was saying, the level of saturation combined with their hues can really lead to some great eye candy. Just for you-I revived the "Show me your Mahenges" thread with most of my mahenges in one pic...I hope we also get to see your latest addition!

Thank you for finding that thread - that is definitely the one I remembered!! I'm going to take my time and look through it all again, but I peeked at your post and have to say again how much I like your collection. Mine is much smaller than yours, but we tend to collect somewhat similar mahenges, I think. I love all of yours!! I haven't yet got my new one as I just purchased yesterday, but I'll take pics when I get it. I should take pics of my entire little mahenge collection together - though a few are set, more aren't.

It's funny bc Yvonne is making me a three stone ring right now as well, with a pink center stone mahenge. The outer stones are merelani mints. The mints are @5 mm each with the center mahenge being @5.2 mm, tcw will be around 1.75ish. So not a huge ring, but I think it will be tastefully done. The setting/mount is finished now, but I'm waiting on the actual gem setting to be done. This project is taking a little while due to casting time, CAD stuff, and waiting on the setter to get back into town, but it is almost done...I really cannot wait! The gems are to be bezel set in rose gold. It should be done in about a week or so, I feel like it's been forever, lol!!

Sorry for the mini thread jack :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1398736406|3662345 said:
:) I hope so! She did a ring for herself with a mahenge with yellow diamonds. She sourced a very similar mahenge for me and I am having her make me the same ring but with paraiba melee for the surrounding petals. I can not wait to see it! Patience.....

Her ring is stunning, I've no doubt yours will be too!!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Katharath-

That is so funny because I considered buying that 5 mm pair of mints for a three stone with a mahenge center. It was very tempting because I think that color combo will be amazing. I even asked her about mint melee for my ring but she said the small pieces wouldn't give the pop I am looking for so we finally settled on paraiba. We'll see. I think both of us will soon be sporting gorgeous rings! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you all post updates on your rings. Mahenge spinel flanked by paraibas and mint garnets sound fantastic!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1398773465|3662546 said:
Katharath-

That is so funny because I considered buying that 5 mm pair of mints for a three stone with a mahenge center. It was very tempting because I think that color combo will be amazing. I even asked her about mint melee for my ring but she said the small pieces wouldn't give the pop I am looking for so we finally settled on paraiba. We'll see. I think both of us will soon be sporting gorgeous rings! :)

That setting with paraiba melee will look wonderful. I'm not at all surprised that we had the same thought. I was also entertaining doing a ring just like that but with mint melee. I ended up deciding I'd prefer a three stone, but I still might do a mint/mahenge sunflower pendant. I'll probably reverse it and do the mint in the center and mahenges for the melee though.

One little thing though - it may or may not have been the same pair of 5 mm rounds that you were considering - I bought my pair months ago the first morning that they were listed. Then she listed another 5 mm pair and a 5.4 mm pair, which are still available. That's why I'm writing this - just to clarify that there are still a couple of pairs there in case anyone wants one :). It's funny we had the same idea though.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1398736406|3662345 said:

Oooh, just the thought of playing in Paraiba melee has me drooling. It sounds gorgeous.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1398774355|3662556 said:
I hope you all post updates on your rings. Mahenge spinel flanked by paraibas and mint garnets sound fantastic!

This! Drooling lots!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this stone so much! I am looking for exactly that, a red or pink with an orange modifier. I can't even begin to tell you how many vendors I have contacted! I love it, it really does glow.

I am a huge fan of modifiers (just not brown/grey :razz:). Adds character and charm to the stone. Enjoy this guy - and please post pics of when it is set! And if you ever want to part with it, please do let me know!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like yellow to my orange spess....and I love the sugar inclusions in mine. When the sun hits it just right...

Purple modifier to a red spinel.

Gray to my blue/purple color shift spinel.

_17507.jpg

_17508.jpg

red7.jpg

_17509.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Katharath - I would love to see a group shot of your stones, especially your cushion one! I think that you actually got the best of the bunch from Yvonne as you were much more in the know of what she had before many if not all of us! Yours and purplesparklies rings sound like they will be eye-poppers, please do share pics of everything when y'all get them!

Freke - Your spess is like an orange fireball, and that spinel...WOW!

airdancer

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1398801083|3662940 said:
I like yellow to my orange spess....and I love the sugar inclusions in mine. When the sun hits it just right...

WOW WOW WOW I usually don't care for orange but this is making me rethink spess!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results