Rough_Rock
The colour is absolutely super!! Definately dreamy.... :love:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
yes you should buy it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gut reaction on just looking at the pictures was an unequivocal YES. It looks like the colour most Paraiba Tourmaline would like to achieve - lush :love:

However, it's tiny. It's not one I'd set - especially not bezel setting. If you want to set it then I'd sink it into a setting (not sure what it's called in the US but in the UK it's swiss setting however even with a hole at the back of the setting it will ultimately darken the stone somewhat). If you don't like that idea, prongs would be a much better bet than a bezel.

The colour is exceptional and honestly for a natural diamond is phenomenal. I've seen irradiated diamonds that have managed to achieve that colour but only once or twice as they are rare rare rare!

If you can live with it as a pretty stone to look at and don't have your heart fixed on having it set into a piece then pull the trigger!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
you could have your dentist bezel set it into one of your front teeth!

eta: Yo.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't stop looking at it, not a good sign.

Notice how the color is not that much weaker from the side.
That means the body color is similar to the face-up color.
This is not a diamond that had to depended on "clever cutting" for it's good color.
Or as Stefen Hofer would say the inherent color is near the apparent color.

That means good rough!

A good sign, which is another not a good sign.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I suppose you could justify it as an investment with the idea that as a group the collection is worth more than as individual stones.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamy color indeed!

Even more impressive knowing it's only 8 points! Thats quite some saturated rough.

ETA: LD, do you mean Gypsy set? Like this: ?
http://www.amulet.co.uk/gipsy/gipsy.htm

I've seen 5pt diamonds gypsy set before, I've never seen it done with a pear, although I don't know if there is technical reason or if it's just rare to see a 5pt pear.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
It sure is dreamy :devil:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MakingTheGrade|1295220978|2824495 said:
Dreamy color indeed!

Even more impressive knowing it's only 8 points! Thats quite some saturated rough.

ETA: LD, do you mean Gypsy set? Like this: ?
http://www.amulet.co.uk/gipsy/gipsy.htm

I've seen 5pt diamonds gypsy set before, I've never seen it done with a pear, although I don't know if there is technical reason or if it's just rare to see a 5pt pear.

Yes, gypsy setting with metal all around the girdle.

Yes, that was some saturated rough indeed.
The rough of my 12-point fancy deep pure blue was even more kick @ss to have reached pure deep blue an emerald cut, which does not pump up the color saturation like the pear cut does.

Any old 20 carat blue could do that.
But a 12-point? my my my. :lol:
There is just something special about a diamond that is very small but very powerful.

Picture 39.png

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
It is mesmerizing. Not sure what you could do with it, but it's just lovely.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gut reaction: gorgeous but awful tiny :(sad

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly,
People don't buy diamonds like that to set, but to collect, because it's a very rare color. It's so tiny that it might get lost in a setting.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
So lovely. The color has a tropical feel to it! I think it would be an excellent addition to your growing collection. I searched bezel pear band and I came up with this:

http://www.mdcdiamonds.com/WedAndetails.cfm?Stock=WB115&Cat=WDWR&Country=CA#
The pears are 7 pointers so I think it can be done.

I love davi el mejor's band. His diamond is bigger but I would love it for a smaller stone too.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/love-is-on-the-inside.150709/

Tiny surprise stones are burnished on the inside of bands all the time I don't know why they couldn't burnish a pear. I would love a wide band with several scattered burnished stones. I bet it would be stunning with FCDs! Like this but with different shapes:

Of course it is nice enough to have loose to admire as well.

You could always have it set and if you don't like it, have it removed. The negative is you then run the risk of having the diamond damaged. You would just have to weigh the risk vs benefit.

WB115.jpg

gold-commitment-bands.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pixies|1295224895|2824559 said:
So lovely. The color has a tropical feel to it! I think it would be an excellent addition to your growing collection. I searched bezel pear band and I came up with this:

http://www.mdcdiamonds.com/WedAndetails.cfm?Stock=WB115&Cat=WDWR&Country=CA#
The pears are 7 pointers so I think it can be done.

I love davi el mejor's band. His diamond is bigger but I would love it for a smaller stone too.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/love-is-on-the-inside.150709/

Tiny surprise stones are burnished on the inside of bands all the time I don't know why they couldn't burnish a pear. I would love a wide band with several scattered burnished stones. I bet it would be stunning with FCDs! Like this but with different shapes:

Of course it is nice enough to have loose to admire as well.

You could always have it set and if you don't like it have it removed. The negative is you then run the risk of having the diamond damaged. You would just have to weigh the risk vs benefit.

I have a burnished diamond band like that in platinum with white diamonds. One of the stones was chipped during the setting process. No big loss as it is a white diamond, but I would hate to see that happen to an FCD.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful but so tiny!

I would have to look at it under a microscope all day, so personally I wouldn't buy it.

Plus I'd probably drop and lose it in oh five seconds. :rolleyes:

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful color, but I agree it is really small. Depends on what you want to do with it.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at the last picture showing the depth of the stone. Something does not seem to add up. The stone looks much shallower than the dimensions listed. It is a very pleasant color though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colormyworld|1295232835|2824662 said:
Looking at the last picture showing the depth of the stone. Something does not seem to add up. The stone looks much shallower than the dimensions listed. It is a very pleasant color though.

Good catch of a typo.

The GIA report says the depth is 1.51 not 2.51 mm.
So the depth is 58.5%, not 97%.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not my $; of course, you should buy it!

MoZo

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
hahaha... when I saw this diamond when I was browsing the site, I immediately thought of you, Kens. My spidey sense told me you'd love this lil fella. Gut reaction -yes

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I think you should get it, it'll complement your existing collection. I was daydreaming about this one and thought of setting it in a mokume style ring. :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gut reaction? It’s gorgeous. That said, the picture of the FCD is greatly magnified that what you will see in person is a tiny speck of blue the size of a melee surprise diamond only. If anything, I think a bezel will be too large for the stone, covering too much of it. It may require a gypsy set to make it look larger but the setter had better be really skilled to not chip the tip of something so miniscule yet expensive.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the difference between gypsy set and bezel set?
I thought they were the same.

If not, can someone explain what exactly about the setting process of one is harder on the diamond than the other?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel settings are a little similar to Gypsy settings in that the gem is held within the rings. In gypsy settings the gem sits within a little hole at the top of the ring and the metal at the top is much heavier than the rings shank. In bezel settings the rim of the ring surrounds the gem from both the inner and outer peripheral lines and the back can be either open or closed. You can say that a gypsy or flush setting is a variation or subset of a bezel setting.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Ignoring price and size, the color is stunning...like legendary paraiba. If you can afford it and it makes your heart sing, you should buy it.

ETA- Is the depth really 97%? How is that even possible?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results