shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I buy this tiny but dreamy FCD?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
In a bezel a rim or lip or rigid encircling flap would be constructed atop the ring, either by the addition of a flat or half round strip or by forging material outward from where the stone will sit. after the stone is in place this will be constricted and burnished so it holds the stone from all around. It sits above the surface. a gypsy setting first has a blind hold drilled to seat the stone. then material from the top of the ring adjacent to the stone is either scooped up from the outside with a V shaped engraving type gouge toward the stone, and bent over to grab the stone forming a micro prong, and / or material surrounding the stone is simply burnished over the rim of the stone causing a slight depression in the metal immediately around the stone (displaced material has to come from somewhere).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1295284085|2824976 said:
Ignoring price and size, the color is stunning...like legendary paraiba. If you can afford it and it makes your heart sing, you should buy it.

ETA- Is the depth really 97%? How is that even possible?

It's a typo.
The GIA report says the depth is 1.51 not 2.51 mm.
So the depth is 58.5%, not 97%.

Sounds like gypsy setting puts more stress on the stone than bezel.
(Of course the skill of the setter is important in both.)

stci

Ideal_Rock
You find the color is similar? Not me! The diamond is TO DIE FOR! This blue is adorable and really rare!

I'm just thinking of the price. It's a lot of money for a "petite" diamond like that! But if I had this money, I think I would buy it just to look at it when feeling blues! Soooo beautiful!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I love the color, it has a certain magic to it . . .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stci|1295287549|2825047 said:
You find the color is similar? Not me! The diamond is TO DIE FOR! This blue is adorable and really rare!

Well not identical, but I can see the similarity people brought up.
I had never heard of paraibas.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soberguy|1295240626|2824725 said:
It isn't terribly expensive.

How expensive is it?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kenny,

Of course the color is lovely. However, I'm with the gal who said you will have to look at it under magnification. It's a speck. Buy a paraiba instead. They are beautiful as well. and a good investment. JMO. Its fun to look at your collection.

Annette

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny - this is what I meant by Paraiba Tourmaline coloured - you linked to a blue/green one ............. now step away from the computer and forget everything about Paraiba Tourmalines! We need you focused! There's a FCD with your name on it waiting for a home! :bigsmile:

p.s. You'll find some yummy PT's on this forum if you have a look! ;))

p.p.s the PT market has dried up significantly over the years and finding one like in the picture below will take time and lots of dollars I'm afraid. They used to be reasonably easy to source - now it's a case of finding a needle in a very large haystack.

Kennys FCD & Paraiba comparison.png

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
kenny, here is a close up of a gypsy setting that is pretty detailed for such a small thing. at its widest this ring is 7mm

gypsy.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

gyp.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The color is spectacular! If it doesn't matter that it is so weensy, I would get it for the color. That and your green OEC can battle it out for my favorite.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
I'm of the opinion that you are buying because it is an amazing product of the earth that is so rare and beautiful. It is small, but that is why it's under 3k. I mean, to get this sorta color and cut at non-miniscule is gonna be Rockafeller territory. I feel like you have this amazing collection of small wonders. And they are breathtaking. This is a color and shape that would fit in and complement perfectly.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
That FCD is now on reserve! I hope it is with Kenny!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1295304614|2825287 said:
kenny, here is a close up of a gypsy setting that is pretty detailed for such a small thing. at its widest this ring is 7mm
VL,
That a very unusual setting. Although it is set into the metal, it has multiple tiny prongs holding it in. I thought a gypsy setting will have a lip of metal going around the girdle of the stone?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think gypsy setting is where the stone is set into the band itself (regardless of being bezel or prong set) rather than having a separate head made.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With Gypsy or Swiss setting as it's known in the UK, you don't see any metal holding the stone. No prongs, no bezel. I'm not sure how it's anchored to the setting but I'm sure Chrono is correct that somehow the girdle is gripped. I do know that some rings are actually made around the stone so they are cast into place together. I have no idea how tough that is on a gemstone and wouldn't hazard a guess - hopefully a jeweller will pop along and help out!

Vapid, the ring that you've posted a photo of is absolutely 100% typical of a Victorian trilogy ring. I have 2 that have been passed down to me by my grandparents (one was my grandmother's engagement ring). There are tiny prongs holding the stones so they're not Gypsy/Swiss set.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, great link.
Thanks.

That process is only for round stones.
I wonder how they make a perfectly-fitting cut out for other shapes.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I do believe this is a gypsy setting, albeit a rather stylized and fancy one.

Here is the listing:

http://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/12669-edwardian-diamond-sapphire-ring

of course just because it says it don't make it so. I have seen other rings with similar settings also referred to as gypsy settings. That too dont necessarily make it so. There may be variation from one goldsmith to the next, as there may be with anything. based on what I glean from my smithy books this is a hybrid of gypsy and pave setting technique. I dont care what we call it, only meant it as a suggestion for how to set a tiny stone and not be covering up much of it.

set.jpg

sett.jpg

setti.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
What a great color on that pear and the price is great too!

I am sure any good jeweler could gypsy set that pear, I had kite shaped side stones that were gypsy set and they turned out beautifully-so I am sure a pear shaped stone would look nice gypsy set also!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OK I am going to be the lone voice of dissent here-you already have a bluish-greenish pear? this one is dreamy though :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results