shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I be worried?

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I want to preface this by saying I'm NOT accusing them of anything, I know they're a great vendor! In fact I hesitate to write this because I don't want to tarnish their reputation at all. I'm just looking for some reassurance that this is normal/what we should expect. Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way, here's my question with some background first.

My husband sent off two pairs of gems to DanielM to make two pairs of 14k gold earrings, which they received on Monday. He also paid the 50% deposit that day, within 2 hours of it being listed. He'd been talking back and forth with them on the design fairly consistently for a few days to get the project set up and during that time (before the deposit was paid) they always responded within a day, day and a half at most.

So here's where the worry comes in. He paid on Sunday the 10th. On Tuesday morning he emailed to answer a question they'd had (approx value of the stones) and ask approx when the earrings would be ready because they're for my birthday. He also said he knew they wouldn't be ready in time (it's this Sunday, eek I'm getting older!!!) but he wanted to at least let me know about when they'd come.

And that's it. Tuesday's message was never responded to. He touched base with them again yesterday morning to make sure that everything was okay and that wasn't responded to either. :confused:

My question I guess is whether or not that's normal for them. I guess it's just concerning (and a little disappointing, if I'm honest) because up until the deposit was paid, they were very good about responding to him. I'm hoping they're just super busy and/or this is normal protocol for them and we just need to be patient. There's just something uncomfortable about sending off gems that at least to me are significant (they confirmed that they got them) and paying 50% for the job then not hearing back from them. It's hard because while it's only been 5 days, we have no way of knowing how much longer we'll be waiting for a response and obviously we can't just go ask in person or even over the phone.

Sigh, it's probably just me being impatient and pregnancy hormones aren't helping! :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say give it a little time or email again. Something unexpected could have cropped up, hence they are unable to get to your email.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1363366444|3405627 said:
I'd say give it a little time or email again. Something unexpected could have cropped up, hence they are unable to get to your email.

Thank you for chiming in! I do hope everything is okay with them personally! I'll just wait, I don't want to bug them a 3rd time. :))

emmmme

Shiny_Rock
Like Chrono said, I'd recommend sending a follow up email. This has happened to me with two separate vendors on Etsy -- lots of quick back and forth when I had a million annoying questions, and then when I requested a special listing (ie, I'm ready to buy), I didn't hear back until I followed up. I waited about five days before sending another message and in both cases it was responded to promptly. I just sent the same message prefaced with, "In case you didn't receive this, here's my message from Tuesday."

Not sure what the cause for the delays were, but I imagine that it's quite easy for messages to get accidentally overlooked when people are getting lots of email (as I imagine DanielM is).

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the reassurance! I'm so happy to have PS when I get a little sideways over nothing! :wacko:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno... I usually never talk to them once I pay my deposit/send my stones until they message me to let me know the item is finished! However I've done two custom rings with them, one a year ago and one just this holiday season, and they were great both times. The first time it was nearly a month and a half from deposit to having them in my hot little hands, and the second time it was nearly two months (but I DID specify then that I was fine waiting until after the holidays). I'd message them again with a reminder about your question.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes they get back logged with emails. It's fairly normal to get responses quickly and then nothing for a few days.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Great to know, thank you again!

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Yep, it's normal to go a few days without hearing anything from them. Which is not to say that I've ever been unhappy with their communication - the opposite in fact. They're just a busy company! I'd wait another day or two and re-send an email if you still haven't heard anything.

I've worked with them on 3 projects and have always been pleased, so I think you're in good hands.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both Daniel and Caren work full time jobs and they have two little ones to take care of, so their etsy shop is actually a night/weekend project.

I'm waiting for them on my tsavorite project as well. I actually shot them a message (about something else entirely) about 2 minutes before I saw this thread. They received my stones on February 23, so I'm hoping for a week or so from now.

They have only closed their shop twice (that I know of!) and that's when their two kiddos were born. In my experience, they can typically take 2-3 days to respond to messages. There have been a couple times where it has taken longer, and that has been because there was a family emergency.

Also, they typically shoot for a month finish time from receiving stones because they are so busy, unless you give them a deadline that you need it by. They also work on a first come, first serve basis. Again, unless there is a deadline.

So no, I wouldn't be worried if he only paid March 10. And I wouldn't expect to hear from them for at least another week.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I sent an email two days ago and I haven't heard either. I was starting to get worried but now I have seen this thread I won't follow up for another couple of days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results