shape
carat
color
clarity

Sharing Pics of my Purple/Pink Garnet

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased this garnet from Earth's Treasury in December. I love moving my hand around to see how it changes as the light hits it differently...sometimes pink, sometimes purple, sometimes purple with pink flashes. While it's not large and fancy, I have heard its not a commonly found garnet. So it seemed like something to share from someone who mostly posts a lot of dumb questions :) Regardless, I do love this stone.

pastelpyroperesized3.jpg
pastelpyroperesized2.jpg
pastelpyroperesized1.jpg
mixedgarnet.jpg
http://vimeo.com/114728829

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1422818324|3825590 said:
It sure looks beautiful!

Thanks Minoux, its one of those stones who's vibrant color can't be picked up by a cell phone pic (and I tried many times). It's definitely a mix of hot pink and bold purple.

Why I posted the vendor pic and link to his video at the end. In this case, the vendor pics do capture the true color much better. Here are a couple more.

garnet_4.jpg
garnet_pinkside.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that's a fine collection of colors in one stone! I love that setting too. Who made it for you?
Great find and thanks for sharing

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like it came out of a jar of jam. I love the different coloured flashes it gives off.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acimom - I wish I could take credit for the setting but friends picked it out at the Intergem show at Chantilly. It was bought from a vendor that sold preloved jewelry (had a green tourmaline in it originally).

LoversKites - yes, that is why I had to have this stone...I lean towards bolder colors and this was right up my alley :)

Thanks for the compliments...its one of those rings that I love the more I wear.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
It's very beautiful, I love the different colours. Congratulations!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone and ring, thanks for sharing.

DK :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it looks lovely on you....I love it with the wedding band as well. :appl:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone...it's nice to share something in return for all the eye candy I've seen here.

And Marlow, laughing at your comment. It was seeing pictures of some of YOUR pink stones that got me started and with the help of an enabling friend, I have amassed a few too many pink stones. With that I almost passed on this because when Jeff Hapeman of Earth's Treasury first showed it to me, I said "No More Pink Stones!" :hand: and he replied "But it's Purple!"....so I was able to justify one more :angel:

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
I have always though I don't care about purple....how wrong was I. It's delicious transformer :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is lovely! What beautiful colors!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know the RI and the orign of that stone??

Is it just a fine rhodolite or a "CCG" with a high almandine content??

Dr. Schmetzer wrote a fantastic article about CCGs from Madagascar. He divided the CCGs in seven groups ( Vanadium/Chrome content and ratio and amount of spessartine, pyrope and almandine).

Some CCG are pyrope-rich ( often a lighter color) - most are spessartin-rich. They show CC from green to red.

But there are - and I love them - almandine rich CCG with a change from more bluish-purple to red-purple.

I am not sure but yours look like one of these stones... :think:

Like this one...

http://www.ajsgem.com/color-change-garnet/color-change-garnet-2.75-carats.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both pretty and fun at the same time.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad everyone is enjoying it as much as I do. Thank you.

Marlow -

Here are the details that Jeff provided me:

This garnet comes from a small lot of old rough that came out Tanzania. It has been identified as a form of pyrope garnet called pastel pyrope. It has excellent brilliance and dispersion and shows a gorgeous color shift from hot pink to purple, depending on the lighting.

I guess pastel has to do with chemical makeup not the color (because this is NOT pastel in tone). I seem to recall reading that many garnets are pastel pyropes but misclassified as other types based on color?

I love the CCG you posted...but fortunately, its way outside my budget...ugh. need to stop looking, lol.
(I did purchase the one you recommended from MC but haven't had a chance to really look at it yet since I've been out of town)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ilovegemstones|1422890286|3825977 said:
It is a really pretty stone and I love how you had it set.

Thank you...I believe you sold me the beautiful baby alex ring I have? If so, you are partially responsible for my my fascination with color change stones :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
lilmosun|1422887908|3825948 said:
Glad everyone is enjoying it as much as I do. Thank you.

Marlow -

Here are the details that Jeff provided me:

This garnet comes from a small lot of old rough that came out Tanzania. It has been identified as a form of pyrope garnet called pastel pyrope. It has excellent brilliance and dispersion and shows a gorgeous color shift from hot pink to purple, depending on the lighting.

I guess pastel has to do with chemical makeup not the color (because this is NOT pastel in tone). I seem to recall reading that many garnets are pastel pyropes but misclassified as other types based on color?

I love the CCG you posted...but fortunately, its way outside my budget...ugh. need to stop looking, lol.
(I did purchase the one you recommended from MC but haven't had a chance to really look at it yet since I've been out of town)

http://gemstonemagnetism.com/garnets_pg_2.html

Look at the CC Pyrope on the left ( a pear ) - pastel pyrope has a delicate light color - yours is a CCG imo.

At the moment I hunt a Dora Maira pyrope from Italy. They look like pale purplish spinel. There are light colored Malaya too.

My CCG has an RI around 1,75 - rich in pyrope, a bit Vanadium and Chrome and the spessartine amount is a bit lower - almandine is a bit higher. I will post pics and write a short topic about them.

They deserve our attention - the color is much better than many rhodolite and both colors are really beautyful. And rare!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see your CCG and learn more...or maybe I shouldn't look haha. I need to stop :wall: (and I don't even want to think about stones from Italy - my favorite country :hand: )

I also have a tiny blue-green color change garnet from Kenya that I purchased from Earth's Treasury. It's deep blue with red flashes that changes to a forest green in incandescent light. Like this one, gorgeous color change (which is why I bought it although I have been told it was very rare as the mine produced very little of this type)

Someone remind me that I said I need to stop :angel:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone is a pastel pyrop if RI is lower then 1,745 - they offer a second one - maybe the vendor can check the RI - then we know whether pastel pyrope with a color shift or CCpyrope ( pyrope is higher - they are always a mix of pyrope, spessartine and a bit almandine, uwarovite and goldmanite ).

blue to green - sounds good!!! Pictures??

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
laughing....from the day I joined, I have to confess that I love your enthusiasm (and knowledge)...contagious! Did you know that I actually went out and bought a chelsea filter after you suggested it on my first post? I never could figure out how to use it :wall:

I will try to get some pictures of the blue-green ccg later in the week...but first, you promised to post your ccg :naughty:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
First - you have to wait till saturday - no daylight during the week.

Chelsea filter:

Usually you put the stone on a white underground and use a stronger light source and then look through the filter.

The filter is only an additional tool.

Enthusiasm: I am interested in unusual gems and yours is unusual ( and quite expensive compared to the round they offer - 1000 pct)

Maybe sometimes to much and close being a smart a** - so forgive me.
I think internet buissness has a strong influence on the market and only educated customers can stop ridiculous prices for average gems.
Otherwise we all have to pay much more. If vendor notice that customer ask for an RI or a window or treatment they have to be careful.
Most of the trade is in Asia and they develope many kinds of treatment nobody needs and nobody wants. But if they can't sell it maybe they stop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results