shape
carat
color
clarity

setting woes -- refund or let them fix it?

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
I've been debating about whether to post about this or not, because I'm still upset and not feeling very logical right now. But I could use some advice before it's too late for me to change my mind. A few months ago, after looking at dozens of sapphires, I bought a precision-cut sapphire, one of Roger Dery's. I bought it because the color was really unusual, it was untreated, and the price was great. I like wide bands, so I asked my jeweler if they could set the sapphire in a plain 4-prong rose gold basket-style head on a wide, brushed silver band. No problem. I asked to have the head integrated into the band. No problem. They said we'll have it done before Christmas. I said don't rush because I know how busy jewelry stores are this time of year, and I didn't want them rushing this job through.

I picked up the ring today. The design was exactly as I envisioned it. The stone looks great in rose gold. I drove to the bank, and was standing in line, and noticed that the profile of the ring looked odd. The stone looked tipped in the setting. I looked at the profile from all sides, and on one side it looked like the prongs were much shorter than the other side. I couldn't believe I didn't notice this in the store, and at first I thought it was an optical illusion. So I asked the two women next to me in line if they thought my ring was crooked. They both said yes, and one of them pointed out the exact same thing that I was seeing. She said, if you just bought this, you should return it!

At this point, I decided to go back to my car and take a closer look. Not only were the prongs on one side of the ring shorter, one corner of the stone -- it's a cushion -- looked like it was pushed down so it was closer to the band. The band has a hole drilled in it so the bottom of the stone is visible. I looked to see if the stone was centered on the bottom. Nope. The stone was listing in the setting like the Titanic before she sunk. But only from the side. The ring looks perfect from the top.

At first I thought that the stone must be loose and it slid out of place. I shook it. No rattling. The prongs are clearly shorter on one side and the stone was set at an angle. I drove back to the store, and met with my sales rep. I asked for my money back. They want to fix it for me. I insisted that they not mess around with the head to fix it because I could see that at least one prong was significantly shorter than the others and that simply fixing the head would not work. They kept apologizing, and telling me that they'd make it right. I said how can I trust your bench to fix this when you let something like this get past final inspection? My sales rep had no explanation for how the stone could even end up set the way it was, without it willfully being set that way. He just kept saying we can fix it and I kept saying I think trying to fix it will make it worse. Finally, the owner came in and asked to see it. He took the ring back to the bench, and came back and said that he thought that the problem was that the standard head from whatever jewelry manufacturer they use was the wrong size for the stone. It was a princess head that they had tried to modify. The owner offered to redo the head in-house, custom, CAD, to fit my stone. By this time, I'd been at the store for almost an hour, and I said okay.

But now I'm having second thoughts. And I'm really sorry that I didn't ask them to remove the sapphire in front of me to make sure it wasn't damaged when it was set...crooked. What would you do? Would you give them a chance to fix it? Or just start over with a new jeweler? This jeweler has done lots of work for my friends, and the work I've seen in their showroom is of high quality. They work in platinum, gold, and silver. But I have to say, the way they botched this really simple design shocked me.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a heart breaker, blue seeker! I'm sorry you are experiencing a let down from a much anticipated project. If it were me, I know I'd react to the extreme (I'm kinda like that - 0 - 100 in one second flat!) but I know my DH would advise me to let the original jeweller have a chance to correct the problem first. Sounds like he wants to - he noticed it like you did, so he's on board with wanting to make you a happy customer.

You also acknowledged both to yourself and to him that it's Christmas gift giving season, (Yeah, just stating the obvious...) but with that in mind, every jewelry store is probably rushing a few things and there will be errors made. Let him try to make it better, give him some time and then after a refit, if not happy, talk to him how he can fix it again.

I think it was Ame who had a real schmozzle with her ring (memory is not my strong suit - apologies if I've got that wrong...) so perhaps she'll be able to chime in with a recommendation for you.

Good luck - hope it ends positively - and it does sound (so far) like he wants to make you a happy customer.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Let them try to fix it, and if they mess it up again, get your refund.

Loupe the stone before you leave the store and have them watch you do it.

It will probably be fine, sapphires are pretty hard.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Enerchi and ilander. You made me feel better about leaving it there for them to fix. I just spoke to my husband about it and he said the same thing - let them try to fix it once and if they mess it up again, get a refund. To be honest, like ame, I've never been very lucky with custom work. And the simple, modern designs I prefer show every little mistake. And, like you, Enerchi, I go from 0 to 100 -- so a reality check is in order. And, yes, I was so happy when they called to tell me it was ready, and so disappointed that I couldn't take it home and wear it.

I did ask them to please wait until after the New Year to work on this, to avoid the holiday rush. And ilander, I will be louping and measuring, from all angles -- before I leave the store.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Blue-Seeker|1324079171|3083122 said:
Finally, the owner came in and asked to see it. He took the ring back to the bench, and came back and said that he thought that the problem was that the standard head from whatever jewelry manufacturer they use was the wrong size for the stone. It was a princess head that they had tried to modify. The owner offered to redo the head in-house, custom, CAD, to fit my stone. By this time, I'd been at the store for almost an hour, and I said okay.

I think that this was a good decision on your part. Having the head made in this way will give you a much better head and fit than the original and the "no cost" part is a bargain for which your only payment is a bit of time and a small amount of aggravation...a super deal as the end result.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Michael_E|1324082209|3083158 said:
Blue-Seeker|1324079171|3083122 said:
Finally, the owner came in and asked to see it. He took the ring back to the bench, and came back and said that he thought that the problem was that the standard head from whatever jewelry manufacturer they use was the wrong size for the stone. It was a princess head that they had tried to modify. The owner offered to redo the head in-house, custom, CAD, to fit my stone. By this time, I'd been at the store for almost an hour, and I said okay.

I think that this was a good decision on your part. Having the head made in this way will give you a much better head and fit than the original and the "no cost" part is a bargain for which your only payment is a bit of time and a small amount of aggravation...a super deal as the end result.

Thanks, Michael. This is good to know. It does seem pretty generous of the store to offer to redo the head as a custom CAD instead of just using another pre-fab head. Okay. Deep breath. I'm disappointed, and still a bit nervous, but I do agree the end result will be worth the wait.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you are feeling better about a hopeful outcome and know you have our support! Please keep us updated!

Something in their DH makeup that has that "give them a chance" attitude! I guess for you and I - that's a good thing so we don't go off the handle at every obstacle. :devil:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Aww, what an unhappy thing, Blue-Seeker. So sorry you're going through it. I would have done as you did, and felt the same doubts afterward. But since you know their work is generally very good, it should work out really well -- it's bound to get the owner's special attention through the process & you'll end up with a custom-made head to boot. Sapphires are less prone to injury than others you could've used but checking it is very smart.

Will look forward to pics when you have it on your finger again & are a happy camper!

--- Laurie

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very interesting. This reminds me of TravelingGal's pad sapphire ring, set in a custom Leon Mege. It was set crooked (I believe one prong was shorter than the others) after closer inspection by TGal. She figured out that it was set crooked because the stone was not perfectly cut, and to make the ring look perfect from the top view, he had to make the prongs different lengths.

Close to the bottom: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/sh...ard-wise-setting-by-leon-mege-t127094-30.html

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much, everyone, for your support. I really appreciate it!

Enerchi -- I agree -- it is something in the DH genetic code. DH's take is that now that the owner is handling it, it will get done right. I have to say I was impressed by how quickly the owner dealt with this issue. All my sales rep could say was that he had no idea why he didn't notice it before he packaged the ring up for me. My question is, why didn't the bench person notice? I do think I am going to request a different bench person for the repairs. This store has three benchmen; one's been there for 30 years. That's not who did the work on my ring. I know, because I met with the person who set my stone the day I decided on a rose gold head. She's the one who measured the stone for the head, too.

JewelFreak, thank you for your reassurance -- you are right, sapphires are hard and this stone is well-cut, so no girdle issues or anything like that. You are no doubt right about the owner overseeing the remake of the ring. I'm sure he will inspect it himself before it goes out the door -- and give it a more careful inspection than my sales rep did :rolleyes: My husband did say that I should only deal with the owner from this point on. The ring in your avatar is your new Roger Dery spinel, right? Goodness, that is simply a luscious blue. The faceting looks similar to the facet pattern on my sapphire.

FrekeChild, I just read that thread from start to finish. Thank you for the link. Gorgeous ring in that thread, by the way. The profile of her ring looks very similar to what I saw yesterday. One side of the ring was lower, and on that lower side, one prong was significantly shorter than the other three. Interesting thing -- when I was sitting in my car examining my ring, it did occur to me that they had set my stone that way to accommodate the stone's shape. So I turned the ring over to look at the culet. When I saw that the culet was off-center, too, I knew that the stone was tilted in the setting. That's when I thought the stone may have "slid" out of place. And -- please correct me if this is a wrong assumption -- isn't one of the advantages of a precision-cut stone that the stone is symmetrical; culet centered under the table, girdle even, etc.?

After mulling this over for a day, what continues to bug me is that the setter did not notice this, or did notice it and didn't care, or set it that way on purpose and didn't offer an explanation for why it was done that way until the owner asked her about it after I had complained. Her explanation to him was that the head was the wrong size for the stone. Sounds like she tried to fudge it and it didn't work. So, in that case, isn't that when you pick up the phone and call the customer: "Hello, we tried a standard stock setting and it won't work with your stone. What do you want us to do?"

Yes, I'm still upset about this one day later. But people make mistakes. And I told my husband I will give them a chance to fix it. Even so, I do think I will request a different bench person.

Here's a photo of the sapphire in my hand.
Okay, time to go decorate the tree! Thank you again for your replies, everyone!

CIMG2745.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow - beautiful stone! I can't wait to see the corrected ring and have you dazzle us with the new ring!! It will be awesome - and it WILL be right - not to worry!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, did not realize that it was precision cut! Not applicable then. Sorry.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about the hassle. Beautiful stone! Hope it all works out well, and that you post lots of pictures of your new ring! :)

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Enerchi and NKOTB, for the compliments. My jeweler was surprised that I chose this sapphire because it's not blue, it's only "sort of" eye clean, and it didn't work with my tsavorites. But I just fell in love with it. It is a mysterious stone with a dozen different personalities. Outdoors it is violet-blue, and indoors it is purple, with red flashes. The stone has copper in it, along the outer edges, and this gives the edges of the stone a gingery tint in certain lights. It reminds me of the color of the sky, sea, and mountains in Scotland, a place that my husband and I loved when we were lucky enough to visit many years ago.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1324171883|3083745 said:
Ah, did not realize that it was precision cut! Not applicable then. Sorry.

No apologies necessary. I found that thread very helpful, and there's no doubt in my mind now that the way my stone was set is wrong. I think that thread would be a very useful read for any owners of native-cut stones. Traveling Gal's sapphire was set with great skill. It's a beautiful ring.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
That's a bummer. I get the disappointment part. I think giving them an opportunity fix it is a good idea. I had a halo where the diamond was too high, had my freak out and then calmed down b/c I knew the owner was committed to making sure it was done right. If anything, I knew that when I got it back, that ring had been meticulously inspected. You never know the circumstances and, like you said, people do make mistakes. Its what the jeweler does about it that makes or breaks repeat business.
I am sending good vibes your way that the ring comes back to you absolutely perfect!!! :))
Custom design is such an emotional process sometimes, hang in there.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to read about your setting troubles but you've chosen a resolution that I would personally act on myself. I prefer to give the vendor a second chance to correct their error, then move on from there depending upon the end result.

Blue-Seeker

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much, vinjewels, Chrono, and pregcurious. It's reassuring to know that all of you would choose to give the jeweler a chance to fix it. I'm still nervous about this project, but it really helps to know that you'd all make the same choice. One advantage to working with a local jeweler is that I don't have to deal with shipping the piece back and forth for repairs. Just trying to look at the bright side :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results