shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting my peridot

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I purchased a beautiful lime green peridot and wanted to set it into a vintage style setting custom made by David Klass. Here are two pictures I really like...which one would you do? I prefer the yellowy green to the favoured grass green, but don't want it to look any yellower. It's 2.61 ct and 8.3 x 6.9 mm, finger size 4.5.

First setting idea...would be modified so side stones are smaller.
image_1933.jpg

Second option, would be rose gold shank with white gold baskets. Side stones would be much smaller.
image_1934.jpg

My peridot
image_1935.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Oh fantastic! I love that peridot, I think it's the one I was trying to get my boss to buy for his wife (apparently she's been wanting one forever, he's griped to us about it, so I offered to help, but he hasn't bitten on any of the ones I've sent to him). Oh well, his loss!

As for the rings I like the first one better than the second, I like the overall more delicate look that it has.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first setting is very pretty, but it is an antique style, and your stone looks to be a more modern cut, so I'm not sure if they'll clash. I could be nitpicking. I would just be careful if you're using platinum because peridot is a softer gem and a softer metal like 18K gold, would be more appropriate. Good luck.

Maybe if someone could photoshop your stone in that setting, it would help more with your decision, but I think it's much nicer than the second setting.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
I too like the first setting. That's a good point TL. I like the bezel with prongs look the best so maybe I'll modify the shank to make it more modern.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peridot can be chippy, so I would make sure to protect the corners (shoulders) instead of leaving them exposed.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too like the first one but your stone I think would look better set east/west and would have the setting adjusted for that.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
movie zombie|1403796337|3701477 said:
I too like the first one but your stone I think would look better set east/west and would have the setting adjusted for that.

I hadn't even thought of that! I love that idea thanks!! It will give better coverage and it's a RHR so don't want it to look engagement like.
I think in this setting though I may keep it north south as it seems to suit it more.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Well I love it!! The size makes it perfect for the first vintagey setting and there's less yellow than expected. It has some lilypad inclusions which are charming and surprisingly I like inclusions more than my super clear blue topaz...makes it feel more real somehow! I'll be setting it in white gold so the green colour stays true.

image_1955.jpgimage_1956.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a pretty stone! Jerry's brilliant rectangles are always so well-cut, and the color of your peridot really is beautiful. It looks like it will have such a present on your hand though that I would do something very, very simple. I would make it a solitaire, but I'm sure that stone will be the star of the show in any setting.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
endless_summer|1404066290|3703301 said:
Such a pretty stone! Jerry's brilliant rectangles are always so well-cut, and the color of your peridot really is beautiful. It looks like it will have such a present on your hand though that I would do something very, very simple. I would make it a solitaire, but I'm sure that stone will be the star of the show in any setting.

I was actually hoping for opinions on that. I could set it in a modified lotus setting...the head would be like this with corner prongs...

image_1957.jpg

But with the lotus shank...

image_1958.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yorkgirl|1404075852|3703390 said:
endless_summer|1404066290|3703301 said:

I was actually hoping for opinions on that. I could set it in a modified lotus setting...the head would be like this with corner prongs...

image_1957.jpg

But with the lotus shank...

image_1958.jpg

How about solitaire with step cut or baguette sides?

Also I noticed Sally has a new setting for square stones: https://www.etsy.com/listing/194581549/jacinth-golden-orange-brown-natural?ref=shop_home_active_4

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Just an update that Sally is working on this gorgeous setting for me, with a rope shank and corner tab prongs in 14k yellow gold. I decided I didn't want diamonds so my platinum diamond wedding band and ering stand out more, and my right hand CS rings are a beautiful accent rather than looking like an alternate ering. I also tend to wear non white metals on my right hand just for something different.

I'm so excited!!

image_1960.jpg

image_1961.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How deep is your peridot (in mm)? Based on the sketch, it looks like the stone will be set very high in the setting.

ETA
The peridot is close to 7 mm in depth. With the added donut (base) and all, I think the final height could be as high as 10 mm. If the top heaviness bothers you, I would get in touch with Sally for further information.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1404840235|3709047 said:
How deep is your peridot (in mm)? Based on the sketch, it looks like the stone will be set very high in the setting.

ETA
The peridot is close to 7 mm in depth. With the added donut (base) and all, I think the final height could be as high as 10 mm. If the top heaviness bothers you, I would get in touch with Sally for further information.

Chrono Jerry didn't measure the depth and I'm only ordering the setting...how can I measure without calipers? I like the look but don't want it to spin.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, in my haste, I thought the shorter side of the stone is the depth. :oops: In any case, the setting design looks to be on the high side. Just thought I'd mention that in case you were looking for something lower set and worry about banging the peridot around.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yowza! What a beautiful stone! Greens are a pain to photograph, but I'd be thrilled if that color showed up in my mailbox!

ETA: I'd take it to a jewelry store and have them measure it with their calipers.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
It's 6 mm according to my crude measurements. I'll ask Sally and take it to a jeweler with calipers. Thanks!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree, Sally tends to set stones a tad high unless you ask.

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Preg and Freke! I took the photos on a bright day. Some lights it looks more of a true bright green and others, a lemony green.

And thanks everyone, I've asked Sally to set as low as possible.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Much better in real life! The setting looks as though it will suit the peridot beautifully if the height is okay. If you think it might spin, what about a euro shank (squared at bottom)?

yorkgirl

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to share this gorgeous little beauty. And can I say I am beyond thrilled. Sally is a genius and the ring is stunning, sturdy and delicate.

image_2154.jpgimage_2155.jpgimage_2156.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's just ideal!! Couldn't be better. Your peridot is a real stunner & the setting is perfect for showing it off.

--- Laurie

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Ohhh wow another beauty! Someone was happy to see the postman today, eh? I love the color of that peridot and of course the Jerry cut - my fiance is jealous as we've been hunting for a nicely colored peridot for awhile now.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sally is fantastic! Wonderful setting to showcase that Peridot. Congrats on a fabulous combo!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results