shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for spess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I''m looking for a setting for my spess, photos in this thread. I would like to set it in something before LOGR prices increase (again.)
7.gif
I suppose I should have bought something before, but I didn''t have anything to set back then.

I''m not stuck on LOGR; is that still the best value-quality ratio or is there another ebay or other seller that is affordable and good? I''ve looked at Yigal and AmericanSet, neither of those really have settings that stir me, plus I don''t want to have to deal with buying a ring with a stone that I don''t have much use for. I''m looking for something in WG that comes set with melee already, plus it''s not quite exactly a 6x8 otherwise I''d look at Stuller and other standardized mounts. I''m thinking prongs not bezels otherwise I like the simplicity of this bezel.

For people who have worked with LOGR, does it make sense to adapt a larger setting down and pay $50 for the resized head given the cost? Or is it better to pay $50 to increase the size of a mount upwards?

Also, are LOGR settings comfortable? I have a problem wearing very thick shanks. For example this LOGR setting would be too thick, and I wouldn''t be able to wear it comfortably, which means I wouldn''t wear it (defeats the purpose.)

Thanks - it''s my first time trying to deal with ebay + semimounts.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Litebrite - I love your spess, and can't wait to see how you choose to set it!

What are the exact dimensions of your stone? That information will help me answer your questions about upsize charges.

Check out Jewelryhoo/Jewe2004 and see if there's anything that strikes your fancy. Their changes are only $30 to change the size of the basket, and $10 for ring sizing, so I've been having great luck with them lately. If you've seen the Cartier Ballerine inspired setting I posted in the catch all thread, I won the auction at $167 and the changes I needed for it to fit my aqua were only an additional $30. I was pleased with the last setting in which I set my EC sapphire.

As for the comfort question, I normally stick with the thinner shanks, so I have no problems wearing them. However, I have a couple of split shanks, and they are a bit less comfortable, but that would probably be an issue with me whether they were LOGRs or Leons.
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 12:26:15 PM
Author:litebrite
I'm looking for a setting for my spess, photos in this thread. I would like to set it in something before LOGR prices increase (again.)
7.gif
I suppose I should have bought something before, but I didn't have anything to set back then.

I'm not stuck on LOGR; is that still the best value-quality ratio or is there another ebay or other seller that is affordable and good? I've looked at Yigal and AmericanSet, neither of those really have settings that stir me, plus I don't want to have to deal with buying a ring with a stone that I don't have much use for. I'm looking for something in WG that comes set with melee already, plus it's not quite exactly a 6x8 otherwise I'd look at Stuller and other standardized mounts. I'm thinking prongs not bezels otherwise I like the simplicity of this bezel.

For people who have worked with LOGR, does it make sense to adapt a larger setting down and pay $50 for the resized head given the cost? Or is it better to pay $50 to increase the size of a mount upwards?

Also, are LOGR settings comfortable? I have a problem wearing very thick shanks. For example this LOGR setting would be too thick, and I wouldn't be able to wear it comfortably, which means I wouldn't wear it (defeats the purpose.)

Thanks - it's my first time trying to deal with ebay + semimounts.
That's a very pretty spessartite!! Do you have the original vendor photos for it? Very nice orange color. I think it would look great in white gold since the color is so orange if the pictures are true to life. I always stick with LOGR since the one lan.b04 (jewe2004 or many of his zillions of incarnations on ebay) was really chincy and light weight and the prong broke off when they tried to set it. I've never had durability issues with LOGR. However, many people love lan.b04's settings, so don't just go by my experience.

I have found that for the price, and I have compared pricing to LOGR, that lan.b04's is comparable, not less expensive, not more. I'm just worried about what I'll recieve from lan.b04 for my $$. I just received a very heavy 18K gold mount with tiny diamonds from LOGR for around $320, and no where in the market place have I found you can do better for the price, but maybe someone else can disagree with me (please do!!), or chime in on it. Lauren and others have had good experiences. Americanset is more expensive, but I've heard the workmanship is better on those pieces. I don't own an Americanset, so I'm just going by what others say. Stuller also makes moderately priced settings as well, but they are more expensive than LOGR. I have so many LOGR's, I've lost count!!

Incidentally, he charges a $30 non-refundable labor charge for any resizing. It can go up from there, especially if you are going up in size on a ring (adding more diamonds and gold weight).

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
TL, here''s the original photo and info: namibian spess
The color is very orange, I am over the moon happy with it. Your spess'' color is one of my inspirations, and I think mine would look great in WG and melee as well. I actually don''t wear any orange, so it''s strange that my favorite stone that I''ve found since being on PS is a bright fiery orange, but that''s part of the PS education.

LTP, it''s true, I would have problems with wide shanks if it were Leon or an ebay seller. My fingers are "sensitive" as a jeweler said yesterday when I went to go try on a bunch of rings. Thanks for the Jewelryhoo suggestion, I had forgotten about them. Did you send your stone to them to set or find someone locally? It''s a 8x7. I saw some 8x10 rings that I liked on LOGR and jewelryhoo, just wondering if it''s worth it to pay more to go down in the head size if that makes sense. It''s one of the reasons why I want prongs. Otherwise I really like bezels :)

Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it. Everyone here is so informative, and I''m really enjoying my entrance into Colored Stone candyland.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 3:44:27 PM
Author: litebrite
The color is very orange, I am over the moon happy with it. Your spess'' color is one of my inspirations, and I think mine would look great in WG and melee as well. I actually don''t wear any orange, so it''s strange that my favorite stone that I''ve found since being on PS is a bright fiery orange, but that''s part of the PS education.

LTP, it''s true, I would have problems with wide shanks if it were Leon or an ebay seller. My fingers are ''sensitive'' as a jeweler said yesterday when I went to go try on a bunch of rings. Thanks for the Jewelryhoo suggestion, I had forgotten about them. Did you send your stone to them to set or find someone locally? It''s a 8x7. I saw some 8x10 rings that I liked on LOGR and jewelryhoo, just wondering if it''s worth it to pay more to go down in the head size if that makes sense. It''s one of the reasons why I want prongs. Otherwise I really like bezels :)

Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it. Everyone here is so informative, and I''m really enjoying my entrance into Colored Stone candyland.
Litebrite,
Thanks for the kind words on my spessaratie. I''m so happy you ended up with a stone you love, afterall that''s alot of what Pricescope is about - happy endings!!
9.gif
I don''t wear orange that much either, but my spessartites are still a lot of fun to look at, and I''m sure yours will be as well once you get that puppy set.
31.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2009 3:44:27 PM
Author: litebrite

LTP, it''s true, I would have problems with wide shanks if it were Leon or an ebay seller. My fingers are ''sensitive'' as a jeweler said yesterday when I went to go try on a bunch of rings. Thanks for the Jewelryhoo suggestion, I had forgotten about them. Did you send your stone to them to set or find someone locally? It''s a 8x7. I saw some 8x10 rings that I liked on LOGR and jewelryhoo, just wondering if it''s worth it to pay more to go down in the head size if that makes sense. It''s one of the reasons why I want prongs. Otherwise I really like bezels :)

LB, I didn''t send my stone to them. I have a local jeweler that I like quite a bit, so I have him set all of my stones. It''s an extra $40, but he knows how to do the pointy prongs, so I feel it''s worth it to ensure it''s set the way I like.

I definitely feel it''s worth it to pay the extra to have the ring sized appropriately for your stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results