shape
carat
color
clarity

Semimount advice for an oval stone

mehtluvsbling

Rough_Rock
I have a green chrysoberyl oval stone measuring 5.5mm by 7.5mm. I would like to find a stock semimount for it. Would a 6mm by 8mm or a 5mm by 7mm setting work with this stone's measurements? Also can anyone suggest a good place to source a semimount?​

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mehtluvsbling|1378404026|3515088 said:
I have a green chrysoberyl oval stone measuring 5.5mm by 7.5mm. I would like to find a stock semimount for it. Would a 6mm by 8mm or a 5mm by 7mm setting work with this stone's measurements? Also can anyone suggest a good place to source a semimount?​

What is your budget, and how high quality do you want the setting?

mehtluvsbling

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't want to spend much more than about $300. I like a heavier setting and would prefer it to be at least 14 kt white or rose gold and I don't necessarily want diamonds in the setting. I'm just looking for a basic, decent quality gold setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check the sticky thread at the top with recommended vendors. There's an ebay setting vendor list. They're reasonably priced, and in your budget.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - if you are going with a prong setting, probably a stock 8x6mm oval will be your best bet - but measure the depth of your oval as well - usually colored gemstones are cut with a greater depth than diamonds - if yours is too, an 8x6mm prong setting should work just fine for your oval. If your chrysoberyl is cut shallow, it is possible a 7x5mm prong setting could work.

Another option is to browse through Adwar (http://www.adwar.com/)and Stuller (http://www.stuller.com/)- if you find a setting you like, just contact your trusted local jeweler, or PS-highly-regarded vendor Michael E (http://www.gemshoppe.com/, to find out what the cost would be in your preferred metal and ring size - if the price works for you they can order it (and then set your stone).

eta - With today's metal prices, I'm not sure your $300 budget will be enough if you prefer a heavier setting in 14kt gold - perhaps if your ring size is on the smaller-than-average size and the semi-mount is simple with minimal design details - and if the $300 is for the semi-mount itself and not inclusive of the setting charge (apx $35-$50 on average but could be more or less depending on your location).

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My jeweler told me it's aways better to buy a slightly larger setting than a slightly too small one, so go with 6x8.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I really like the stuller settings that marymm linked. I've paid from $250 to $380 for them at my local jeweler, but the $380 one was 18kt gold which costs more. I also love them because they come in quickly and can be ready in less than a week!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results