shape
carat
color
clarity

Seeking Advice on Padparadscha Engagement Stone

D5grvty

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, long-time lurker here but first time poster. I've been reading your stickied notes and various threads on sapphires and wow, learned so much! Here is my situation: I recently decided to propose to my girlfriend and have been trying to select the perfect stone for her. She really loves the peachy-pink colors of padparadscha sapphires, so I've been looking far and wide to find a stone that fits her tastes and my budget. She likes a good balance of pink vs peach, unheated, with as little brown undertoning as possible. My requirements are that the stone be between 1.5-2 carats and under $8k.
After looking online for awhile, I found a stone on the Natural Sapphire Company site that seemed to be appropriate. I know this company isn't well-loved here, but I have decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Her sister kindly offered to serve as a stand-in (they have the same tastes and skin tone) so we both went to see the stone in person.
The stone looks a lot lighter online, but against her sister's skin, it took on a rosier tone. The sister told me she thinks my gf will like it. I also appreciated how sparkly it is, since I know that is something my gf would like (all girls love sparkle, right?)
My question is, do you think this is a good purchase? I've placed it on hold while I consider. The price seems right, and I've requested a GIA certificate to verify its authenticity. The cut seems fine to me, but then, I don't know much about windows or precision cutting.
Here are the link and photos:
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-56099-pear-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2466/

Any and all advice would be deeply appreciated! I know very little about gems, and all I do know is from my time spent lurking here. It's a bit of a nerve-wracking time for me.

_33192.jpg

D5grvty

Rough_Rock
Here are two more pictures. Please excuse the greasiness of the stone - I was stupid and grabbed the sapphire with my fingers before the sales associate could offer me tweezers.

_33193.jpg

_33194.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a little windowed (you can kinda see right through the middle of it) but it's not too bad. It may close up when set. I like the color. If they're willing to submit the stone for certification, have them send it to AGL, AGL is equipped to detect beryllium and is more reliable than GIA for colored stones. If it does have beryllium, the stone is only worth about $200. For $60 spent at AGL, it's worth finding out.

I'm more concerned about the rings in the tray; are those from NSC? The diamond quality on those settings is awful. Very commercial grade, low end, low performance diamonds. If you want a quality setting, take it to ID Jewelry on 47th street (google the address). Tell them you're from Pricescope and you'll see the difference in quality. Their setting prices are also generally less than NSC.

NSC is not the best vendor around, but they do offer expediency. If you're in NYC, it's nice to be able to see stones in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander has it covered:
1. The pear is windowed but it seems not to bother you? It is a very shallow stone at 51% depth.
2. No lab report. My preference is AGL but GIA is all right. Confirm origin and unheated treatment
3. NSC accepts offers so it doesn't hurt to make one.

D5grvty

Rough_Rock
iLander: Unfortunately, when I asked to see certification, NSC offered only GIA as an option. I sincerely hope that is sufficient! My girlfriend and I are also based in Los Angeles (we visited NYC a few weeks back for a family trip). Would you mind recommending a LA based company for a setting?

D5grvty

Rough_Rock
Chrono: I didn't know they entertain offers! Thank you for that revelation. I assumed that once I had placed a hold on the item, the time for price negotiation passed?

S

SparkliesLuver

It seems to have a decent window, and that's a personal preference. Is 2ct your max or are you open to larger? I'm not sure if any other PSer has ordered (and seen) this stone, but I wanted to at least mention this spinel. I think it'd look lovely with her skin tone.

3.04cts
10.2 x 7.3 x 5.6mm
VVS
Untreated
$2,950.00
"Fantastic 3+ carat "Padparadscha color" spinel oval! Stunning peachy pink color, gorgeous. Excellent cut and clarity."

spinel_350_0.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is fine for what it is and iLander has covered the issues with it. I am more concerned with how they can possibly call that a padparadscha. The definition of padparadscha is a delicate mix of two colors and two colors only: pink and orange. No brown. This is critical, because true padaradschas command a premium, which means one can buy the peachy, slightly brownish, pinkish orangish sapphires for considerably less because they cannot be called pads. If this is true, then the lab will come back describing it as a brownish pinkish orange or some such variation and will not list it as a padparadscha. I'm saying all this because if you like the stone, and if it comes back as other than a padparadscha, you will have overpaid considerably for the stone.

If the look is what you are after, and you like stones like that, I suggest you look at other sites for stones similar to this one that are not listed as pads. If the pad moniker is a requirement along with the look, then back away from this one, or renegotiate the price, particularly when and if it comes back as other than a pad. Did you check out Gemfix? Sometimes they have close-but-no-cigar-type pad-like sapphires.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
D5grvty|1439399526|3913738 said:
iLander: Unfortunately, when I asked to see certification, NSC offered only GIA as an option. I sincerely hope that is sufficient! My girlfriend and I are also based in Los Angeles (we visited NYC a few weeks back for a family trip). Would you mind recommending a LA based company for a setting?

I don't know an LA based company.

I'm all the way across the country from IDJ and I ship them my stones and have them set them at a distance. They are very used to doing this, for me and many other PSers.

If you email them, they will help you. Your stone shape will require a custom creation and they can do all that for you; send you suggestions, pictures, CAD renderings, etc.

I chose IDJ for the diamond quality and great price.

Most PS posters use suppliers at a great distance, local jewelers rarely can provide the quality we look for.

Alternatives; start a thread in diamond hangout looking for an LA setting vendor. Someone might know someone.

OR ask NSC to upgrade their setting stones to premium cut and clarity. Even in 1 point melee there can be a HUGE difference in quality. Think "diamond" jewelry at Macy's versus Cartier. You can see the difference very easily.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Would you mind recommending a LA based company for a setting?

I am not iLander, but can recommend David Klass, Berj Koujoumjian, and Victor Canera (more pricey) in LA.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swissmiss|1439494684|3914215 said:
Would you mind recommending a LA based company for a setting?

I am not iLander, but can recommend David Klass, Berj Koujoumjian, and Victor Canera (more pricey) in LA.

David Klass is great, I second this recommendation!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David Klass offers good quality for great pricing! He is very nice to work with. You will receive a CAD drawing after you have determined the design. You can make alterations until you are satisfied. The ring will then be casted. In some cashes the finishing will be done by hand (for example if you want engraving).

I can also recommend working with Victor Canera. He makes handforged pieces, so his pieces are priced higher. He makes the most stunning pieces.

Both are located in LA. I live in Europe and I worked with both vendors as a large distant customer. Both offer great customer service and a smooth process.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yay! :appl: I was hoping that someone would find an LA vendor for the OP.

OP: you and your fiancé might want to find pictures of rings you like and start there.

Also, there are many PSers here that will help you through the process (look through your CADs, etc), but they are more patient than I will ever be. :) Just start a thread asking for CAD help.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Didn't want to leave off as the unlucky number post.

Turn around, spit three times.

:bigsmile:

D5grvty

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your suggestions!! I will definitely look into these designers to see which one is the best fit. Unfortunately, it turns out that my sapphire is heated. NSC didn't even send me the GIA report, just an email saying that the sapphire (which was previously marketed as unheated and untreated) had some heat treatment. That didn't sit well with me, so I canceled my order. I'm now starting from scratch with Wild Fish Gems. My fiancé is a die-hard sapphire fanatic, so although that spinel is a very pretty color, I think she would prefer a sapphire more. She originally loved blue sapphires to begin with, and I feel like I can get a better quality one for a more affordable price than a padparadscha, so I will start from there. Thank you again for all your help!

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
D5grvty|1439669772|3914949 said:
... My fiancé is a die-hard sapphire fanatic, so although that spinel is a very pretty color, I think she would prefer a sapphire more. She originally loved blue sapphires to begin with, and I feel like I can get a better quality one for a more affordable price than a padparadscha, so I will start from there. Thank you again for all your help!

Yes, you definitely will, nice pads are scarce and priced accordingly. A fine quality 1.5 - 2 carat blue sapphire will be much easier to find as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results