shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for Tanzanite!

stripdshirt

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm back under a new username (because I forgot my old one) since my wife is now obsessed with me finding her a tanzanite ring for mothers day/birthday/just gave birth to twins!

Since everyone here was such a tremendous help, taught me so much, and found me a stellar deal on my first diamond purchase, I'm hoping someone can help me find a good Tanzanite stone.

She found a Simon G ring that she tried on at a private party and became obsessed with that unfortunately isn't fitting into the budget. My plan was to give her the stone for Mother's day and let her pick out the exact setting she wants since she has this Simon G one burned into her head which as of right now is more than the stones I've been looking at...

I've been looking at numerous sites for some decent stones Multicolour didnt seem to have much, lapigems stones are incredible but are priced a little high, same with Pariaba. Anyone have any experiences with alphaimports.com ? I was hoping to be around the $300-400/Ct. mark Is that wishful thinking for what I'm looking for?

I just dont want to get a stone too small especially since the one she tried on was 7ct.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
I am NOT an expert but I was just on the Jeffery Davies site admiring this:

_57_1_171624758.jpg

5.80 ct for $1850 (10.50 x 7.70). Again, if you like this please let others advise you as to whether it's a good thing. I notice it's got a couple of different colors going on. He's got a few more on his site, but this is the biggest. :naughty:

ETA: He also has an oval on there that faces up bigger for $785.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will be an occasional wear only ring, right?

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Is there a particular hue that she prefers? They come in all kinds of color combos. The traditional deep purple/blue will be the most expensive.

stripdshirt

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1430229897|3868980 said:
This will be an occasional wear only ring, right?

I know it should be... It's going to be hard to convince her of that.

tourma-guy|1430230056|3868981 said:
Is there a particular hue that she prefers? They come in all kinds of color combos. The traditional deep purple/blue will be the most expensive.

There isn't a particular hue she prefers... I always saw the deep blue with a high saturation as a gorgeous stone! I'm not opposed to something a little different and I'm sure she wouldn't be either as long as it sparkles and catches peoples eyes!

Sparkliesluver I really like that color!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok as an owner of more Tanzanites than I can count here's a quick overview of what you might want to look for:

1. The top stone (ie the multicolour one) is a bi-colour Tanzanite. They can be interesting - and this one is a good example - but (for me) they don't have the WOW of a top colour stone.

2. The next stone has waaaaaaaaay too much grey for my liking. Too much grey in a Tanzanite affects the value and (again for me) the beauty. Having said that, it's a beautifully cut stone and if your wife doesn't mind the grey element then it'd be lovely.

3. When I buy Tanzanite I look for the traditional Kashmir Royal Blue of a sapphire - so it looks like liquid velvet, smooth and warm looking. This is actually the stone that most collectors will go for and is the one that can command the highest prices (I suspect these are ones from Lapigems that you've been looking at but I know some of them can be very dark indeed). There is a point where a Tanzanite can be so blue that it starts looking almost inky black. I'd avoid those.

4. If you find a gorgeous blue one that has touches of purple, don't discount those. Interestingly they're not considered to be the best by collectors BUT they can be absolutely sensational!

The price per carat nowadays is around £400 (UK GBP) which I think is around $550 per carat. It dropped in price several years ago but has started to increase. I'm not sure why it has increased but where they've been predicting it won't be mined for much longer (for at least the last 15 years), it appears that D block mining may indeed be on the wane. IF that's true then it might be good to get your hands on some now and if you can, pay as much as you can for a good specimen.

Lastly, as Chrono has asked - this isn't for an every day ring is it? Tanzanite is a soft stone and should really only be worn occasionally. Despite some people buying/wearing them as e-rings, they're really not hardy enough for that.

If you need some photos to show you what I mean about colour I'll be happy to post up. All my photos are on a back up drive because my laptop died recently and I lost everything but I have an old back up with some photos on there.

Gene from Precision Gems has this in stock and it's a very pretty stone. Slightly lighter in saturation than I would prefer but it's a gorgeous stone and very keenly priced. http://www.precisiongem.com/Gemstones/rapidcart/Tanzanite.html

Eric from Swala Gems has some http://www.swalagemtraders.com/?s=tanzanite&post_type=product

The 2.39ct from Brad looks ok but might be a little too grey http://www.thegemtrader.com/Gems%20TZ%20Page%201.htm

Peter Torraca has this one. It's not as saturated as I would like but the cutting makes up for that and it's beautiful. http://www.torraca.net/projects/tanz761/

stripdshirt

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1430229871|3868979 said:
I'm not a tanzanite expert - and I don't know what your overall budget is - but this one catches my eye. :)
3.71 carat
8.5 X 7.2 X 7 mm deep
Unheated
$980
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=8269

I've also eyed a large round from here (http://www.atggems.com/Photos_Tanzanite.htm) for awhile, so you could look there as well.

Really thinking she would like this just a little bigger in oval or round... She specifically said she wasnt a fan of square shaped gems. Any other places I can look?

S

SparkliesLuver

stripdshirt said:
Really thinking she would like this just a little bigger in oval or round... She specifically said she wasnt a fan of square shaped gems. Any other places I can look?

This is the round one I've eyed for awhile. This might be right up her alley, provided it's within budget!

4.62ct
10mm
$2,975

tanzanite.png

stripdshirt

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1430239581|3869054 said:
stripdshirt said:

This is the round one I've eyed for awhile. This might be right up her alley, provided it's within budget!

4.62ct
10mm
$2,975

Gorgeous, unfortunately a little out...

Let me ask everyone this. Since we talked about Tanzanite being soft, and her wanting to wear this all the time. Would Zircon be a better option? It's only rated at a 7.5 which is a little harder but I'm not sure how that compares.

As you may or may not be able to see, I'm trying to follow the kids birthstones of December.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, SL, that last one you posted is stunning - definitely getting into the sapphire impersonation. :lickout:

S

SparkliesLuver

minousbijoux said:
Wow, SL, that last one you posted is stunning - definitely getting into the sapphire impersonation. :lickout:

I know, right?! :naughty: It's been calling my name for awhile. I think I'd want to wear it all the time though and I couldn't.

stripdshirt

Rough_Rock
This is what she was looking at in a Aquamarine with the band she wanted which had me think I might be able to get away with Zircon.

_29687.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only gemstone that can be worn 24/7 are corundum and chrysoberyl. Spinel could be doable as well. All others have drawbacks or need a certain amount of babying. Zircon is prone to facet abrasions. MOH is only the level of hardness; one also has to consider its toughness, cleavage, brittleness and more.

Mohs 9 - Ruby and Sapphire: generally considered the most durable of the colored gems, especially if untreated and eye clean, clarity wise. Ruby that has been filled with substances such as glass have a much lower resistance to damage such as abrasion from wear. Ruby, under high-heat-only with flux present, will also handle wear well.

Mohs 8-1/2 - Chrysoberyl including Alexandrite: It does not exhibit severe brittleness seen in other gems - and would be a great stone for regular wear as a ring stone.

Mohs 8
Spinel: is generally considered a gem that wears well. It is resistant to damage and not just damage from abrasion.
Topaz: can be worn in rings, but some caution should be exhibited.

Mohs 7-1/2-8 - the Beryl family including Aquamarine, Heliodore (golden Beryl), Morganite, Goshenite wear fairly well and can be worn in rings though not be suitable for 'everyday wear'. Beryl's do have an element of brittleness though not as severe as some other gems.

Mohs 7-1/2
Andalusite: reasonable wearability though it does have a slight brittleness and distinct cleavage. Facet junctions are likely to show wear after only a few years regular wear.
Iolite: holds up fairly well but has distinct cleavage and a sharp blow in one or more specific directions may cause it to separate into more than one piece.
Garnet group: facet junctions will show wear within the first few years of being worn. And, the facet junctions may not chip as much as 'crumble' for lack of a better way to describe this.
Tourmaline: not for everyday wear as they can be brittle, does not hold up well where temperature changes are radical. They are known to 'chippy' as can be seen along facet junctions that are exposed.

Mohs 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 - Zircon is often thought of as brittle. Zircons heated to high temperatures (over 1,000*C) to convert them to blue are definitely more brittle and show the effects of wear easily. Blue Zircon worn high on a mounting will need refurbishing regularly. Unheated Zircons and those subjected to much lower temperatures (of various colors) are less prone to show wear - and appear less brittle.

Mohs 7 - The Quartz family is well known due to being available and popular. Its wear pattern is predictable. Facet junctions (even when faceting) can be 'chippy'. Chipping along the crown facets is common, and abrasions from wear are as well.

Mohs 6-1/2 to 7
Kunzite: It is brittle, does not resist scratching well, does not repair easily, and has perfect cleavage in two directions. In addition to all that, it has the unfortunate problem of being light sensitive - reducing its depth of color with prolonged exposure to direct sunlight. Peridot: Abrasions are readily seen on exposed gems that are frequently worn but refurbishing is not usually problematic.
Tanzanite: Exposed surfaces will show wear in a relatively short time and the perfect cleavage can be a problem. Tanzanite is also heat sensitive; the shock of rapid temperature during setting repairs change may cause damage.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SL and Greg: please stop it! I was not at all tempted by the first few stones, but now you are posting some very, very pretty tanzanites which appear to be calling me by name. I command you to cease and desist. :tongue:

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1430242303|3869087 said:
SL and Greg: please stop it! I was not at all tempted by the first few stones, but now you are posting some very, very pretty tanzanites which appear to be calling me by name. I command you to cease and desist. :tongue:

I know right? I told myself I was done after the blue zircon, but dangit if I don't want a nice tanzanite in my collection. :errrr:

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All this fear of how well a stone will wear, is a function of how hard a person is on their jewelry. Some people can wear a softer stone for years and years with no damage, others will chip up a diamond in short order. It's the same with watches. I know guys who's watch crystals are so scratched up you can hardly read the time. I have watches that are 20 years old that look like new. My wife wore a tourmaline ring for years every day, and never has a scratch or chip on it.

Look at the new Apple Sport watch, the screen is maybe a hardness of 7? I haven't seen any real specs on it. The Apple Watch has a sapphire screen, so it's a 9. Does that mean that the Apple Sport watch can only we worn every now an then? I'm sure there are people that will destroy the screens on both versions of the watch, and I'm sure there are others that will not.

Look at the gold work on her current rings. Are the prongs bent, is the gold are scratched and dented up? Gold is very soft and can be scratched with many things you come in contact on a daily basis. Stones with a hardness of 6 or more are harder than most anything you commonly come in contact with. There is a difference between chipping something, and scratching something. A diamond can only be scratched by another diamond, but can be chipped by clunking it on your kitchen counter.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1430243963|3869102 said:
All this fear of how well a stone will wear, is a function of how hard a person is on their jewelry. Some people can wear a softer stone for years and years with no damage, others will chip up a diamond in short order. It's the same with watches. I know guys who's watch crystals are so scratched up you can hardly read the time. I have watches that are 20 years old that look like new. My wife wore a tourmaline ring for years every day, and never has a scratch or chip on it.

Look at the new Apple Sport watch, the screen is maybe a hardness of 7? I haven't seen any real specs on it. The Apple Watch has a sapphire screen, so it's a 9. Does that mean that the Apple Sport watch can only we worn every now an then? I'm sure there are people that will destroy the screens on both versions of the watch, and I'm sure there are others that will not.

Look at the gold work on her current rings. Are the prongs bent, is the gold are scratched and dented up? Gold is very soft and can be scratched with many things you come in contact on a daily basis. Stones with a hardness of 6 or more are harder than most anything you commonly come in contact with. There is a difference between chipping something, and scratching something. A diamond can only be scratched by another diamond, but can be chipped by clunking it on your kitchen counter.

This is great advice. I'm one of the forum risk takers and am relatively soft on my rings so I do wear a high proportion of coloured gemstones more than others. HOWEVER, if I knocked a stone in the wrong way, I'd be in the same position as somebody who is hard on their rings.

Next - you need to understand the MOHS scale. It is not a linear scale (ie with even jumps between 6, 7, 8 etc). In fact the steps vary enormously. Please see below the chart. I love this as it really strikes home!

mohs_hardness_scale.jpg

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's a nice graphic LD, but I think the knife is shown a bit high. A hardened steel file is about 6.5 and these are used to shape a knife blade. Most knives would be around 5.5 but of course it would depend on the type of steel and any heat treatment or other hardening methods use on the steel.

So basically, you would really need to hunt around your house pretty hard to find something that will scratch many of your stones.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1430243963|3869102 said:

:appl: :appl: Excellent post!!

Our teeth are "apatite" - Mohs hardness 5!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results