shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for a sapphire for engagement ring!

psysing

Rough_Rock
Hello All! Thank you for the wealth of information you have here.

I wanted some help finding a sapphire that will be used for an engagement ring. My girlfriend would like a classic blue sapphire (that is up to PS standards) in preferably a round shape or possibly oval. I would like to go as large as possible while staying within budget, which is $6000 total for the stone. From my reading so far, heating treatment is okay but others are not as desirable?

Any and all help would be very greatly appreciated!

psysing

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice so far, and thanks for the suggesting that stone, Niel. I really liked that sapphire, the color is beautiful to me. Does anyone have any other advice to offer? I am in need of lots of direction haha

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to PS! =)

The sapphire Niel posted is a beauty, and Dana actually recommends on the first page of his website to contact him to see if he can do any better on the price of the ANAGEE gems (which this one is). He's wonderful to work with.

Here is another one

3.75 ct. Sri Lankan Blue Sapphire
Color: Medium Dark Blue Clarity: Eye Clean
Origin: Sri Lanka Cut: Round Mixed
Treatments: Heat Only Measurements: 8.3 mm

An outstanding example of a large and fine Sri Lankan Sapphire. The color is that top blue that has a perfect tone - just dark enough to saturate the color without dampening any of the brilliance. Add to that the superb size and shape (the market rarely even hopes for 3-4 carat rounds, they simply don't come up) and you have the type of gem that has enjoyed a huge surge in demand (and price!) over the past few years. These are very hard to acquire now, nearly everything requiring some serious compromises.

Clarity is excellent, the stone is completely clean. Moreover, the cutting is very, very good with no windowing and lovely polish. There is a slight zoning to the color (usually an issue in rounds anyway) that you will see if rotating the stone in hand, but that will easily be hidden by a nice, level mounting. Better than 95% of what we see coming from Sri Lanka and with a 'heat only' cert from AGL.

$1100 / carat - $4125 total
http://www.thegemtrader.com/May13BSapphirePage.htm

Good luck in your search! =)

may13bsapphireii.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the one Sparklies posted. Almost 4ct, under budget, and 8.3mm is a nice face up size.

These sapphires have potential too but the price isn't published publically. You should reach out to various vendors to compare pricing.

http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval2_98ct_8809/#main
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphirebluerd3_18ct_8873/#main
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueov2_93ct_v02/#main
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval1_27ct/#main

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Personally, when I bought my bright royal blue sapphire I did not want a heated sapphire. The unheated ones are more rare and expensive but you can find one that is nice if you take your time. The ones that are bright blue color of my oval 3.19c unheated on The Natural Sapphire Co. were 7-12k.

Will sell you mine for less than 6k if you are interested. It measures approx.7.35 x 8.3 and set in 14k white gold with trillion sides. Let me know and I'll post it on Loupe Troup. I'm planning on getting a much larger one in the near future.

Good luck with your search. Love the round sapphires....the 1st one posted above is really nice.

Did you see this post? How gorgeous is that?

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unheated-burma-sapphire-set-in-sebastien-barier-octagon-ring.209455/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unheated-burma-sapphire-set-in-sebastien-barier-octagon-ring.209455/[/URL]

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1421629670|3818642 said:
treasurehunter|1421620836|3818593 said:
Is that the Burmese round posted in the other link haha 6k .... ???
Price showin on the Master Cut Gems web site is $6130.
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=7932

But it's not Burmese, so perhaps you are referring to a link other than the 1st one posted in this thread.

I do believe he was just joking that the stone arial posted is going to be a lot more than 6k

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1421636996|3818697 said:
I do believe he was just joking that the stone arial posted is going to be a lot more than 6k
Oh duh, that obviously went -- whoosh -- past me, :oops: so thanks, Niel!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What blue colour appeals most to you? Pictures would be helpful, as is the mm size you hope to get, rather than carat weight since cut even in rounds will vary.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MJO|1421636724|3818692 said:
This one is unheated and reasonably priced but does mention a slightly purplish secondary hue.

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10364

Perhaps it is only me, but I am made a bit uncomfortable by the fact that in the recent past you have sold stones to Michael and Litnon which you then have recommended others here to purchase, and that you appear to continually almost solely recommend Litnon to others. I see on another forum where you mentioned recently buying and then quite quickly selling a sapphire for a profit. All of this seems close to Trade standards to me. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I would like to think that we are not giving one vendor an unfair advantage here. :))

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I recommend stones based on what I know and what seems to be the best buys. I have dealt with Michael for for over 10 years first just buying and then when I wanted new stones selling stones to him so I could buy new ones. As all hobbyists I have bought things I think are cheap and resold them. I bought a bottle of wine for $1,000 and a few years later sold it for $3,000. I have also made bad choices and lost much as in the andesine fiasco. Sometimes people I know ask me to look out for stones for them.

I have dealt with Gene of Precision Gems, have purchase and sold to Paraiba International, purchased from AJS Gems and many ebay dealers over the years. Some of the stones on Paraiba Internationals site were mine. When a nice stone is shown and it is reasonably priced I give my two cents and say I think it's a deal. Michael happens to sell nice stones for less than most other sellers so I recommend him most. I do talk to him a lot and find out what he is getting in. I am looking forward to a brooch he is getting that I told him to hold for me.

As for stones I sold him, I have posted some if I think they are really nice and want PS members to get first crack at them. If no one wants to know what I think I will be quite. It's no skin off my back.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the clarification. Its not that I wish you to be quiet - quite the contrary. I just want members to be transparent and if in the trade to declare as such. There is a fine line between buying and selling for pleasure vs. trade. I'm happy to know that I misunderstood in your case.

ETA: sorry for the threadjack, OP.

psysing

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I have been unable to get to the computer the past couple days. I really appreciate all the suggestions and am considering some of the ones posted, thank you. The mm size I would like to get is 8 mm and the bigger the better without sacrificing too much elsewhere. I would like something that is relatively well cut. As for the color, I am not too particular. I like the sapphire Niel posted, and I also liked the sapphire in the first link that Loverskites posted.

Thanks again for all the help, I will update if I decide on one of these!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

psysing

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, I appreciate the advice. I'm lucky enough to have some of the colored gem experts drop in too, thank you! I have narrowed it down between:

http://www.thegemtrader.com/May13BSapphirePage.htm
http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=301&id=7932

It turns out the mastercut gem one is around 4000. So given that they are both the same price, which would you choose? Would the .3mm size difference be worth it to you to sway that way? Do you think the zoning would be noticeable in the larger one? If youre thinking of responding, please do. I was able to put a 24 hour hold on the one and need to make a decision!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The zoning on the GT one is very noticeable in the picture, and typically the vendor photos show the stone in their best light, so I'd probably steer clear of that one. It also seems to have a surface breaking inclusion on it. I wanted to point that out and made sure you saw it.

I have a hard time with Dana's photography, so I can't really recommend that one either.

Did you see stone 1185 here?:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the mastercut one.

Of he has a good return period idid get it hone and look at it, myself.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
Hi FrekeChild,
Just for learning purposes, how do you identify a surface breaking inclusion? Does the vendor not have to disclose that information in the description? He states, "completely clean". Thank you!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You can email Brad at The Gem Trader and ask about inclusions. I think he will be honest with you.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello All :wavey:

this is for everyone but mainly for FrekeChild as it is per her comment.
FrekeChild said:
I have a hard time with Dana's photography, so I can't really recommend that one either

We and that is Rachelle and I try to take photos that are as true to representation of the gem in natural light as possible; we use a Nikon D70s; with a Sigma 105mm 1:2.8D macro lens in diffused outdoor lighting only; unless we are trying to show off a color change gem.

We try very hard to make sure we represent the gem as close to real life as possible and give hand shots so many can see the color saturation is not doctored with. Now are they perfect; absolutely not; are they professional??? more than likely not also. But they are as good as we can get without spending hours on shooting an individual gem.

Rachelle is taking over that aspect of the business and it will hopefully free me up to do much more cutting; but I am sure she would be more than happy; as I would also to get some feedback from you all as a group and you also FrekeChild. Hopefully on another thread as I do not like hijacking another's thread; but it was brought to my attention and I would like to take this opportunity to get feedback as to how we can make it better as we all as vendors want to improve our skills and you as a group are our peers and we ( Rachelle and I ) respect your opinions on how we can make things better ...

We ( the vendors of this forum) were at one time going to send around a gem and let all the vendors photograph it; Gene emailed me and I told him I was game; but I guess it got swept under the rug; or we all got busy as I have not heard anything else.

But we are game for constructive criticism as I think everyone benefits in improving themselves and their business. But someone start a new thread so we can all improve whereby we show things in our photos that you the clients would like to see.

Not meant to insult or harm in any fashion;

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I always look for clues in the photos as to whether the photo is accurate for color. This is important because cameras often exaggerate or distort colors. If you look at the photos of the second sapphire, each of the photos has a blue tint to them. This is visible in the photos on the white surface where the surface looks blue instead of white and in the handshot. Sometimes taking photos in cool light, like evening light, can exacerbate the blue side; sometimes the camera just does it. This is a long explanation to say that the Mastercut stone is likely not as intensely blue as the photos indicate - or in normal, not so blue light, will not look as blue.

That said, Dana does have a good return policy and you might want to get it to see for yourself how representative his photos are. I would pass on the TGT stone because of the zoning (but its minimal and does look like one could minimize it by a well placed prong).

ETA: cross post with Dana's, otherwise I would've addressed Dana directly. Hi Dana :wavey:

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
:wavey: Minou

No problem I am just fishing for help on photography as I surely need it :) But do not have the time to spend hours on the "perfect' shot .... I am an ole Southern boy with very thick skin...

And not to proud to ask for help ;-)

Thank you all in advance....

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master gem Cutter
#96CGE42

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Fancygems|1422068707|3821200 said:
Hi FrekeChild,
Just for learning purposes, how do you identify a surface breaking inclusion? Does the vendor not have to disclose that information in the description? He states, "completely clean". Thank you!
I still like it, gems are so little IRL compared to the pictures, the zoning may blend in pretty easily with the flashes and movement. Ask about the possible surface reaching inclusion. A vendor doesn't have to mention it if it doesn't affect the stones durability and is invisible to the unaided eye. About identifying those, you just need to look closely at the picture until you see a crack or scratch or inclusion that seems to break the surface. But thats not very helpful, sorry :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results