shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for a round 7mm+ "champagne" sapphire

cbird

Rough_Rock
Hi folks

New user here. I've done a bit of searching through your forum and thought I would ask a few questions. I am currently searching for what seems to be a bit of a unicorn stone. It is for an engagement ring. I already have the setting picked out but I haven't been able to locate a stone. The color I am searching for is almost exactly the same as this champagne diamond (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/champagne-anyone.206067/)

We have been to local vendors and they keep showing us peach sapphires that are beautiful but they are all pink. We did see one perfect color stone that was cut as an oval. The stone I'm looking for has to be round. I am certainly willing to concede that this stone doesn't exist, and if we aren't able to find anything we are willing to go for a very light yellow like this:

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10973/10788

I've been searching for about 6 months with no luck so before I gave up and went for light yellow or even white I thought I would at least ask if anyone has any experience with this color. I am also willing to consider a champagne diamond if the price was right, but I am a complete newb at this stuff so I don't even know what I would be looking for.

Thank you for your time and any recommendations.

cbird

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1411407677|3755305 said:

Those are beautiful stones and now I'm even more confused because I love both of them. The larger one is at the top of my budget!

I have a question about etsy. I have seen some beautiful stuff on there but how do I know the quality of what I am buying?

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Having choices is a good thing, I think! :)

I believe Yvonne does business with a fair amount of PSers, so I wouldn't hesitate from starting a conversation with her. I haven't personally, but I'm sure others who have wouldn't mind chiming in (if they see the thread).

It's all about finding recommended/preferred vendors via sites like this. Have you checked out that thread at the top? Also, you can always send the stone to get certified (based upon what stone you end up with, be it a sapphire or diamond) to confirm what you bought is what you thought you bought.

It's also important to see any stone you're very interested in in person, because that's the only way to ever truly tell if it's "the one." So always be sure to ask about and read their return policy.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is this the color you are looking for? I can't recommend this vendor since I"ve never purchased from them before, but seems like a good return policy 30 days, could buy this and check it out with jeweler/appraiser.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANCY-DARK-BROWN-CHAMPAGNE-100-ALL-UNTREATED-NATURAL-DIAMOND-1-52-CT-SPARKLING-/121394089380?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item1c43a6cda4

I really like champagne colored diamonds as oppose to the color you are looking for but in a sapphire. Diamonds reflect differently and you aren't going to get the same color variation in light play with a sapphire. I have a green/brown/yellow diamond and I love the color play. Most times its yellow, there are times when its a bit champagne color because of the brown and green modifier.

Anyways, have you seen some IRL colored diamonds next to sapphire?

_22620.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes if youre going for brown, Id suggest diamonds too. Nothing quite sparkles like a diamond. plus, they are very easy to find!

You probably wont get 7mm, but you be sure to find a 6-7mm one. With some work could get at least a ct.

Leibish is where i was going link too, but i see someone already did. They, OFTEN, have sales. Maybe 7% maybe 20%, but they have them around most american holidays. If you have time, Id wait until a sale and see what you can snatch up! :naughty:

Just for my own enjoyment, how were you thinking of setting this lovely?

Otherwise Ill look around, but heres one at James Allen I found
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/brown/round-cut/1.04-carat-i1-clarity-sku-237159

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebay is the best place to buy champagne diamonds, as much as people hate ebay, brown diamonds are very affordable on there. Just buy from a reputable dealer with excellent feedback (use toolhaus.org for feedback). That's the one stone I wouldn't hesitate to buy on ebay. I know from experience. Don't overpay for a champagne sapphire when you can have a diamond instead. ;-)

Brown diamonds are not a very in demand color, hence, I would avoid Leibish for them, as they are expensive. I like Leibish for rare colors like pinks, blues, greens, etc. . .

Here's a gorgeous 7mm champagne diamond with a few needle inclusions (indicative of diamond) but not distracting. I would low ball the offer by 50% and see if he counters. I've bought from him before ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-20-Ct-Fancy-Off-White-Champagne-C1-Round-Brilliant-Loose-Natural-Diamond-Deal-/151393666373?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item233fc40545

cbird

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the replies! So many cool new options. Once I get home from work I will reply to all but in the meantime more options are appreciated!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Searching for a round 7mm+ "champagne" sapphire

Niel said:
I was looking at these again( just because I love caramel colored diamonds. ) and I'm a fan of the 1.25, even though its a little smaller. The cut is better, it has a smaller table,and the color is my favorite. (The one on the left)
Also I was thinking. One warning about buying diamonds from other sellers on eBay, make sure they come with a cert proving they have not been clarity enhanced. From looking quickly on eBay a lot of them were clarity enhanced when they did include a cert

uploadfromtaptalk1411420528032.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Searching for a round 7mm+

Niel|1411420611|3755428 said:
Niel said:
I was looking at these again( just because I love caramel colored diamonds. ) and I'm a fan of the 1.25, even though its a little smaller. The cut is better, it has a smaller table,and the color is my favorite. (The one on the left)
Also I was thinking. One warning about buying diamonds from other sellers on eBay, make sure they come with a cert proving they have not been clarity enhanced. From looking quickly on eBay a lot of them were clarity enhanced when they did include a cert

If you care about treatments on fancy brown diamonds, then its important to have a GIA report. However, the value of fancy browns is so low, such that treated vs. untreated shouldn't really be that much of a difference. It's up to you. I personally wouldn't want to pay potentially three times as much at Liebish for a stone that has a GIA report. If its a fancy pink, blue, yellow, green (without grey), etc. . . then yes, a GIA report is of the utmost importance, as you're now talking light years in price differences between treated and untreated.

I believe that ebay seller can send his diamond to GIA as well if asked, and specify you want it untreated. In fact, he specifies some reports he can obtain in his listing. I know he has had some GIA reports on some stones in the past. However, fancy browns are not worth it IMO. The resale value on them is very very low, unless they're some enormous stone, even some pawn shops won't take them. It's a shame, because they're really beautiful and underappreciated.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1411436580|3755545 said:
Niel said:

If you care about treatments on fancy brown diamonds, then its important to have a GIA report. However, the value of fancy browns is so low, such that treated vs. untreated shouldn't really be that much of a difference. It's up to you. I personally wouldn't want to pay potentially three times as much at Liebish for a stone that has a GIA report. If its a fancy pink, blue, yellow, green (without grey), etc. . . then yes, a GIA report is of the utmost importance, as you're now talking light years in price differences between treated and untreated.

I believe that ebay seller can send his diamond to GIA as well if asked, and specify you want it untreated. In fact, he specifies some reports he can obtain in his listing. I know he has had some GIA reports on some stones in the past. However, fancy browns are not worth it IMO. The resale value on them is very very low, unless they're some enormous stone, even some pawn shops won't take them. It's a shame, because they're really beautiful and underappreciated.

Buying a diamond that may or may not be treated, as I'm sure is the same with colored gemstones,is a dangerous game. Some treatments are permanent and some are not. Depending on the treatment the stone may end up milky over time or the integrity lessened. Then there's is also the matter of getting what you paid for in terms of color. I personally, when dealing with diamond types that are typically treated, would want to make sure the ones I'm considering are not.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The resale value on them is very very low, unless they're some enormous stone, even some pawn shops won't take them. It's a shame, because they're really beautiful and underappreciated.

It IS a shame because I find mine to have more personality and character than my larger, white, nicely cut OMC.

OP - unless you are under the gun timeline-wise, maybe keep searching around for a champagne diamond some more. But just to clarify, is that what your intended indicated she would like (that color stone/diamond)? Maybe - when talking to jewelers /sellers, indicate you are looking for around a C2-C3 color. I believe that is what mine is, though I never bothered to have it certed; just diamond tested. Though I might have it appraised if nothing else for insurance/peace of mind. I knew I loved it as is, and having the gia confirm it is a "champagne color wonky cut old miner" would have only told me what I knew, and resulted in money spent and time lost with my little pretty. :bigsmile:

Best of luck to you, and I will keep my eyes peeled as well. There was a much larger champagne beauty listed on LT or DB not long ago ... About a 2.5ct champagne diamond I believe. :love: if I didn't have mine already, albeit smaller, I would snag that one up and love her forever.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1411472895|3755648 said:
Niel said:

Buying a diamond that may or may not be treated, as I'm sure is the same with colored gemstones,is a dangerous game. Some treatments are permanent and some are not. Depending on the treatment the stone may end up milky over time or the integrity lessened. Then there's is also the matter of getting what you paid for in terms of color. I personally, when dealing with diamond types that are typically treated, would want to make sure the ones I'm considering are not.

I have a lot of champagne diamonds from that dealer, and they're all fine, and quite gorgeous. I've had them for years too, and none have faded, or lost clarity. He will also be able to get a GIA report if needed I believe. I would ask about that before I spend 3x as much as Leibish.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1411474929|3755669 said:
Niel said:

I have a lot of champagne diamonds from that dealer, and they're all fine, and quite gorgeous. I've had them for years too, and none have faded, or lost clarity. He will also be able to get a GIA report if needed I believe. I would ask about that before I spend 3x as much as Leibish.

True saving money is always great! That particular one looks both milky and yellow, rather than brown. But I suppose you know their photography better.....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1411475105|3755670 said:
TL|1411474929|3755669 said:
Niel said:

True saving money is always great! That particular one looks both milky and yellow, rather than brown. But I suppose you know their photography better.....

Um, okay.

Yes, I hate to see people overpay on brown diamonds, when I have a lot, and they're all quite beautiful, and I was able to afford making a gorgeous ring out of them, which I would never have been able to do if I purchased them from Leibish.

cbird

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Sorry I haven't replied in so long. Life can get busy!

I think I have settled on a stone but I am open to opinions. I have negotiated a price of ~$2600 (within my budget) for this stone:

http://www.leibish.com/champagne-diamond/110ct-light-brown-round-vs1-95293-16531

I do have some hesitations though. I love the way it looks from the side and in the video, however I am concerned about it looking almost like chocolate from the top. I know it is tough to say without seeing it in person, but does anyone have any opinions about this? It is very important to me that this looks champagne in color and not like straight brown. Also, does the price sound right?

While we are at it, does anyone have any ideas about settings? We had initially discussed a solitaire 6/4 prong with diamonds down the side that are "bezel set" but I'm not so sure that is the best setting for this stone. My gf wants white gold not yellow because she doesn't think it looks good on her skin tone. Any opinions?

Thank you for your time!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1412979850|3765610 said:
For the stone ~3k

For that budget, you can definitely find a nice champagne diamond. I wouldn't bother with a brown sapphire.

cbird

Rough_Rock
Yeah I gave up on the sapphire idea. The stone I linked in my most recent post is a diamond.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1412982029|3765621 said:
Yeah I gave up on the sapphire idea. The stone I linked in my most recent post is a diamond.

You might want to post it also in RockyTalky forum because they're cut experts over there, and I think with browns, you can afford to choose a better cut stone, which is probably why you're seeing a little darkness on the table. It could be camera shadow too. The good thing about Liebish is that they have a rock solid return policy should you wish to evaluate it in person.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yvonne Raley has two champagne diamonds:

This one a RB that is a smidge smaller than your requirements at about 6mm but a pretty gem at around $1100:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/157265663/champagne-brilliant-cut-diamond-9-carat?ref=shop_home_active_22

And this one that I have really ogled given its an old mine cut, but closer to your size goal and a nice 1.6ct weight at $3k:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/157265663/champagne-brilliant-cut-diamond-9-carat?ref=shop_home_active_22

Good luck! I LOVE me some champagnes! :love: Can't wait to see what you decide on.

My Ginger girl:

_23126.jpg

_23127.jpg

_23128.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1412996096|3765697 said:
Yvonne Raley has two champagne diamonds:

This one a RB that is a smidge smaller than your requirements at about 6mm but a pretty gem at around $1100:

And this one that I have really ogled given its an old mine cut, but closer to your size goal and a nice 1.6ct weight at $3k:

Good luck! I LOVE me some champagnes! :love: Can't wait to see what you decide on.

My Ginger girl:
Despite bing 1.6cts actually that second diamond is only 6mm too. I love the color but I wouldn't pay for a diamond that deep, you're just paying for diamond your eyes won't see

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1413029906|3765767 said:
Despite bing 1.6cts actually that second diamond is only 6mm too. I love the color but I wouldn't pay for a diamond that deep, you're just paying for diamond your eyes won't see

Actually the OMC IS closer to the 7mm mark (6.7 x 6.98 x 5.6mm) and has a gia cert. I just posted the wrong link; my mistake.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/157116329/champagne-old-mine-cut-diamond-163ct-gia?ref=shop_home_active_2&ga_search_query=Old%2Bmine%2Bcut

Yes, it's deep, but it's an Old Mine Cut, and I can say from first hand experience having both RB & OMC champagnes that the OMC champagne (because of the chunky facets) puts on a far more spectacular, colorful show than the RB any day and twice on Sundays. It's some thing one has to see to understand. But I am cool with no one else buying Yvonne's OMC ... Just means it remains available for me to snag when I have the funds. :love: :D

OP - if you would like a video comparing the two I have, I wouldn't mind making one for you and posting it, if you are interested in the OMC to see what I am talking about.

And I apologize; I overlooked than another PSer had posted Yvonne's stones earlier. I know they have been on her site a little while, so there may be room for negotiation ... Not sure. But it never hurts to ask. :saint:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also challenge the idea that one might be "paying for diamond your eyes don't see." It's all in how it is set. My Ginger was set in a way that allows me to see almost every part of it except what is hidden under the semi-bezel. If it were to be fully bezeled/enclosed in a basket, sure. But in an open setting style ... :hand: Part of the OMC's beauty is that killer higher crown. :love:

_23143.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results