shape
carat
color
clarity

Searching for a round 7mm+ "champagne" sapphire

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I am a bit late for the Ebay vs. Leibish brown diamond discussion....

Think "champagne" or "chocolate" diamonds ( some gray too) are much cheaper on Ebay. I agree with TL - these colors are overpriced at Leibish or other vendors. Bought a lot of diamond on Ebay - my chocolates ...why should they treat a diamond to get brown or gray....

And... Leibish etc. buy their diamonds in India too!! Remember the story of the purple orchid....

Maybe not this one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loose-diamond-HUGE-91-ct-dark-chocolate-color-100-natural-diamond-stunning-/131316872565?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item1e93187575

WARNING - only for adults and not for sensible FCD lovers .... :hand:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1413034931|3765789 said:

Think "champagne" or "chocolate" diamonds ( some gray too) are much cheaper on Ebay. I agree with TL - these colors are overpriced at Leibish or other vendors. Bought a lot of diamond on Ebay - my chocolates ...why should they treat a diamond to get brown or gray....

And... Leibish etc. buy their diamonds in India too!! Remember the story of the purple orchid....

Maybe not this one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loose-diamond-HUGE-91-ct-dark-chocolate-color-100-natural-diamond-stunning-/131316872565?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item1e93187575

I disagree about Leibish. I find it odd that they are a trusted and fair vendor for all other colors, but they somehow are tricking everyone with browns? Ebay may have cheaper stones, you may be able to get a "deal", but that doesnt mean Leibish isnt selling at fair market value. And again as an engagement ring, I do think there is value in buying a certified stone from a reputable vendor with a good return/ upgrade/or trade in policy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1413036293|3765794 said:
Marlow|1413034931|3765789 said:

Maybe not this one....

I disagree about Leibish. I find it odd that they are a trusted and fair vendor for all other colors, but they somehow are tricking everyone with browns? Ebay may have cheaper stones, you may be able to get a "deal", but that doesnt mean Leibish isnt selling at fair market value. And again as an engagement ring, I do think there is value in buying a certified stone from a reputable vendor with a good return/ upgrade/or trade in policy.

I think Leibish charges a higher fair market value for browns, but brown diamond prices are all over the place. It helps to shop around, but I do agree that Leibish is a rock solid vendor with an impeccable reputation.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Niel,

my personal opinion is that Leibish and some other have an oligopol on FCDs in some colors - there is simply no other chance to find some special colors - a price of 85K for a tiny little nothing 0,17 ct HGBV is compared to other really extremely rare gems ridiculous.

And many here know that I love and admire these kind of diamonds...but they are overpriced and far away from any kind of investment!!
Even the Argyle pinks.

Give some PSler here 85K and let them shop in Tucson or Basel World - and compare the result. I talked to vendors from Antwerpen and Germany - they offer nice FCDs too - and from India ( not all diamond are treated - there is enough on the market) - you get them much cheaper.

They have an excellent marketing and it is easy to buy via internet. This is o.k. - a result of hard work.

For champagne and grey and some yellow you don't need them - a simple answer...

cbird

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the replies. I will definitely look into the 1.25 carat stone. As for the 1.1carat stone I had negotiated for, any opinions on it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413071134|3765924 said:
Thank you for all the replies. I will definitely look into the 1.25 carat stone. As for the 1.1carat stone I had negotiated for, any opinions on it?

Not crazy about the 1.1 carat stone, I like the cutting on the 1.25 better, and it has slightly larger face up.

I also love that antique cut that was posted on the prior page. Did you post it in Rocky Talky for more opinions? I highly suggest that.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL|1411412105|3755348 said:
Ebay is the best place to buy champagne diamonds, as much as people hate ebay, brown diamonds are very affordable on there. Just buy from a reputable dealer with excellent feedback (use toolhaus.org for feedback). That's the one stone I wouldn't hesitate to buy on ebay. I know from experience. Don't overpay for a champagne sapphire when you can have a diamond instead. ;-)

Brown diamonds are not a very in demand color, hence, I would avoid Leibish for them, as they are expensive. I like Leibish for rare colors like pinks, blues, greens, etc. . .

Here's a gorgeous 7mm champagne diamond with a few needle inclusions (indicative of diamond) but not distracting. I would low ball the offer by 50% and see if he counters. I've bought from him before ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-20-Ct-Fancy-Off-White-Champagne-C1-Round-Brilliant-Loose-Natural-Diamond-Deal-/151393666373?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item233fc40545
Just have to say this one was my fav on this thread, and now it's gone. I hope a PSer got it!

TL, why does the middle of this stone look like that?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413071134|3765924 said:

the cut isnt amazing. And though its harder to find a well cut fancy color diamond, it is worth it in the end. The cut is what bring the sparkle. Also, a poorly cut one can focus color on certain areas more than others. If i was getting a round, id want it as close to ideally cut as possible so the color was even. Along with that, you dont want it to show too much brown, so a well cut stone will help with that

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results