shape
carat
color
clarity

SE Diamonds & Bench suggestions please

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pretty pair of small surface enhanced RB diamonds (e.g. <4mm). They are a peachy pink color. I know, I know ... not ideal that they are surface enhanced, but ... I originally got them to set as tiny stud earrings thinking they wouldn't see a lot of wear and tear as such and would be okay. I never got around to setting them, and in evaluating my gem stash and potential projects, was going to sell them. Then I thought I might like them bezeled in RG in a three stone ring with a lovely 9.4mm morganite I bought from Dana so I held off listing them on LT/DB. I don't have any details anymore on what type of surface enhancement the diamonds have, so I am curious what information anyone might have on such treatments, and if I might be treading into dangerous waters by bezeling them. My concerns would be around cleaning them (what might be safe to use, how), will bezeling possibly/likely damage the enhancement, etc.

I would also appreciate recommendations for a bench who might be a good resource for this project. The ring I would like to make is similar to the one attached (apologies I cannot recall whose ring it is, but it's a beaut!), with the three stones bezeled in RG, and silver shank and north/south bands attached to the bezels. I am also open to going all silver for this piece to keep it budget friendly. Attaching pic of the diamonds and morgie as well.

Thanks much in advance for any info or bench suggestions!

_30313.jpg

_30314.jpg

_30315.jpg

_30316.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like the FCDs are coated; typically, this is done only on the pavilion to enhance the colour. This treatment method is not permanent and can be removed/damaged when exposed to very temperatures (850 degrees F ?), abrasive and acidic chemicals. It is likely that open settings like tension and prong set may not be a good idea as it exposes the pavilion and culet to accident damage/scratches. Steam and ultrasonic are probably best avoided.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Chrono! So bezeling probably is the best way to go with them, it sounds, since it would provide a degree of protection from accidental scratches when being worn. I don't know anything about setting stones and if temps creep up into those ranges. If so, is one metal safer (temp wise) to bezel them in vs another? I originally wanted RG bezels to complement the stone colors, and a white metal for the rest of the ring (open to silver, argentinium, etc for budget purposes).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the only setting method that exposes the stones to such high heat is when wax setting. Most benches in the US do not do this; they create the wax, pour the metal, cool it, then set the stone.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again so much Chrono.

Anyone have suggestions for a bench to make this ring? I have seen/read JKT has done similar styles of ring but not sure if she is still in business (no activity on her website & easy). I haven't kept up with Daniel M and whatever ended up of his shop with the multiple delays other PSers experienced. They are the only two I read who work with projects like this, argentinium silver, etc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks; I'd looked there, but hadn't seen any updates since around 2012. I'll try to reach her through the contact page and see what comes about. ;-)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a follow up that I had a lovely conversation with Julia today, and she seems lovely! And she is working on projects, so we are talking to see if mine may be one of those in the near future. :)

Thanks again all! I will keep you posted on progress.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update. Does she still have an extremely long lead time?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know exactly. She mentioned she was on a hiatus for a while, but is ramping back up now with a few in-progress projects. I don't recall it being anything excessive, if that helps. ;-)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to report that I am moving fwd with JKT, and I must say, I really love what she came up with on first pass. :love:

Out of respect for her policies, I won't post the concept drawings, but I will definitely be back with pictures once it is done. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update. I can't wait to see what she comes up with. :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Estimated completion is 3-4 weeks. Just sharing since Chrono asked about lead time earlier. ;-)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring is finished, and it is a BEAUT! JKT sent me pics yesterday of the completed piece, and it should be in hand by end of this week. Out of respect for her policy, I am not posting her pictures, but I will be sure to post my own when it arrives. :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then ask her to hurry up! :devil: :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1435152170|3893465 said:
LOL ... she is shipping today. ;-)

Waah! How exciting. I cannot wait to see it. Glad you love the pics she has sent you. I am sure you will love it in real life.

S

SparkliesLuver

Absolutely cannot wait to see it!!! :D :dance:

(She's working on something for me too, so maybe mine is near completion as well...)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be sure to follow up with pics, but ya'll will have to hold off on hand shots. I am in the midst of packing my house and office for our move next week, and my hands are torn up to high heaven from all the work and no time to get my nails did. :oops:

I am excited. Julia was a super sweet person to talk with, and she nailed my design on the first shot. I figured it might be sometime in July till my pretty arrived (which would be just in time for my birthday), but to have it finished early is a bonus!

Does anyone recall if there is a "show me your JKT pieces" thread somewhere?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care about your hands and nails. I just want to see the ring (or whatever you are getting). :devil: :bigsmile: You can always crop out your hands and nails too. And the office move? That can wait too. :whistle:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: it is a ring, and if you saw my hands and nails right now, you'd come to my house and confiscate all my jewelry until I had a proper mani! It's THAT bad! Haha

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results