shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphires for earrings

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
My mother in law loves sapphires as it is her birthstone. My DH and I would love to make a pair of earrings for her. We are looking for a pair of blue sapphires that are at least 5.5mm with great color, good cut and good clarity. My budget is $2,000. Any help would be appreciated as this is our first colored gemstone purchase. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for rounds only?
Does your $2K budget include the earring setting?

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I am looking for rounds only and 2K does not including the setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any particular shade of blue?

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html
Item 1158 is 6 mm each and slightly over $2K but they look bright.
1105 is a darker blue but not too dark. Smaller at 5.5 m and just shy of $2K

If you are outside the USA, these will not work and I will check out other options.

sapphire_blue_1158_a.jpg

sapphire_blue_1105_1.jpg

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1396977742|3649808 said:
Any particular shade of blue?

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html
Item 1158 is 6 mm each and slightly over $2K but they look bright.
1105 is a darker blue but not too dark. Smaller at 5.5 m and just shy of $2K

If you are outside the USA, these will not work and I will check out other options.
I like the color of the second picture. How do I tell if a sapphire is windowing? I'm from California so would prefer to work with US based vendors

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pictures are too tiny to tell for sure but I am doubtful these are windowed. Make sure the gem is perpendicular to your eye and look straight down at the table. If you cannot see the object behind it, it is not windowed. If the stone is slightly off angle (not 90 degrees to the eye), then one cannot judge whether the stone is windowed.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of these 6mm 2.12 ctw and loupe clean? Is $2,500 a fair price?

_16862.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look to be a touch on the dark side in that picture. Any idea of how much light there was in that picture and the type of light? I'm concerned once they are in a more enclosed type halo setting and worn at the ears, they might darken up a little more. Sapphires are also shifty little critters; they look different when indoors/outdoors and at different times of the day. Have you viewed them under different light conditions?

Best light for sapphires - strong natural diffused light.
Worst light for sapphires - low incandescent light.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Chrono on those. I think they'd tend to blacken out on the ears in low light. Don't think you'd see much blue.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1397222081|3651725 said:
They look to be a touch on the dark side in that picture. Any idea of how much light there was in that picture and the type of light? I'm concerned once they are in a more enclosed type halo setting and worn at the ears, they might darken up a little more. Sapphires are also shifty little critters; they look different when indoors/outdoors and at different times of the day. Have you viewed them under different light conditions?

Best light for sapphires - strong natural diffused light.
Worst light for sapphires - low incandescent light.

This made me laugh. I don't know why, but I imagine the two sapphires stealthily looking from side to side as they decide whether to make a break for it from your MIL's ears :lol:

ETA: And yes, likely too dark.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I think the first picture was taken in indoor lighting. This was taken in strong outdoor lighting. I have not seen them in person but vendor says they are lively and close to ideal trade color? They are not certified but vendor assured me that they are loupe clean and that they are only heat treated. Should I send them to GIA or AGL if I buy uncertified sapphires?

_16884.jpg

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
They still seem too dark to me. They would likely black out once set, plus ears don't usually get as much light as one's hands or neck. (Hair can obscure or shadow them.)

Clarity is nowhere near as important for colored stones as it is for diamonds, so "loupe clean" wouldn't necessarily matter all that much or play much of a role in pricing. Certainly, large or very visible inclusions in a sapphire could be a negative
(whereas you expect them in other stones), but color is always king. Unfortunately, I don't think these sapphires are as nice of a color as you can get for the money. The Gemfix ones look better. BTW, like you, they are located in California - San Diego - so if you are in So. Cal, you may even be able to visit in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
I almost typed "shifty" as something else! :errrr: :bigsmile:

Hospatogi,
Given that the newest picture is under strong outdoor lighting, I think they are too dark for earrings (which get even less light). I prefer the indoor picture to the outdoor picture, which is a rare occurrence.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results