shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire ring - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I was wanting some opinions about a ring we found when we went shopping today.

It looks kind of like velouriaL''s ring in the Colored Stone E-rings/Eyecandy thread (here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colored-stone-e-rings-eyecandy.29435/), but without the diamonds on the band. Sorry there is no active link/picture, I am not very good with the technical aspect of this forum!

the stats were:

1 ct Ceylon Sapphire
.38ct H SI diamonds
18ct white gold

Price $2200 AUD, approx $1775 USD (stupid Aussie dollar).

Is this reasonable value? I really liked the ring, it is within our budget (a little bit more, but hey he is getting a widescreen TV that will be at least that much as an engagement present) and they have interest free terms.

Thanks for any input.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the sapphire heat treated? Are there any additional info on the sapphire? (clarity, color, mm size etc)

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, we were in and out fairly quickly tonight and I didn''t know all of the questions to ask!

If this is not enough information to give a general idea of value, would anyone be able to let me know the questions I need to ask for you to be able to assist?

Thankyou.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the ring you're referencing?
ll1.jpg

You would first and foremost want to know the treatment of the sapphire. Heat? Beryllium diffused? None? I'm assuming you already know that it's not synthetic since you said it's from Ceylon.

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
No, it is this one. My SO helped me to figure out the technical problems!

Yes, it is a natural sapphire. That was one question I knew to ask.

sapphirering_1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It all depends on the quality of the sapphire which sadly without pictures of the actual stone, there's no way to even have a ballpark figure of its value. Having the mm size, knowing if it has been treated (and what sort of treatment) and also checking out the inclusions are all a good start. Does it come with any lab certification?

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
I went back to the shop today to ask those questions and they told me they did not have those details. They said that they provide a valuation for free, but only after purchase.

Needless to say I wasn''t very happy with that and I have emailed blue nile to see if I can get a quote for a similar ring.

Are there any other reputable online companies that I should contact, keeping in mind that I am in Australia?

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 2:30:33 AM
Author: bobbin
Are there any other reputable online companies that I should contact, keeping in mind that I am in Australia?

For the sapphire, if you''re looking for blue, teal, or parti, look at Aussie Sapphire. Email them if you can''t see what you like there.

As for getting it set, your best bet is probably to send it out to the US somewhere (wink or whiteflash, perhaps) to get set, rather than getting it set here.

Also, anything over $1000 AUD you''ll have to pay duty and GST on.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 2:30:33 AM
Author: bobbin

Needless to say I wasn''t very happy with that and I have emailed blue nile to see if I can get a quote for a similar ring.

Too bad the shop is unable to provide the info necessary to make an informed decision! I don''t think blue nile does custom work.

Tell us what you are looking to get exactly and then we can help find it/ recommend good vendors.

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
I am after something like the ring above.

Blue Nile have one here http://au.bluenile.com/sapphire-diamond-ring_6069

However, I don''t want the pave diamonds on the band nor quite as high total carat weight. The .38ct diamonds of the ring I looked at in the jewelery shop were about the right size. My concern is more on the quality of the sapphire than the diamonds. I like the deeper brighter blue of the Ceylon sapphire that they had.

We have a budget of up to around $2500 AUD, give or take.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results