shape
carat
color
clarity

SAPPHIRE HELP

aragon

Rough_Rock
THIS IS 17.4 CARAT STONE I THINK IT IS A PINK SAPPHIRE.IT HAD GOT DOT ON A TIP SO IT SHOWS SOME BLUE COLOR ALSO.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW.THANK YOU

img_6840.jpg

img_6839.jpg

img_6837.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are clues that this is a synthetic and not a natural sapphire such as (1) the size (2) the lack of inclusions (3) the abrasions to the facet meets. If it's a natural sapphire it's worth a fortune. However, it's impossible to be 100% sure from a photo so I suggest you take this and your other stone to a local jeweller who may be able to run a few basic tests to see if you can get a better idea.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour does not look pink at all in your pictures but purple with touch of blue. Again, my reasoning for suspecting it to be a synthetic stone is the same as your other post; extreme clarity, excellent colouration, huge size, the pattern of wear and tear. The same suggestion hold true here as to how to verify this stone. Have a gemmologist run basic refractive index, specific gravity, etc.

aragon

Rough_Rock
ok chrono bro thank you. camera is not giving true color

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is certainly a magnified view! Is there something you are hoping to get out of it by posting that shot?

aragon

Rough_Rock
just want to get some idea about stones and how to check inclusions by myself.. and how to find fake stones ...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I dont think those are silk inclusions. Within each facet they have the same orientation, and on the whole are concentric. They look in every way like scratches from a fine lap that were not polished out properly on the extra fine lap.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are not silk inclusions IMHO. They appear to be polishing abrasions.

aragon

Rough_Rock
A rutile silk spider’s web spun beneath the facets of an untreated Sri Lankan sapphire. (Photo: R.W. Hughes)

I study basic about silk inclusion from this bookso i just guess..

_3337.jpg

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade
aragon|1358956889|3362286 said:
ok chrono bro thank you. camera is not giving true color

What's with people calling Chrono "bro" lately...? :confused: :lol:

Notice in your silk picture, how the orientation of the silk follows the crystal structure. The picture you posted before, the lines follow the orientation of the facets. The lines in your first picture are from the polish lap, not silk inclusions.

aragon

Rough_Rock
Thank you Stonebender couse i want to learn something from here.hehe.. and thanks for your help.I will post all stones which i have so that i can get some information from here.may be its curved striae. i doubt this is a Synthetic stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks kind of amethyst-y to me!

Or synthetic.

Quantz Studios

Shiny_Rock
Trade
aragon|1359272135|3364697 said:
i doubt this is a Synthetic stone.

Why do you doubt this is a synthetic stone? What gemological tests or observations have you done or had done to this stone to support this assumption?

I think before you go and post a bunch of pictures of objects that we really have no idea their true identity, you need to have these stones looked at by a professional. Do you have any gemological training/education? Do you have any Gem I.D. equipment and the knowledge to use it? There is only so much anyone can tell you from a picture, and without having hard gemological evidence to the stones identity, treatment level, etc. anything you will get on here is purely speculation.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely not silk but due to polishing because the marks are circular and rounded. Rutile patterning follows a certain path which is different, as shown in professional picture. We've already cautioned that online reading research is insufficient to assist in determining treatment and gem type. You cannot just "eye-ball" it either. It requires a certain set of quality tools like a refractometer, dichroscope, chelsea filter, UV light source, microscope and more, and also the knowledge of how to use them and interpret the results.

aragon

Rough_Rock
OK Stonebender bro, one GIA qualified guy gave me time so that i can meet him after 4 days.I had got lots of stone couse jewellary is our family business and my father know little but he check stone with out equipments in tradiational old way.I am a student of Information Technology now i want to start my own jewellary business also, so for knowledge this forum is best. So I joined here.I will post more stones so i can get knowledge about stones.

aragon

Rough_Rock
no only on picture the color looks like amethyst.In real the color is pinkish with blue touch due to blue dot on the top

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aragon

All of the stones you've posted are either low quality and huge in size or suspect synthetic. You've said that you want to start a gem and jewellery business so in order to avoid issues ie you know what you're buying, being able to test gemstones, understanding the market, being able to determine good/bad quality, I would suggest that you consider doing a distance learning course OR if you have one nearby joining that (although from your posts it sounds like there may not be anything near you). For example, you're looking at photos of inclusions and saying they're the same as the ones you see - they're not - and this is a common problem because actually looking at and understanding inclusions is a real skill and art - not something that you can learn in 5 minutes by reading articles online.

You say that your Father is in the same business and uses "traditional" methods or assessing gemstones. What I would ask is what he thinks of your stones? The issue with using "traditional" methods (and I'm not sure what you mean by that) is that the gemstone market has changed for the worse over the past 20 years and there are more and more and more synthetics/simulants and treatments on the market - some of which you can detect with a loupe IF you're experienced, others you can't. In many cases, only a lab will be able to tell you categorically.

As we can't give you any idea about your stones other than make reasonably educated guesses based on experience, I would suggest that you parcel them all up and send to one of the labs Chrono suggested in her previous post to you on another thread. That way, you will get an idea of whether you're doing things right i.e. buying quality OR whether you need to learn more. To give you an indication, it will take you a good couple of years of study and practice to really be able to understand gemstones - and then it's like riding a bike you have to keep practising otherwise your knowledge may become less proficient.

You clearly have a passion but the key here is to slow down and learn in a structured manner - if you do it by yourself and not with a course, unfortunately the internet is littered with misinformation that won't help. So think about doing something to enhance your learning and perhaps even give you a qualification.

I hope that helps.

aragon

Rough_Rock
Thank You LD here at kathmandu I had found one GIA certified LAB I am going there after 4 days and I am doing some study also from Internet and I will join jewellary university also.Nowdays I am so intrested about Gems and Jewellaries.

aragon

Rough_Rock
aragon|1359291527|3364768 said:
Thank You LD here at kathmandu I had found one color stone certified gemologist LAB I am going there after 4 days and I am doing some study also from Internet and I will join jewellary university also.Nowdays I am so intrested about Gems and Jewellaries.

aragon

Rough_Rock
Thank you CYIW :tongue: From this forum also I got some knowledge abou stone , Most important thing is Lab check. Thank you

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've now set yourself in the correct path in order to run an honest business. :appl: Good luck and keep us posted.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
With this stone I am also suspicious, the facet wear looks excessive for a Sapphire.
For it's size we are once again talking a small fortune.
With smaller labs that use standard equipment a stone may test Corundum, but it takes skill and experience to tell the difference between lab grown synthetic and natural.
Synthetic has been available for 120 years, and I have seen 80 year old piece's that people say "but it belonged to my grandmother, what do you mean it's fake"
At the very least you should travel to Bangkok and have them checked with one of these two labs.
The first is more preferable, and they can send it to the head office in Switzerland if needed.

http://www.ssef.ch/services/on-site-testing/bangkok/
http://www.aigsthailand.com/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DDOC|1472021963|4069369 said:
With this stone I am also suspicious, the facet wear looks excessive for a Sapphire.
For it's size we are once again talking a small fortune. With smaller labs that use standard equipment a stone may test Corundum, but it takes skill and experience to tell the difference between lab grown synthetic and natural. Synthetic has been available for 120 years, and I have seen 80 year old piece's that people say "but it belonged to my grandmother, what do you mean it's fake"
At the very least you should travel to Bangkok and have them checked with one of these two labs. The first is more preferable, and they can send it to the head office in Switzerland if needed.

http://www.ssef.ch/services/on-site-testing/bangkok/
http://www.aigsthailand.com/

I agree with all of the above.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results