shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire fluoro?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a black light pen, and in a fit of boredom I decided to see if any of my stones fluoresce. Well, my diamond gave off a faint blue, which I knew it would.

What surprised me is that my padparadscha lit up like a stop light. It turned a (vaguely disturbing) vivid glowing red.
Is this something I should be concerned about? Heh. I was just surprised because it's normally such a gentle delicate color, but it looks kind of possessed under UV.

It looks pink the the photos, but if you could see it, it's just a glowing glowing RED.

Does that mean there's Chromium in it?

IMG_7633.JPG

IMG_7638.JPG

IMG_7640.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww how sweet! I love fluor! I don't think it's anything to worry about. Mine does exactly the same (see below). It's really odd because when I got it, I noticed how it subtly changed colour in different lights (sometimes more pink / sometimes more peach). Quite by accident I tested for fluor and there it was! Chromium would be the likely suspect but I'm not sure if other components can cause it also.

Sapphire Pad Fluor.JPG

Sapphire Pad montage.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks LD!
Yes, that's exactly how mine looks too, haha.

When did you buy that sapphire? I don't seem to recall it. Is there a thread somewhere?
Hehe, our sapphires could be sisters! The "normal" color is nearly identical to mine, although you somehow managed to photograph it much better!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG I've just read the article you linked to. I wonder if because our sapphires have pink in their colour that they react more like Rubies?

I can't remember how long ago I bought mine. It was a very long time ago and I only recently had it set (into the triple Lanbo halo?). It's only a tiddler but it packs a punch and is a very interesting little gem! I don't know if there was ever a thread on it. It was definitely before this version of PS so may be consigned to the depths of PS'dom!

I've always thought there were similarities between our stones!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My light pink sapphire also fluoros

My blue sapphires have no fluoro at all, the one I got from Gary dutton changes to a bit more purple but thats it.

-A

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My pads also fluro, I love looking at them too. Aren't they beautiful when they do that?? In certain lighting they look like they glow within the stone too. :love:

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
After a friend showed me a blue sapphire that fluoresced red, I decided to check out some of my blues and whadda you know?

DSC02181.JPG

DSC02183.JPG

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
my interest was peaked so i pictured my sapphire pendent under blacklight-i was surprised by the results-attached-steve...

022.JPG

027.JPG

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Though certainly not definitive, strong fluorescence in a pink Sapphire/Ruby indicates strong Chromium without much or any iron, the recipe for synthetic ruby. I would check for reassuring inclusions. Best regards, Lee

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lee Little|1296836126|2842890 said:
Though certainly not definitive, strong fluorescence in a pink Sapphire/Ruby indicates strong Chromium without much or any iron, the recipe for synthetic ruby. I would check for reassuring inclusions. Best regards, Lee

Thank you Lee for the warning. Thankfully mine has a lab report and I think MTG's does also.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My light pink also has a lab report, though suspecting that its probably RUBY...lol My ruby cab also glows red too.

I always thought it was the blues that you had to really watch for.

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1296850419|2843164 said:
My light pink also has a lab report, though suspecting that its probably RUBY...lol My ruby cab also glows red too.

I always thought it was the blues that you had to really watch for.

-A

In terms of seeing red fluor on blues I'd agree.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results