shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire engagement rings for the bumbling idiot.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
imo, it is priced to reflect heat treatment......I sense you think you may be paying too much for this stone. having seen so many here go through searches for the "perfect" sapphire on a budget, well, I think you might want to really consider this as "the one". not saying it is but think about it long and hard before you reject it. it may not be there later.

has your GF seen it? what does she think?

it certainly is a parti-color like you are attracted to!

one thing those of us [me included!] have to remember is that there are always trade offs when it comes to having a beer budget but champagne taste: size, color, cut, etc all have to re-evaluated. yes, we all want the best our $ can buy but we also have to be realistic.

I realize you're new to all of this. sometimes you really do just have to go with your Gut Feeling. intellectualizing and quantifying it all can get one wound up in knots. is this a stone your GF is going to say "speaks to her"? is it a stone she will look at for 30 years and always love?

what do you think the odds are that you will find something better in your price range? how long will it take? do you have a deadline to meet with this? are you willing to look for another year? these are all factors to be considered.

you might find something better but I'm guessing it will take a very long time.....

gasdark

Rough_Rock
Yeah - I am almost certain that this is the stone I'm going to use. It's really very beautiful at the end of the day and it fits the bill both in terms of price, crafting and origin. Especially as I keep taking it out and looking at it in different lightings - it's very beautiful.

So, I need to move on to settings - I've looked at all of the suggestions made so far and haven't found exactly what I want - but I also haven't reached out to anyone yet aside from the place in Philly. I think I'm going to call a couple of the suggestions up thursday and get a sense of what my options are.

But any other NYC suggestions are well-appreciated.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is a good sign that you do like it when you keep taking it outside to look at it!
in many ways you got lucky very early in the "hunt".

setting is where I get into the bind: commitment.
yes, fear of commitment.
'cause there isn't a lot of room to make chances once one does that.
and you're "stuck" with it.
it also took me a long time to find someone that would work in 22K gold for my spess and shared my "vision".
the ring that was my "inspiration" looked very different from my end product.

take pictures with you to discuss with the bench jeweler that eventually makes your ring.
don't just talk to the front end/counter person.
make sure the bench person really does understand your vision.
the pictures will help you describe what you like and don't like.
give an impression of the look you're trying to achieve w/o being an exact copy of anything.
if you are artistic, sketch something out.

actually, the hard part now begins....finding the stone was the easy part. LOL! :lol:

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you're enjoying the stone. I can't wait to see it set!

You might want to start a new thread asking for NYC suggestions for what you're looking for.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be sure to find someone who has a lot of experience setting colored gems, even that means that the setter is different from the setting producer.

But first, you know should have some idea what you're looking for. For inspiration, look at Sholdt, Mae Vona, Etienne Perrett, Green Lake. They do fluid, modern, organic designs. They might be out of your price range, though. Google image search "swirl engagement ring" or other phrases that might bring up things you like. Go into the Show Me the Bling threads and just peruse. Try to go into jewelry stores. I think Greenwich Jewelers has a good selection in store. You might also just walk around the jewelry district and see if you see any settings that you like. Don't get caught up in the pressure. Just browse.

The least expensive route would be to find a stock setting that you like. If you do decide to go custom, depending on what you're going for, different options will be better.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Gabriel makes quality settings at good prices. They can be ordered through a jeweler, who can the stone. Some you might like:
https://bridal.gabrielny.com/?customer=&page=1&display=grid&sortby=LH&perpage=22&attCategory[attCategoryER]=37&attStoneHeadshape[attStoneHeadshapeRD]=254&attStyle[attStyleBYPASS]=56&attMetal[attMetalW0W4W8]=237%3A238%3A239

https://bridal.gabrielny.com/?customer=&page=1&display=grid&sortby=LH&perpage=22&attCategory[attCategoryER]=37&attStoneHeadshape[attStoneHeadshapeRD]=254&attStyle[attStyleCRISSCROSS]=62&attMetal[attMetalW0W4W8]=237%3A238%3A239

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, Yes, YES: getting a color stone set requires a bench person with color stone setting experience, not diamonds!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results