shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire carat size on a size 5 finger, help/ photos?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Hi pricescopers,

I''m still on the hunt for a pink sapphire RHR as my first fine jewelry purchase. I am also considering winza rubies and lake baringo rubies (which is what Jeff White suggested after I described the intense pink that I''m after... For the record, I''m after a vivid fuschia or redish pink with some purple). But, enough about color, I''m wondering about sapphire carat size in relation to ring finger size. I know that sapphires look smaller than diamonds because of their specific gravity, but I don''t want anything too small or too large for my size 5 ring finger. I''m considering a 6x6mm cushion shape.... How does that sound? Do any of you have pictures of a 6x6 cushion shape sapphire on a size 5 finger so that I can visualize it?

Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey gempassion - I think you may not be getting lots of answers as its a very specific request
5.gif

Mine doesn't match your specs exactly, but pretty close so I will post anyways.
Ring size 5.25
Ct weight 2.02cts
measures 6.4 x 7.3mm

This sapph is a precision cut by Jeff White - whether it is precision or "native" cut will make a difference to the ct weight in proportion to the mm.

handshot and thread here

Considering my finger is a tad larger than yours, and my stone a tad larger - I would think you could take this as pretty close to what a 6x6 on a size 5 could look like, yes?
I think it will be a very decent size.

Any idea if you will choose a precision cut?

DSC06064rs3.JPG

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not a cushion but it is an 8 x 6 oval pink sapphire on a size 5 finger.........

cmspnkrng005.jpg

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
This is a cushion cut with dimensions of 7.42 x 6.02 in a size 5.5 ring, 1.8 carats. Sorry I don''t have a better close up shot. I would say stones of this size are far from gaudy
1.gif

ringpic331.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Since you have a millimeter by millimeter size you''re interested in, you could look at any other gem or diamond in that size. By carat weight, yes, sapphires will look smaller than a diamond if all other things are constant; but 6x6mm diamond/gem and sapphire will have the same dimensions and a similar presence on your hand.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you arjunajane, Catmom, Vinkalmann, and IndyLady!

arjunajane: I looked at your thread and your story sounds lovely. Yes, I am considering a custom, precision cut sapphire since it is fairly difficult to find a cushion in the pink that I am interested in.

IndyLady: You''re very right that the mmxmm is a standard measurement... I suppose that the best thing to do would be to try on a few rings in a shop.

I know that I want a sapphire for their hardness and durability... I have no idea why I am particularly attracted to pink right now, but I am.

Thank you for all the pictures, they are very, very helpful!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
This Gemrite Winza sapphire is a little more than 6mm, but not a cushion. Here is the link just in case you''re willing to take a look at rounds. Its really gorgeous and an intense pink.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Indylady,

That sapphire surely is beautiful but I do have my heart set on a cushion. I think that I''ve found a cutter who will source what I''m looking for.

Thank you kindly for the link,
Gempassion

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to hear that! I can''t wait to see the finished sapphire; rubies and pink sapphires are one of my favorite gems.

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
I had not come across the Gemrite website yet, it seems like a good one.

Yes, I will definitely post some pictures of the ring project once it''s done with (it may take a while though).

Best,
Gempassion

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
This is my 7.6 x 5.9, ring size is 6 on that hand (usually wear it on my right hand, but to take pics I need to have it on the left hand XD).

IMG_1443sized.jpg

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Tigerhearted (and everyone else again),

According to everyones pictures, I think that I can safely go up to 7mm (especially considering that I want a solitaire ring).

Happy long weekend!
Gempassion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results