shape
carat
color
clarity

Russian Demantoid Garnet ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous, but I'm not crazy about the horsetail inclusions. When they have too many, they cloud up the stone, and although the color is pretty, it looks cloudy to me. Maybe it's just a bad photograph or I need to see a shrink.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
you''re right- there seems to be a lot of horsetail inclusions, but the color is nice.
41.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is nice, and don''t kill me, but the prongs are "eating the stone." I would have used smaller prongs. Again, perhaps I need a shrink.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/19/2008 8:31:34 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
The color is nice, and don''t kill me, but the prongs are ''eating the stone.'' I would have used smaller prongs. Again, perhaps I need a shrink.
The prongs need to shrink
2.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! Hey... it is on sale for a little over $10k....!! I will take 2 of them!!
3.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
The color is very pretty but the prongs do seem to overpower the stone. I don''t imagine that the inclusions are that apparent in person though. My demantoid has a horsetail inclusion that can be seen with the naked eye but it doesn''t dominate the stone really.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's good to have a small amount of horsetail inclusions in the stone to validate it's Russian authenticity. However, that being said, it also detracts from the value if you have so many that they're clouding up the stone. Even if the horsetail inclusion is microscopic, that's a good thing, it doesn't have to be seen with the naked eye to identify the stone as Russian. However, I now think that some stones coming out of the Middleast also have horsetail inclusions, so someone please clarify if I'm wrong. I have a Russian stone with microscopic horsetail inclusions. It's one of the few stones in the colored stone world where you want to have an inclusion (the Russian stones anyways). My African stone is not included, and the inclusions that do exist in those stones are not desirable.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
horsetail inclusions are a sign of quality....and that it really is a demontoid from russia. a stone without them is not considered noteworthy. however, i''m not sure how many horsetails is considered desireable.

movie zombie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, we''ve torn apart this poor ring and its center stone, haven''t we?!! LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results