shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby or Sapphire

If price were not a factor, would you rather own a ruby or sapphire?

• Sapphire

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • Ruby

Votes: 27 50.9%

• Total voters

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha - nearly, Athena, but something like one of these rubies is what I really want to own some day. Red is such a captivating colour, while I find blue to be more.... docile. I don't think that makes sense but it does in my mind. :twirl:

burmese-ruby-gemstone-rub-00336-l.jpg

loose-burma-rubies-gemstone-rub-00319-l_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
red just has a sexiness to me that blue lacks. Much more... exotic, maybe?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1395505381|3639390 said:
red just has a sexiness to me that blue lacks. Much more... exotic, maybe?

Passionate?
Seductive?
Dominant?

Red and green stones are my favourite. :saint:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes this is a spinel but this is what id be after.

screen_shot_2014-03-25_at_9.png

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
Can the sapphire be any color, or does it have to be blue? Actually, even though I do like rubies, I think its easier to find a nice, clean, bright sapphire than an equally nice, clean, bright ruby, and if you do find a nice, clean, bright ruby, its a rarity for the most part. Obviously, in general, a fully transparent, eye clean ruby is more valuable than same-grade sapphires of some colors, like yellow for instance, but it seems that sapphires, on average, are brighter, shinier and have more fire. Most rubies out there are either completely opaque or only partially transparent. Only the top 1/10th of 1% are fully transparent, and they are rare! But then again, that makes a truly nice ruby a thing to behold!

I was looking at a wonderful Padparadscha sapphire earlier today, and it was fantastic. Super bright, lustrous, clean, beautiful(but small at 1.3cts)

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1395796738|3641398 said:
yes this is a spinel but this is what id be after.

When I first saw that picture, but before reading your post, I was thinking it was too clean to be a ruby. But then I saw "spinel". Its tough to find a nice, clean, fully red spinel too, but when you do, they are nice! But I am a sucker for nice spinels of any color...

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ruby star, without a second choice. Best regards, Lee

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
i know you said we could only pick one ...

my first choice (for any gemstone, including diamond) is sapphire, just because blue is my favorite color.

my second is ruby. and i while i haven't finalized my thoughts yet by any means, i am thinking i will go for either a star or sugarloaf cab, just to mix it up a bit. we'll see ...

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock
LoversKites|1395502611|3639371 said:
Hahaha - nearly, Athena, but something like one of these rubies is what I really want to own some day. Red is such a captivating colour, while I find blue to be more.... docile. I don't think that makes sense but it does in my mind. :twirl:

^Those 2 rubies could change my vote here! Can I re-vote?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results