shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby jewelry

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is it possible to find good pre-set ruby jewelry for around $500? I recently lost someone very dear to me and his birthday was in July. I'd like to get something ruby to remember him by, but can't go much higher than $500. Am I kidding myself?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1291859113|2791645 said:
Is it possible to find good pre-set ruby jewelry for around $500? I recently lost someone very dear to me and his birthday was in July. I'd like to get something ruby to remember him by, but can't go much higher than $500. Am I kidding myself?

Hi Athenaworth :wavey:

Is this about your poor kitty? I hope you feel better soon. :((

I don't know a lot of pre-made jewelry sources, but I do sometimes buy from Costco.com. All their diamonds are VS2 and I or better, even their melee. They have some nice pieces in your budget.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&search=ruby&N=0&Ntt=ruby&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US

I emailed the diamond buyer and asked very specifically about treatments, and she said they accept heat only. I didn't push it and ask if that includes only heat without beryllium, because their prices are good and sometimes you just don't want to see behind the curtain. :naughty:

If you order something and don't like it, you can return it to any Costco as long as you have the little appraisal paper, or send it back. No time limit on returns.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's possible to fine preset sapphires, emeralds and rubies for $500, but they won't be high quality, and they may be lead glass filed, synthetic, or diffused (dyed), and if not, they would have a brown mask and/or be opaque and very small. Like any gem, there are poor, good, and more fine (expensive) qualities. It depends on what you want and what treatments you're willing to accept.

ILander, Costco doesn't fully disclose their treatments, so if it's heated, assume diffused, or lead glass filled too.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much. Yeah, Dude is the one with the July birthday. I'm thinking of either a ruby or a "D" tattoo. Maybe both. Those are pretty options.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
However if you do as many here do, that is source the stone yourself and then find a setting for it and have a good bench jewler set the stone, you can get much better while staying in your budget. That also makes for a more personal momento. You want a ruby because that was the birthstone of the one you lost. Rubies in that price range are almost always treated. Are you ok with treatments? Are there any that you will accept and/or any that you would not? Many people in this forum like spinel, not just as ruby alternative. For a very long time red spinels were rubies, it wasn't until spinel was discovered to be a mineral in its own right that they were separated. Since the birthsone designations predate the separation of ruby and spinel by millenia, maybe a spinel would be a good alternate choice; a compromise without a loss.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1291865152|2791734 said:

I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's possible to fine preset sapphires, emeralds and rubies for $500, but they won't be high quality, and they may be lead glass filed, synthetic, or diffused (dyed), and if not, they would have a brown mask and/or be opaque and very small. Like any gem, there are poor, good, and more fine (expensive) qualities. It depends on what you want and what treatments you're willing to accept.

ILander, Costco doesn't fully disclose their treatments, so if it's heated, assume diffused, or lead glass filled too.

Well, I did ask the Costco buyer specifically about filled and diffused, and her quote was "We only accept traditional heat". I believe her, because they are fully stocked with a whole team of GG's, but I also assume they wouldn't have the equipment to detect beryllium. I have a lot of clients who sell to Costco and let me tell, nobody-but nobody- would do anything to jeopardize a Costco account. There was a short period when Costco refused to sell Coco-Cola because Coke asked for a price increase. Those of us who work on the sidelines gasped. It was a battle of the titans. Costco prevailed and held off the increase, at least for now. They are the 5,000 lb gorilla in retail.

That being said, I agree, TL, that their stones are not the best for color, cut or clarity, but occasionally you can hit it lucky. And if you don't, they have the liberal endless return policy. I've kept about 80% of the jewelry that I've ordered from them.

Plus, it's the only place I could think of for pre-set rubies . . . :oops:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense to Costco, or you either iLander, but I would not accept anyone's "word" for treatment. I would want a reputable lab report. They use IGI, and I saw a sapphire there, it was $29,000 :shock: (expensive for Costco), and all the IGI report stated about the treatment was that "sapphires are commonly treated." Okay, so what treatment? Was this one treated? Um, am I supposed to guess? :confused: That was disconcerting to me, especially for the price. I also don't trust buyers of gems/jewelry for even large corporations to always know what they're doing. I found a pink CZ at CD Peacock (an old and supposedly reputable jewelry store), and they insisted it was a natural stone, they do not sell fake stones, and it was a tourmaline. It screamed CZ - it was machine cut, and had the luster, and RI and fire of a CZ (think pink ice) but I couldn't argue with them. They said their buyer bought it as pink tourmaline. I guessed that it was simulated pink tourmaline and the buyer didn't know any better.

Well, like you said, at least the return policy is good. Just make sure you get what you pay for. They also have synthetic rubies, and other gems as a more affordable alternative, and at least you know what you're getting for sure there.

Sorry for the tread hijack.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1291865900|2791752 said:
However if you do as many here do, that is source the stone yourself and then find a setting for it and have a good bench jewler set the stone, you can get much better while staying in your budget. That also makes for a more personal momento. You want a ruby because that was the birthstone of the one you lost. Rubies in that price range are almost always treated. Are you ok with treatments? Are there any that you will accept and/or any that you would not? Many people in this forum like spinel, not just as ruby alternative. For a very long time red spinels were rubies, it wasn't until spinel was discovered to be a mineral in its own right that they were separated. Since the birthsone designations predate the separation of ruby and spinel by millenia, maybe a spinel would be a good alternate choice; a compromise without a loss.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I believe Tan has some totally untreated (because they're not?) deep red spinels that are beautiful. The Mogul emperors loved spinels and had beautiful pieces. The Black Prince's ruby turned out to be a spinel. I think even today spinels are way underrated.

http://www.odysseygem.com/Gem_Shop/product_info.php?products_id=1099

iLander

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1291867141|2791779 said:
No offense to Costco, or you either iLander, but I would not accept anyone's "word" for treatment. I would want a reputable lab report. They use IGI, and I saw a sapphire there, it was $29,000 :shock: (expensive for Costco), and all the IGI report stated about the treatment was that "sapphires are commonly treated." Okay, so what treatment? Was this one treated? Um, am I supposed to guess? :confused: That was disconcerting to me, especially for the price. I also don't trust buyers of gems/jewelry for even large corporations to always know what they're doing. I found a pink CZ at CD Peacock (an old and supposedly reputable jewelry store), and they insisted it was a natural stone, they do not sell fake stones, and it was a tourmaline. It screamed CZ - it was machine cut, and had the luster, and RI and fire of a CZ (think pink ice) but I couldn't argue with them. They said their buyer bought it as pink tourmaline. I guessed that it was simulated pink tourmaline and the buyer didn't know any better.

Well, like you said, at least the return policy is good. Just make sure you get what you pay for. They also have synthetic rubies, and other gems as a more affordable alternative, and at least you know what you're getting for sure there.

Sorry for the tread hijack.

No offense taken, TL. You're right, a lab report is the only way to know the full truth, and even then it has to be a good lab. And I agree Costco doesn't do colored gems particularly well, I feel many are WAY overpriced for what they are. But, because of the return policy, I like them better than Blue Nile, Tiffany's or Natural Sapphire Co, any day. And if it's B&M retailers, they are way better than Zales, Kay, or any of those mall guys. :rolleyes:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Really nice pendant, LG, good catch. Something like that would be a great memento, Athenaworth. All my best thoughts to you; it's a tough thing to handle, I know from too many of my own losses. Wearing that near your heart would help, maybe.

--- Laurie

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got this on ebay today, here are the specs:

This pre-owned ring in superb pristine condition features the loveliest rose gold band with scroll work detailing on the sides and approximately 1.7 ct tw of eye clean and clear channel set rubies interspersed with small round brilliant diamonds.. This is a true beauty! Exquisite to the point that we tempted to keep it for ourselves. Rubies are so romantic, after all! Here's what we know:
* Approx. 1.7 ct tw natural rubes of excellent clarity.
* Rubies measure approximately 2mm each.
* Width of shank is approximately 3.5 mm.
* Gold weighs 3.1 grams.

ruby-eternity-band1.jpg

ruby-eternity-band2.jpg

ruby-eternity-band8.jpg

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
That's a beautiful band! I hope you post more pics when you receive it, I'd love to see hand shots :) I'm an eternity band lover, and that one is amazing.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I think that is a lovely remembrance of your kitty. By the way, your avatar is so cute!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got it! These are bad iPhone pics, but I thought I'd share anyway

Ruby4.JPG

ruby.JPG

Ruby2.JPG

Ruby5.JPG

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
O, WOW!!!!
WONDERFUL ring! A beautiful remembrance!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Athenaworth;

I think your ring is very elegant and lovely; what a wonderful piece to remind you of such a good and loyal friend. :appl:

Most respectfully and Merry Christmas to All;

Dana M. Reynolds, csmg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry for the loss of your furbaby, Athenaworth, but this lovely ring is a sweet memento, and I hope it gives you many years of pleasure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results