shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby engagement ring

Deviantaj

Rough_Rock
I know I should've done this before, but I was shopping for a ruby for an engagement ring. I wanted something a little different and I am from an Asian background where rubies are a little more treasured than diamonds.

I bought this stone from an online vendor who was very helpful and friendly, I actually bought a larger lower quality stone for cheaper but wanted to upgrade to something that had better clarity instead of size. What is the value of a stone of this caliber ? And would this make a good engagement ring? My girlfriend is a very humble girl with no real expectations or $$ range, and that kind of made me want to get the best I could afford for her, I want her to have something like this mainly because she would never expect it lol. Total budget is around 12k with making the ring. (I've been quoted that for everything basically).

2.15 carat Mozambique unheated untreated

7.46 mm x 6.16mm x 5.06 mm

The seller is a very nice man. He never pressured me to upgrade and even told me the first ruby would make a great ring (almost half the price). But I've never thought about these things before and am very new to this, would love some expert opinions.

Thanks,

Deviantaj

_6593.jpg

_6594.jpg

Deviantaj

Rough_Rock
I'm basically going to make a ring like this but with smaller halo diamonds I want to frame and accentuate the ruby not detract.

Thanks!

_6595.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would want to see a report saying it was unheated/ untreated. For a 2ct plus ruby it should be much more!!!!

I also think the vendor used very bright lightening in their photos- see how shiney the metal is on the tweezers reflecting the light. I would expect the ruby to be much darker in real life.

However, I'm not an expert in CS so I will let the others weigh in- just my .02.

I will say I think the setting is very pretty. If you want a more delicate halo I would go more Harry Winston style though with micropave. I think that would look amazing with a colored stone! Please don't take this the wrong way but the halo you linked to is very 1980's to me as they were extremly popular then. I think they look nice but for an ering i would do something more classic.

Deviantaj

Rough_Rock
It has a GRS report? Saying its unheated. The ring
Trying to make is more like this one with smaller diamonds. I thought it was a little older style, but I kind of liked it :p. I'm gettin 5 diamonds on either side as well. Very small ones.

_6598.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That looks awfully clean and awfully red for $12k. Can you post some of your own photos?

Also, are you thinking smaller stones to make the setting look more like this?

leonr1326_007ww.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please post the GRS memo and your pictures of the ruby? Something doesn't add up for me.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1369354795|3452755 said:
Can you please post the GRS memo and your pictures of the ruby? Something doesn't add up for me.

Oh good so glad you said it and not me. I dont' have the experience or knowledge you have Chrono, but after this post I walked away thinking something was wayyyyyy off for that price, but then edited my comments as I just didn't want to post incorrect info.

And OP for what it is worth the setting the Freke linked to is a Harry Winston Inspired halo that I mentioned before. I think it would look lovely with a ruby.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I wonder if this seller is from Thailand. I inquired about a beautiful pink spinel that looked exactly like the photo with the ruby between the fingers. One problem with putting a stone between the fingers is it covers or hides a window, which I think is what the stone has. Its a bit too red. The thai seller was very nice and did admit to the window in the stone when asked. Proceed with caution.

Annette

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
This is all very interesting to me, especially that there is a Swiss Labs report. I have a ruby engagement ring, and respect the report from Dr Peretti. Richard Sherwood then appraised the stone, and assured me that the report from Swiss Labs is excellent. I'm with Chrono here, I'd love to see the report. Something seems off here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been a week with no response from the OP. Did we scare him off? Did we upset him when we expressed our concern about the quality as stated by the vendor?

Deviantaj

Rough_Rock
Sorry I did get a little side tracked with work, and maybe a little scared off. LOL this is very new to me, and I was a little worried at first of not knowing much about what I was getting into.

I'm relatively intelligent and did my research and looked around and really trusted this gentleman and his company from the reviews and way he handled himself with me just wanted an opinion from a community that really loves and knows their diamond and jewellry =).

Here is the report,

I'm in the midst of making the ring, I don't have the ruby on me at the moment, I will upload pics once I do have it in my posession.

Thanks,

ruby_grs.jpg

Deviantaj

Rough_Rock
ring is complete! I think it came out nicer than even I imagined! =) Just waiting to have it in my possession now!

_6963.jpg

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Wow. That looks great. Can't wait to see in-person photos.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring came out well. May I ask where you found the setting and who set it for you?

Oh and one more question: when will you pop the question? :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is so pretty! The halo is in good proportion to the stone to highlight it without competing. Any prospective bride would be thrilled with it! Congratulations in advance.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

It turned out beautiful. Your lady will be very happy. Congrats.

Annette

Deviantaj

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I'm waiting to get it in my possession and looking to get it appraised and the ruby assessed. What's the best way to go about doing that? I live in Toronto, anyone know any reputable companies I could get that done at and at what costs?

As far as the proposal, I was initially planning on doing it in India for a trip we were planning on taking together, but that had gotten cancelled for now (too many other expenses at the moment).

But I would like to do it very soon, I think I want to take her to a cottage or for an overnight or 2 night portage camping trip. Just me and her. I have this beautiful dress id love for her to wear, I like to cook, and want to cook a little bit of a fancier meal one night, maybe somehow light a bunch of candles in our sitting area by the water or woods and maybe put on a suit or dress clothes and pop the question. In my mind it sounds nice, but I don't know how feasible it is on a portaging trip. but I dont plan to go too far deep into the woods, just an hour or so.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, sounds ambitious, but romantic - good luck!

Now that you are pleased and the outcome is a good one, can you please share the stone vendor as well as where you found the setting and had it set? PSers are always looking for new sources. :))

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats, your ring turned out even better than your inspiration photos. Love the halo. Can I also second the question about the setting and where you had it made? Was it someone in Toronto? I'm in Montreal, so it's a useful reference for me.

Proposing on a camping trip sounds like a great idea. But I would get super suspicious if my boyfriend took me camping and asked me to put on a dress for a home cooked dinner (unless you do this kind of thing very often). How about booking a chalet in the mountains? I know some ski resorts offer luxury accommodation at big discounts in summer, and there are shops and restaurants open in the village. In this kind of setting, you two could dress up for a stroll and it wouldn't feel strange, and when you pop the question, it will be a total surprise :)

Deviantaj

Rough_Rock
Everything was purchased from www.Starruby.in

The owner son Harshil Zaveri responds to the emails, he is a very nice and accommodating man. I had MANY questions and concerns and he patiently answered them and provided me with his guidance and advice.

The setting was actually designed by myself and through correspondence with Harshil. I sent him what I was looking for, he made suggestions, I made modifications and so forth till I was happy with my choices, and couldn't have been more pleased with the results!

I will post pics once I can take some when I have the ring on me. But I really believe and hope it will look as stunning in person as in the photos and be true to the posted images. I personally will definitely return to Harshil for any future jewellery purchases.
Thanks,

AJ

_6997.jpg

_6998.jpg

_6999.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, thanks. That is who I thought and was hoping it was - they've had generally positive but some mixed reviews on here, so I'm happy that you have nothing but positive to say. :))

Deviantaj

Rough_Rock
Here are some pictures of the ring in my possession with the matching wedding band. The picture isn't the greatest but it was taken outdoors with my iphone. The colour is very true to life. I'm really impressed with the stone and the jewellery looking to get it appraised shortly!

ring_74.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a gorgeous ruby!! Congrats!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my.. your ruby ring is GORGEOUS!!! Truly fit for a queen. :halo: Good luck.. she will be thrilled!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the upcoming engagement and ring.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhhmazing ruby and ring, I will keep him in mind as a Ruby is my next big purchase, it's my birthstone and I have been wanting an untreated one.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
The redness of your ruby is amazing. I love it! Congrats on your upcoming engagement.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results