shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby E-Ring Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redsoxer

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I have a tough decision and want to ask the experts.

I''ve inherited a 1.9ct cushion ruby that''s perfect in every way and want to build our e-ring around it.

For now, however, I need a temporary solitaire setting so we can enjoy it and show it off.

So, would you recommend a yellow or white gold solitaire setting (or a white/yellow combo), and why?

I''m torn between the various options, so your input is appreciated.

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an expert, but yellow is to encourage more red stones, so therefore it is used a lot.

White is said to encourage pink tones, but it''s just a personal preference.
I''ve seen alot of people on here that do not like the look of yellow just use a yellow gold head with a white band, I believe Widget has a ring like that...
It''s a personal preference, but I would use a combo, because I''m not a yellow fan.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I love the way the red stands out against a silver background. I vote for wg.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Most people like the warm to warm color. WG to Blue, Green vs YG to red and Orange... Personally, I LOVE LOVE the Hot and Cool colors together. BUT it is defenitely personaly preference. I am not opposed to YG per se, I think I just prefer the cold and warm stone look.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I also think that the cool metal and warm stone is a more modern look, while warm with warm is more antiquey. But the cool with the warm seems to make the stone pop a lot more!

*M*

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer yellow gold with rubies. I think it's a beautiful combination, especially with a very red ruby. I have an antique yellow gold setting that I hope to put a ruby in someday.

But, I tend to prefer yellow gold over silver/white gold/platinum anyway. White metals look too cold to me.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any pictures/specs on your ruby?

We''d love to see it!

PS How about white metal setting with yellow gold claw prongs?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Redsoxer and WELCOME to Pricescope!
35.gif

Both are beautiful. I''m not clear if you are the guy or the gal in all of this, but if you are the guy, think about what color gold your GF wears most. Is she a WG or YG kind of gal?

If she wears no jewelry ever, think about her skin tone and what you think would look best on her.

The stakes aren''t too high fortunately if this setting is just temporary - Whew!

redsoxer

Rough_Rock
Hi all.

To answer some questions:

I''m the groom to be, and am hoping for some small amount of surprise, so we haven''t discussed metals/colors. I know she''s cool with rubies, so that''s covered. And, since it''s a temporary setting, there''s some slack. But, I''m sure she''ll show it to everyone once she gets it.

Good point about her skin-tone. She''s moderately light skinned (Irish mix) but not pale. Doest that indicate that yellow or white woule be better?

She seems to wear silver and gold with about the same frequency. I''ll pay more attention to see if there''s a pattern. Thanks for the tip.

I hear your points about white being more contrasty and gold being warmer. That''s what I''m feeling as well.

I don''t have a digicam, but here are the specs. Oblong cushion, vivid red. I''d call it oval. very slight inclusion, but sparkly.

All this leads to a few follow up questions:

1) Is there a normal dimension for mounting an oval (say 7x6). Parallel to the band or perpindicular?
2) What are the thoughts on a white gold band with yellow mount? Two-tone doesn''t appeal to me, but I''ve never paid much attention, and maybe I see them and never take notice.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fair Irish, white people who properly should be called pink? If so, probably white.

If she wears both white and yellow, don't see any real reason to pick one or the other.

Snoop through her makeup and wardrobe. Or is that too much to ask of a man?
17.gif

I don't think it matters too much for now.

Personally, I'd go with yellow, but YG looks better on me than white does.

Usually set with the long side perpendicular to ring.

Two tone is usually not noticeable to the average person not thinking about engagement.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Redsoxer.

I think the idea of a WG band and YG mount is a great idea. If she wears both colors, the ring will blend with everything. The WG, as Julie suggests, may go better with her skin, but the yellow will bring out the warmth in the ruby.

Then the both of you together can decide later on a final setting. Sounds fun!

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Yellow gold prongs with white gold or platinum setting! The yellow gold will bring out the and deepen the red of the ruby and the white metal will contrast, and enhance diamond side stones if you go that way. Yellow gold prongs also blend into the stone a bit more than white would.

I love the look of half moon diamonds against oval or cushion cut rubies, if you are considering side stones, say 40 points each for that size ruby.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results