shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubies... what's going on here?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Something isn't quite right or do I have the wrong end of the stick again?

Richard Wise is a well respected coloured stone vendor who retired from retail operations late last year and apparently sold (some of) his remaining inventory to Laurie Donovan. At least he refers people to that website for enquiries about any remaining stones found on his website.

So in an effort to help on another ruby thread, I went to Richard's site and saw that the 1.42ct Burmese cushion was unsold on his site. So I went to Laurie's site where what appears to be Richard's photos and description for the 1.42ct against a 1.00ct Burmese ruby (much smaller) for a third of the price! :angryfire:

The plot thickens when I see Richard's photo for the 2.09ct Burmese is being shown on Laurie's site against a 1.15ct round. The 1.15ct on Richard's site has sold against it. :nono:

IF Laurie Donovan is using Richard's photos and descriptions against other stones because he/she bought some inventory from Richard, I think this is what we PSers deplore in the extreme and deserves to be called on it.

Am I wrong?

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh dear - that's not good. You are right, the photos are the same, I think.

Something not right here - someone's playing fast and loose with those pictures, I think.

:liar:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
You are right but I think I have a deja vu???

I think it is not the first time this was discussed??? Am I wrong????

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, he might have listed them as "sold," because Laurie bought that inventory, and he no longer sells. However, it's strange she's selling them for far less, and with smaller carat weights. That's what I don't understand. One should note that the mm sizes are off as well. The round, for example, is listed at 6.1mm on her site, and 6.7mm on his site.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Marlow and LK, I obviously missed that thread first time around.

Tl - you could be right but both the cushion and oval are still listed as available on Richard's site. That would perhaps make sense if those same stones were listed on Laurie's site with their own pictures and descriptions.

Unfortunately (as you have picked up), using Richard's pictures and in two cases his description, leads people to believe they are the same stones on Laurie's site when size, weight and price indicate they are clearly not. I personally find this highly deceptive.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1410703048|3750804 said:
Tl - you could be right but both the cushion and oval are still listed as available on Richard's site.

Hmmmm, that I did not know (oversight). I see only the round that you mention is listed as "sold," but not the cushion. Is he even still selling stones off of his website???? I thought they were all going through Laurie now.

Very odd, maybe there's a good explanation, or some mistake. What is strange to me is that Laurie doesn't list the GRS report or mention they have a report, but RW's site shows the reports. Maybe someone can ask her about that????

The round is on Laurie's site, but listed as sold on RW's site. Different carat weight and measurements on both sites.

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id%7C1037

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
TL - sorry but I still don't think you've quite grasped what I've been saying. She's using the pictures like stock photos for rubies of that shape that she holds. The stones she is selling against those pictures are not the same stones listed on Richard's site against those pictures.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1410744319|3751040 said:
TL - sorry but I still don't think you've quite grasped what I've been saying. She's using the pictures like stock photos for rubies of that shape that she holds. The stones she is selling against those pictures are not the same stones listed on Richard's site against those pictures.

I get it, but I would double check with her. Maybe there's an explanation, or a mistake in her listings. I would like to give the benefit of the doubt, or at least call her out on it if she doesn't give an adequate response.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
All good then. Since I'm not in the market for a ruby, I won't be chasing her on it. I just felt it was worth bringing to the forum's attention.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1410745933|3751047 said:
I just felt it was worth bringing to the forum's attention.

I understand. Thank you for doing that. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results