carat
color
clarity

Rubellite?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would this be considered a Rubellite?
Barry describes it as "This tourmaline from Mozambique has a rare and exceptional pinkish red color. It is flawless at 10x. "

t-7066g_2008_general.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone. It's my understanding that a rubellite holds its color in different lighting. You'd have to ask Barry, but if he doesn't call it a rubellite, it probably isn't.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1300936965|2878671 said:
Pretty stone. It's my understanding that a rubellite holds its color in different lighting. You'd have to ask Barry, but if he doesn't call it a rubellite, it probably isn't.

Some collectors will argue on the merits if it has to hold it's color in all lighting to be a true rubellite. Rubellite is just the marketing term for "red tourmaline" so if you see it's red, and it's also a tourmaline, then it's a rubellite, at least in my book. To me, that looks like rubellite.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Ooohhh it's beautiful. That seductive magenta/hot pinkish red colour looks rubellite to me...

see if displays some brownish tinge under incandescent light. If it remains pink, then I guess u can label/call it as "rubellite" :twirl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just about a marketing names these days but that doesn't help the poor regular consumer, doesn't it? As long as it shows some red, it's a rubellite, hence the meaning of the name "ruby like". Red is a dark toned pink. Whether it holds its colour or not is altogether a different matter.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1300968053|2878782 said:
Just about a marketing names these days but that doesn't help the poor regular consumer, doesn't it? As long as it shows some red, it's a rubellite, hence the meaning of the name "ruby like". Red is a dark toned pink. Whether it holds its colour or not is altogether a different matter.

ITA with the bolded.

-A

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1300968053|2878782 said:

Ditto this.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry tends to shy away from the "marketing" terms, which I appreciate as it makes things less confusing. He typically just lists the stone type, and sometimes the location if he knows it.

When I asked him, he said it looks amazing in natural light. What kind of lighting does most tourmaline lose its color in?

I don't really place much importance in the labels, I just bought it because the color jumped at me, but I was still curious. :D

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a very pretty stone and color. IMO that is the color I would expect to see a rubellite.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1301021237|2879676 said:
Barry tends to shy away from the "marketing" terms, which I appreciate as it makes things less confusing. He typically just lists the stone type, and sometimes the location if he knows it.

When I asked him, he said it looks amazing in natural light. What kind of lighting does most tourmaline lose its color in?

I don't really place much importance in the labels, I just bought it because the color jumped at me, but I was still curious. :D
Take a look at it in incandescent or other indoor lighting. It may tend to go brown.

Another link on the subject--

http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/about-rubellite.php

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1301061069|2879933 said:
MakingTheGrade|1301021237|2879676 said:

Take a look at it in incandescent or other indoor lighting. It may tend to go brown.

Another link on the subject--

http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/about-rubellite.php

Did he say how it looks in incandescent light? Flygirl is correct as pink/red family tourmalines tend to "brown out" in incandescent light.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
tourmaline_lover|1301062187|2879945 said:
Did he say how it looks in incandescent light? Flygirl is correct as pink/red family tourmalines tend to "brown out" in incandescent light.

I wasn't sure that I believed this and so got out a box of rough pinks and red tourmalines and had a look. The end result is that you're right , some of them do turn brownish under incandescent light. After a bit of messing around with this it turns out that those pink/red tourmalines which turn brownish to some degree are those which have a green tint, typically on the A-B axis. The increased red/orange color in the incandescent light interacting with the green component in the gem is perceived by our eyes as brown. Cool. I think that the reason that most rubellite's don't turn brown is that they have the same colors on all axes or pale cross axes and so any brown just gets overwhelmed by the increased red displayed in incandescent lighting. The downside is that I have a few distinctly greenish cross axis pink tourmalines that just became mineral specimens. :nono:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael_E|1301073574|2880126 said:

I wasn't sure that I believed this and so got out a box of rough pinks and red tourmalines and had a look. The end result is that you're right , some of them do turn brownish under incandescent light. After a bit of messing around with this it turns out that those pink/red tourmalines which turn brownish to some degree are those which have a green tint, typically on the A-B axis. The increased red/orange color in the incandescent light interacting with the green component in the gem is perceived by our eyes as brown. Cool. I think that the reason that most rubellite's don't turn brown is that they have the same colors on all axes or pale cross axes and so any brown just gets overwhelmed by the increased red displayed in incandescent lighting. The downside is that I have a few distinctly greenish cross axis pink tourmalines that just became mineral specimens. :nono:

Pink/red family tourmalines, in my experience, tend to turn more orange and/or brownish under incandescent light. Some vendors call them color shift tourmalines to make them sound more marketable, but in the trade, pink/red family tourmalines that hold their pink color under incandescent lighting, are more desirable and valuable (if the gem is natural in color that is). I would beg to differ that most red/pink family tourmalines do not color shift to a more orange/brown color, as the ones that do hold their color are more rare. However, with the advent of treatment, there may be more pink/red family tourmalines on the market that do hold their color.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Michael_E|1301073574|2880126 said:

Thanks for the observations, Michael. That makes a lot of sense.

I should think that someone might still be interested in your "mineral specimens". Color changers can be interesting stones. I have to keep reminding myself that my Mahenge spinel, which is hot pink in all lighting, is very special. You kind of forget how unusual that is when it always looks the same. :))

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
hmmm, this might be an additional reference:

http://www.gemstone.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111:sapphire&catid=1:gem-by-gem&Itemid=14

"...There are red and pink tourmalines in many nuances, which include a tender pink, a fine shocking pink, an intense violet and a bold ruby-red. However, only a few of these are entitled to call themselves 'rubellites'. The name comes from the Latin 'rubellus', which means reddish. Rubellites are not merely red or shocking pink tourmalines. There is an important criterion for this especially beautiful gemstone, and that is the way its colour behaves in daylight and artificial light. Many gemstones change their colour depending on the light source. A true rubellite does not. It shines just as intensely in artificial light as it does in daylight. The colour of most other pink or red tourmalines, by contrast, displays a more or less clearly visible tinge of brown in artificial light."

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
blithesome71|1301144996|2880651 said:
hmmm, this might be an additional reference:

http://www.gemstone.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111:sapphire&catid=1:gem-by-gem&Itemid=14

"...There are red and pink tourmalines in many nuances, which include a tender pink, a fine shocking pink, an intense violet and a bold ruby-red. However, only a few of these are entitled to call themselves 'rubellites'. The name comes from the Latin 'rubellus', which means reddish. Rubellites are not merely red or shocking pink tourmalines. There is an important criterion for this especially beautiful gemstone, and that is the way its colour behaves in daylight and artificial light. Many gemstones change their colour depending on the light source. A true rubellite does not. It shines just as intensely in artificial light as it does in daylight. The colour of most other pink or red tourmalines, by contrast, displays a more or less clearly visible tinge of brown in artificial light."

This is all extremely interesting to me !!!!
However it shakes down, I know what I see in my tiny collection :lol:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a pretty stone. Hope to see some pictures soon!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've read so many conflicting reports on what is / what isn't Rubellite. Experts don't seem able to agree! My take on it is:-

1. It should be "ruby like" - so not too pink and veer more to red
2. It should hold it's colour in all lighting conditions (especially incandescent where pink tourmaline can look brown)

I went through a phase of trying to find "the" Rubellite and it actually surprised me how few DO hold their colour. I now only have 4 or 5 pieces but saw many many many to whittle it down.

Interestingly, locality doesn't seem to make a difference but the one thing my Rubellites have in common is that they are all a purplish red rather than pinkish red.

At the end of the day you should buy what you want but if you're paying slightly more for a "Rubellite" then (for me) it should fit the above criteria.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I often stress, "buy the stone", not buy the name. I've seen too many pinkish red tourmalines that do NOT hold their colour being advertised and sold as rubellites.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1301316933|2881739 said:
This is why I often stress, "buy the stone", not buy the name. I've seen too many pinkish red tourmalines that do NOT hold their colour being advertised and sold as rubellites.

I say ignore marketing names altogether, and buy the best saturation you can afford, and make sure the stone holds it's color, if you're a stickler for color that is. Not all people are, and prefer cut or other aspects of a gem (luster, shape, durability) to color. Marketing names drive me nuts and I'm against them as they confuse people and can lead to false advertising. For example "ruby" is a very old marketing name for red corundum, but so many pink sapphires are called rubies, but isn't a ruby RED?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, whatever it is called, I LOVE IT!
I seriously haven't been this impressed with a gem since Barry's tsavorite. The color is gorgeously yum, and pops like no other stone I've seen!

Sadly, my camera is awful at picking up the glow, but here is what I managed. I couldn't get any daylight photos since there is no more daylight, but i"ll be back tomorrow!

Oh man, I can't wait to set this one! I don't know if I"ll have the patience to ship this one to Sally...

IMG_8054.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

IMG_8049.JPG

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm so jealous!! I was third in line for that one. Such a tease too, because it said I got it! That's gorgeous! Wear it in good health.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry athenaworth! If it's any consolation, I promise I'll love it enough for the both of us! lol.

IMG_8070.JPG

IMG_8065.JPG

IMG_8064.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm very impressed with the color in incandescent light, so I can't wait to see it in daylight tomorrow! Yay!
And now to think of setting ideas...hmmm.

If ever there was a stone that tempted me to surround it by diamonds I think this would be the one!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
oh man, what have you done to me?! i've been soooo good, staying away from Barry's drops.. and this lusciousness is luring me back in!! NooooOOooooo!!

but seriously, it's one gorgeous tourmaline. 3 stone all the way!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1301358350|2882216 said:
oh man, what have you done to me?! i've been soooo good, staying away from Barry's drops.. and this lusciousness is luring me back in!! NooooOOooooo!!

but seriously, it's one gorgeous tourmaline. 3 stone all the way!

Haha, I for one can't resist Barry's drops no matter what. I just adore his cutting and he gets some truly stunning materials sometimes!

And my photos don't do this one justice at all, even Barry's photos don't show the glow this time! The tourmaline is 3 feet away from me right now, and I can see that hot color flashing at me!

It's also more red and less pink than the photos show.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results