shape
carat
color
clarity

Returning merchandise to Thai Vendor - customs documents?

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone.

I know there are a number of useful threads on this topic, but I have a particular question.

I am in the UK.
I wish to return stones to Thailand via a Courier, and do not want my Vendor to be hit with an unfair Customs charge.

When returning items to America, I have been able to enclose a couple of forms in my Fedex document wallet that have me signing a declaration that it is a return, and a scanned copy of the vendor's statement to that effect, and Customs in the USA duly release the merchandise to the Vendor with minimal delay and no charge.
Indeed US Customs have specific forms for the job.

Is there an equivalent for Thailand?

I have been scouring the Thai expat forums, and indeed the official Thai Customs website for information (emailed them and await a reply). I see that Fedex and DHL apparently have their own bonded warehouses for Customs, and that one can quite reasonably expect a charge if importing goods through them. However three queries arise:

i) Is there some official form, statement or documentation I can supply (obviously I have evidence of the Paypal transaction and original EMS shipping numbers, and order confirmation emails) or sign (as above) to declare it a Return and thus release it from Customs (though I am aware now that the seller will still probably be charged VAT and duty on the shipping and insurance fees regardless). Nothing is detailed on the Thai Customs website to this effect.

ii) When looking into the online duty calculator, it seems loose precious gemstones sent to Thailand attract zero duty and VAT even on import
http://www.mfat.govt.nz/downloads/trade-agreement/thailand/thaitariffschedule.pdf
https://www.dutycalculator.com/
http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s6
- so regardless of whether it is a 'Return' or plain import, would there be no VAT and duty anyway and am I worrying needlessly?

iii) If the correct Harmonised Code is applied, does it make packages going through even the major couriers more vulnerable to theft? Is there any realistic chance of theft through a major courier?

Thanks for any input.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Returning merchandise to Thai Vendor - customs documents

Email the vendor and ask for instructions. Some vendors may want you to declare the item as a "mineral sample" and the paperwork for that will be different.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

When I returned a stone to Tan once, I billed it as "mineral sample return" on his instructions.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1400680302|3677415 said:
When I returned a stone to Tan once, I billed it as "mineral sample return" on his instructions.
So did I...but I was SO nervous because it was 8K. I would never do it again though.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bright ice|1400697256|3677588 said:
JewelFreak|1400680302|3677415 said:
So did I...but I was SO nervous because it was 8K. I would never do it again though.

Agree completely. I won't rule out the fact that I'll never do it again, but if so, I sure will be nervous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results