shape
carat
color
clarity

Residue in a ruby sold at Christie's?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
From Harry Winston, no less. I wonder when the ring dates from -- bet it was after Harry died & the company sold.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea a treated ruby could be worth that much! Just begs the question: what's in a name?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

It sold for 98,000, or is that a per carat price. If it is the price, it reflects the treatment. Where are you getting an 8 ctw ruby for
98,000. I can't wait for the glass filled ones to turn up. I have several of those :lol: smiley here.

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies are one of those gems that go up exponentially in price above 2 and 3 carats, and when you get to the realm of 8 carats, that's enormous for a ruby. Therefore the size of the stone makes it valuable as well as the location (Burma).

Elizabeth Taylor's 8 carat untreated Burmese ruby in a ring would have still sold for millions whether or not it was owned by her.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
$99,000 was the final price, not per carat. so that works out to about $12,000 per carat. that is incredibly cheap for ruby (esp from burma, over 5 cts and with the harry winston brand). fine unheated burma ruby at 5 cts and up STARTS at around $30,000 per carat. hence, the pricing reflects the treatment, heat and what looks like not top color to me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slksapphire|1390134453|3596042 said:
$99,000 was the final price, not per carat. so that works out to about $12,000 per carat. that is incredibly cheap for ruby (esp from burma, over 5 cts and with the harry winston brand). fine unheated burma ruby at 5 cts and up STARTS at around $30,000 per carat. hence, the pricing reflects the treatment, heat and what looks like not top color to me.

True, what is more shocking to me is that Harry Winston would sell such a caliber of ruby. However, when you realize these big name jewelry houses are no longer run with the high standards by the people that founded them, it's not that surprising.

I think Graff is probably one of the few big name jewelry houses with extremely high standards, but I could be wrong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results