shape
carat
color
clarity

Replica of Tiffany Legacy Aquamarine

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite a lot of us buy the Aquamarines (or whatever stone we're looking for) and then buy a Legacyesque type setting from the Ebay vendor LOGR (Lord of Gems Rings) for a fraction of the price of the Tiffany ring. Here's a photo of mine with a garnet in. I believe a number of posters have put an Aqua in one as well. You can buy this setting as a full bezel or with prongs (like mine below).

Hope that helps.

Umbalite Garnet LOGR on hand_trim.JPG

Umbalite Garnet profile_1 trim.JPG

Umbalite Garnet in LOGR setting3 trim for ps.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pretty easy to do actually.

LOGR http://stores.ebay.com/Lord-of-Gem-Rings,,, and see what they have for cushion cut ring settings. They have legacy style settings sometimes. you could do 14, 18k or PT200. Hardest part will be finding your stone. If you want to go with a bezel, I would recommend stone that would be ok to be bezel set. if you go with a prong setting, then go with whatever stone catches your fancy.

If you're wanting something to fit just right, you'd be better off having the stone custom cut. But sometimes some of the cutters around here could have something already precut to fit your setting, so you would want to check out their websites. Being that you're wanting an aqua, 7mm or 8mm stone (depending if you're ok with heat or not) shouldn't be too bad pricewise.

I'm bad with remembering who's site has what stuff but there's a list of them in one of the stickies at the top of this forum.

-A

beach

Brilliant_Rock
LOGR will make any style ring you want so that it fits your stone. They are very flexible and you are not limited to the rings they have listed for sale :D

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene of precisiongem.com just got some aqua rough, and he can cut a cushion I would imagine. Depending on the size of the cushion, you can ask LOGR to customize the head to fit the cushion for an added fee. No matter what you spend, it will be thousands less than the real thing from Tiff & Co. I would also upgrade the diamonds on the LOGR as well.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
LOGR is a great solution for a relatively inexpensive (not cheap, but in the world of diamonds/14k relatively inexpensive) setting. If you are wanting a setting that is a bit more substantial, but still not "Tiffany" expensive, check out the Adwar or Stuller casting company websites. They aren't that easy to navigate and they don't sell to the general public, but if you find any settings that you like, most jewelers can order the setting for you. I'm pretty sure Wink and Michael E (and probably many others) can give you a price and get these setting for you.

I really like LOGR rings for what they are for the price, but if you are looking for a bit heavier/well made setting, these are a nice alternative to custom or "designer name" settings, but they WILL be more money than LOGR.

This is just one setting on the Adwar site, I know it's not the same as what you are looking for, but it gives you an idea. Just search under ladies rings / cushion and it has dozens.

style_top.jpg

ked123

Rough_Rock
Wow- it looks like I have alot of options. I think sourcing the stone and getting a separate setting will probably be the way to go.

Lovingdiamonds- your Garnet ring is just gorgeous- that is exactly what I am looking for. I went onto LOGR's selection on ebay. I think I will call them as I couldn't find the exact setting you had. Does it happen to have a name/style for the setting that I could reference?

Also, please forgive my ignorance on this- who actually sets the stone? I assume that I purchase the setting first, then look for an aquamarine to accomodate it?

I need to do some additional research on aquamarines before I am ready to buy. Can anyone recommend a resource where I can study up? I am loving the color of the Tiffany stone. I haven't seen anything quite like it in the other places I've looked- mostly lighter blue stones, etc. I am sure that I can get a similar quality stone to Tiffany's elsewhere- I just need to know where to look and what to look for.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys - I tried clicking on that link but it seems broken - how do I find Lord of the rings? I'm looking for exactly what the OP is so I'd love to see what he has.

Also, someone mentioned a sticky where aquas can be sourced -- doht! I'm not sure where that is - can' someone help a newbie? TYVM!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UGH! That wuld have been me that screwed up the url. (sorry)

Here's the 8mm bezel http://cgi.ebay.com/Cushion-8mm-Diamond-Semi-Mount-14k-White-Gold-ring-/260739476970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb548adea

here's the 7mm prong
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-14K-WHITE-GOLD-SEMI-MOUNT-RING-CUSHION-7MM-/260738967983?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb540e9af

You can upgrade the gold to 18K, and upgrade the diamonds as well. All in all it does make for a better ring usually (I always upgrade to 18K)

If you have a jeweler, they can set the stone for you for a nominal fee. I tend to go to jewelers that can also do repairs as I find those are the ones that have worked on all kinds of stones and setting types. I also don't like going to chain stores, local stores are where you will build your best relationships.

-A

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think you will find it much easier to get the stone first, then order a setting to match the stone. If you go the other way around, you will greatly limit the choices in finding a stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1298040262|2854656 said:
I think you will find it much easier to get the stone first, then order a setting to match the stone. If you go the other way around, you will greatly limit the choices in finding a stone.

I agree with this, as I had to learn this the hard way.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
lavatea|1297986861|2854286 said:
I think DanielM on etsy can source a stone for you, too, if you'd like.

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/36605280

Ooh, this one is my RHR. I had DanielM make it because I didn't want the milgrain. I also ended up choosing platinum instead of white gold.

Dan can definitely source you a stone. But if you are looking for a brighter/more intense blue, you might want to look at blue topaz too. And I agree with the others - you should find your stone first, and then get a setting that will fit your stone's dimensions. Good luck!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
sandyandisaac|1298047020|2854716 said:

Ooh, this one is my RHR. I had DanielM make it because I didn't want the milgrain. I also ended up choosing platinum instead of white gold.

Dan can definitely source you a stone. But if you are looking for a brighter/more intense blue, you might want to look at blue topaz too. And I agree with the others - you should find your stone first, and then get a setting that will fit your stone's dimensions. Good luck!

I hope you were OK with me posting it. It's so beautiful, and it immediately came to mind when I read the thread.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cellentani|1297996708|2854441 said:

You were lucky to have a good setter do the bezel. I just removed a tourmaline from an LOGR bezel that my jeweler, who is great at prong setting, did a lousy job on. The hard part is finding someone with good setting talent that can do a nice smooth even bezel. Even the bezels on the real Tiffany legacies, are shoddily done.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
lavatea|1298049278|2854749 said:
sandyandisaac|1298047020|2854716 said:

I hope you were OK with me posting it. It's so beautiful, and it immediately came to mind when I read the thread.

Yes, I'm definitely OK with you posting it. Thanks so much for thinking about it. :)
I just thought I'd provide a bit more information for ked123.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I don't read all the thread but would like to know if the Tiffany was mount high like yours? Really high IMO. Not sure I like it from profile.

ked123

Rough_Rock
Thanks again. Some really great leads for this project. I am going to start with the stone first, as you all recommended. I am really trying to avoid the "light colored" aquamarines you see so much in the chain stores. I love the deep blue that Tiffany has in their aquamarines. It is simply beautiful; different from the blue topaz I've seen as well. I will try Precision Gems and if anyone has further recommendations for vendors who would supply a quality stone, please let me know.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have found the real colors of their stones in real life can leave much to be desired....

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if Frekechild's post is re: Gemfix, but will share that my personal experience with Gemfix has been entirely positive and more than satisfactory - I purchased a blue zircon and a pink tourmaline (separate transactions months apart) and in real life both stones matched their website photos as well as the written descriptions - I would not hesitate to recommend Gemfix based on these transactions, and in fact have another Gemfix stone on the way which I look forward to receiving this week.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1298049470|2854753 said:

You were lucky to have a good setter do the bezel. I just removed a tourmaline from an LOGR bezel that my jeweler, who is great at prong setting, did a lousy job on. The hard part is finding someone with good setting talent that can do a nice smooth even bezel. Even the bezels on the real Tiffany legacies, are shoddily done.
TL, did either your stone or setting suffer damage from removing it? :errrr:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cellentani|1298163352|2855672 said:
tourmaline_lover|1298049470|2854753 said:

TL, did either your stone or setting suffer damage from removing it? :errrr:

I will give my jeweler some cudos for not damaging the stone, and the setting is reusable with some labor. They quoted me $120 to get it back to usable status (new prongs and smoothing out the gold). The stone is perfectly fine, as I know many stones can chip or scratch while being bezeled, and my stone came out unscathed. I will prong set it at some point in the future. I'm so glad to see the sides of it, as it was a precision cut gem by Gene, and the bezel covered up way too much of the gem.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
marymm|1298161522|2855655 said:
Not sure if Frekechild's post is re: Gemfix, but will share that my personal experience with Gemfix has been entirely positive and more than satisfactory - I purchased a blue zircon and a pink tourmaline (separate transactions months apart) and in real life both stones matched their website photos as well as the written descriptions - I would not hesitate to recommend Gemfix based on these transactions, and in fact have another Gemfix stone on the way which I look forward to receiving this week.
I'm talking Tiffanys. I have no experience with Gemfix.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1298153200|2855597 said:
I have found the real colors of their stones in real life can leave much to be desired....

That is true about Tiffany. I think they enhance the color of their gems in their photo ads. IRL, they are not that spectacular.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
BEG and I both have bezeled LOGR tiffany legacy inspired rings. Check out my aviator.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results