shape
carat
color
clarity

replacing my diamond with a sapphire?

amilano89

Rough_Rock
hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

i have a Verragio Venetian 50005 cu e ring and in the center is a 1.01 ct diamond. I was thinking about going with a bigger sized sapphire. i'm totally new to this so I'm looking for some guidance.

The jewelry store I got my ring from has a trade in policy that if you trade in your diamond, what you paid for it can go to a new stone as long as the new stone is double the value (what a deal lol) anyway. should i go through them or another vender and keep my diamond? i want to double the size to a 2ct which means i would need a bigger halo, so i would have to have the halo thats on there now completely replaced now, right?

here are some pictures. i'm just looking for a good starting point of what to do here. here are some attached pictures. sorry for the terrible quality, i had to use my webcam at work.

Photo on 2011-11-08 at 14.56.jpg

Photo on 2011-11-08 at 14.57.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If you are wanting to use a stone that much bigger you will probably be better getting a completely new ring as so much would need to be replaced.

As far as the sapphire goes, unless your jeweller is knowledgeable about sapphires, their possible treatments, what a good sapphire looks like and suppliers that stock them then you are probably better going elsewhere.

In terms of a sapphire, what kind of colour and shape are you looking for and what kind of budget do you have?

Are you okay with heat-treatment or do you want unheated?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly doubt you'll be able to reuse your current setting since you are planning to up the diamond size from 6 mm up to 7 mm, especially for a halo setting. Also, most B&M stores aren't well versed in what makes a good gemstone or gemstone treatments. If looking to reuse the existing setting, I'd rather get a sapphire on my own, than get the store to find me one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results